yconic - International Development
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

International Development

A photo of Limelight Limelight
Any ID students able to give an idea of how the program is as well as which universities have better programs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of jabberparrot jabberparrot
Yay! Another person interested in ID! I'm looking to go to UBC and take their International Relations program, which is very similar to ID. I'd love to know this too! Anyone?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
UTSC has a really good coop international development program. Waterloo and York have pretty good programs. Carleton has a Public Affairs and Policy Management Coop program where you can specialize in international studies or development studies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sevenzeroz sevenzeroz

@Respects wrote
UTSC has a really good coop international development program. Waterloo and York have pretty good programs. Carleton has a Public Affairs and Policy Management Coop program where you can specialize in international studies or development studies.

From what I've heard, UofT and UTSC are good for international/development programs.

I myself go to Carleton in the BPAPM program, and there are options to specialize in international studies, development studies, etc. There's also the BA in Poli Sci specializing in international relations or the Global Politics Degree which focuses exclusively on internationally related subjects.

I don't know if I would say one degree is ever better than another degree....but there IS a difference in the OPPORTUNITIES available at each university, as well as the COURSE CONTENT of each degree. So I would suggest looking at what kind of courses you would be taking for each degree/what elective options you have.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
I haven't personally taken IDS, but I've heard based on my peers that it's one of the hardest first year courses here at Trent due to the amount of information they throw at you and expect you to know. I don't know anyone who's gotten anything higher than a 75 in that course no matter how hard they tried. It's very discouraging but it's still a very good field, especially if you want to work for an NGO!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I am at UOttawa for an economics and development degree. I know the development program here has garnered some attention recently and there are alot of courses popping up with special features like trips. HOWEVER, I do not know much about other programs, check out UO and check out the others, it is a great program to get into and I wish you all the best.
Was this helpful? Yes 0