yconic - International Developement and Globalization Co-op program
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

International Developement and Globalization Co-op program

A photo of Chickadee Chickadee
Hey everyone!

I'm a grade 10 student interested in the co-op program for International Developement and Globalization and University of Ottawa. I know a lot of grade 12 students who have been applying to this program, and I'm starting to think that it's getting very copetitive.

Because there is the option to apply for the coop when doing your regular application in grade 12, I was wondering what I can do now to help myself rise above competition for early admittance to the coop program. Is it strictly grades or more?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of LaPetiteTanya LaPetiteTanya
It's more than just grades. Volunteer hours and fincancial need also qualify you for scholarships. Get really involved :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Alright Thanks! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NumberOne NumberOne

@LaPetiteTanya wrote
It's more than just grades. Volunteer hours and fincancial need also qualify you for scholarships. Get really involved :)

Not for co-op.

For co-op and/or admittance to programs it's 100% about grades. UOttawa doesn't make you fill out a supplementary application.

However, if you want scholarships (money to help pay your tuition), that is when you are going to need grades + extra curriculars.

With that said, it's still very important to have extra curriculars because many other programs do take that into account e.g U of T, Queen's etc.

Good luck :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

I heard that when applying for undergraduate studies, you just have to mark a box that says you wan't to take co-op... good to know that they only accept based on grades!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NumberOne NumberOne

@Chickadee wrote
I heard that when applying for undergraduate studies, you just have to mark a box that says you wan't to take co-op... good to know that they only accept based on grades!

Yes that is correct, you have to select a box.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leahquin leahquin
Find some kind of related volunteer experience ie. working with new immigrants/refugees
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Brownie42 Brownie42
I am wondering if there is anyone who is IN a global studies/international development program and who can tell me what its all about. i have the gist of it, but i want to know where i can go and what i can do with it, if i decide to take it...
i applied to laurier global studies
accepted to trent - international development studies
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uoftlover uoftlover
Universities love people who are well-rounded... having work experience or a lot of extra-curriculars is always a step above...
But for International Development programs, MODEL UNITED NATIONS!
Not sure if your school has a Model UN team, but it's the greatest way to learn about international issues, get teacher references for university, and have a lot of fun!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Thanks! I'm pretty sure my school has one, and I'll see if I can get involved. However,I'm already thinking of joining Make Poverty History. Would that be useful as well?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uoftlover uoftlover
Never heard of that before... But it sounds promising!
Was this helpful? Yes 0