yconic - Interesting blog article about school vs work
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Interesting blog article about school vs work

A photo of Doro17 Doro17
My friend sent me a link to this article,its one heck of a read but its interesting to say the least. I wonder how many go through what this guy did. I mean I heard some horror storys with osap but nothing like this. Kinda scary.

http://angryblogman.wordpress.com/2011/12/02/post-secondary-education-is-it-worth-it/
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
That was pretty long, and I didn't read it all, but part of me really doesn't believe what he's writing. It just sounds way too dramatic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slasher61 Slasher61
Its a bunch of bs. You can't really believe a source like this. This is way to biased in my opinon
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK
Self indulgent rambling =/= interesting blog article.

If this had a blurb it would say:
I went to university and was arrogant and naive enough to believe that I would walk straight into an amazing job which would change my life; this didn't happen so I wrote this to bitch about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
He ran into a number of bad situations, which together seem unlikely, but something like that is bound to happen to someone and that person is probably going to write a blog about it. A similar set of circumstances is very unlikely to happen to any of us, but he definitely brings up a few good points:

1) ALWAYS OVERESTIMATE YOUR EXPECTED EXPENSES. If you think you're superhuman by being able to live off $100 of groceries a month, good for you, but don't let the person potentially lending you money based on your needs know this. This guy seemed way to stubborn to shift his expected expenses, and he paid the price: little to no OSAP.

2) Lots of people get university degrees these days. Having a university degree does not make you special, and it certainly is not a big advantage when applying for jobs. I have personally been rejected from jobs for being overqualified, for pretty much the exact same reasons the blog writer mentioned. Hippies who think their Arts degree is going to give them an edge are deluded.

3) A series of unfortunate events happens to all of us. Simply whining about it to others is not enough. There's no natural reason for life to be easy; deal with it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26

@Doro17 wrote
My friend sent me a link to this article,its one heck of a read but its interesting to say the least. I wonder how many go through what this guy did. I mean I heard some horror storys with osap but nothing like this. Kinda scary.

http://angryblogman.wordpress.com/2011/12/02/post-secondary-education-is-it-worth-it/

I read more than half of it (it was too long-winded) and all I can say is that this guy was painfully vague in telling us what exactly was on his OSAP form. He says that he appealed again and again and again... Honestly, did he expect something to change by submitting the exact same form in every single time?

Given the lack of details, the tone of this guy's article, and the fact that he self-describes himself as "Angry Blog Man", something tells me that he's the type of person who finds things in life to whine about and does very little to change them. You can have a high IQ and still be an idiot in life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of petarpoparacrni petarpoparacrni
How about we fully subsidize university education for Canadian citizens so the nation's youth aren't saddled with thousands in student loans or having to work during school weeks.

EDIT: I think he brings up a good point about OSAP being abused. The government can potentially be wasting millions on people who don't need OSAP (ie they use it to buy TVs and not pay for school).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@petarpoparacrni wrote
How about we fully subsidize university education for Canadian citizens so the nation's youth aren't saddled with thousands in student loans or having to work during school weeks.

That's the worst idea I've ever heard. Well, maybe it's not that bad, but I don't like it. A university degree is not needed for most jobs, and someone who has a university degree is likely not going to perform a simple job any better than someone with only a high school diploma. A university degree is a luxury, as it, on average, leads to higher paying jobs than college diplomas and technical certificates. Like any other luxury, you have to give up something for it: money. It's an investment (and it has some risks, like other forms of investment). Pay $50k now to most likely end up making $500k (real $) more over your lifetime.

Of course, there are a lot of idiots who don't see the university education as being this way; rather, they see it as being a forum for discovering who they are and for learning what they've always wanted to learn, both of which can be done for much cheaper and equally as effectively by doing similar activities on one's own time (i.e. as hobbies). If they're fine with paying $50k to discover themselves and learn what they've always wanted to learn, with no regards to any gain in employability or likely salary, then by all means, pursue a degree. Just don't come crying when you can't pay back your student loans.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jamison Jamison
mynameismattgotmlgo is somewhat right. But their is a greater underlying in all of this. Choices is what separate you from the rest. You may be asking choices. Their are ways to beat the system. If you don't make that much, live thrifty like the chinese. Buy only if it a necessary and not a want, use the tax system to your advantage, safe those tax refunds if you don't make as much. Reinvest those saving into equity or things that will garner you passive income. Start your own business. I know these steps are a simplification but in general people need to think outside the box and get the big picture of how the world runs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cheers123 cheers123
I find it VERY hard to believe that a person with and ENGINEERING degree couldnt get a job as a janitor
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cheers123 wrote
I find it VERY hard to believe that a person with and ENGINEERING degree couldnt get a job as a janitor

Why is that hard to believe? A person with an engineering degree isn't likely going to make a better janitor than anyone else, and he or she is almost certainly going to quit as soon as they find a better job, which probably won't be too long.
Was this helpful? Yes 0