yconic - Internship! How do I secure a summer internship?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Internship! How do I secure a summer internship?

A photo of Meja Meja
I really need ideas on how to get a business related internship this summer. I am doing Finance and Economics [3rd year] at Rotman Commerce but I will grab any nice internship that I can secure by March. I have been applying to some online stuff but I feel like I am not being effective enough. My GPA is not excellent. I am that average B student and I haven't failed any course yet. Which new strategies can I try? I am willing to work anywhere in Canada. Helpful tips are welcomed :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of g93 g93
There's a lot of questions that could be asked. Do you have any relevant work experience? Any work experience? Do you have a strong interest in finance? Is your resume written strongly, or could it use a lot of work? Do you have anything tangible to put on your resume? Where have you been applying? How many places have you been turned down by? Does your school have a job postings board/website? Career center? What kinds of places have you applied to? Do you have any friends/relatives that work in places that you might be considering?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheConsultant TheConsultant
Multiple ways to get your foot in the door and try to land a job but before you get an interview you also need to make sure you have good communication skills, write a strong purposeful cover letter and a purpose built resume. For finance follow this http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/recruiting/

So now ways to get jobs:

1) Network, there are always things happening on campus and you should be going to company events to network, get emails and stay in contact with people in industry.
2) School career centres will have job posting and guidance
3) Look at your family and friends for any connections. I had an interview with a guy from a large finance company through 3 degrees of connection separation, by presenting myself in the right way he took my resume and forwarded it to 3 other firms.
4)Apply on-line, i find his tends to be a black hole mostly
5) you can hire agencies to find you jobs
6) sleep with upper level management, not ethically correct but i find it quite effective (:p)

its all about getting your foot in the door, and if you are desperate you need to be emailing eveyrone, and always staying in ouch and developing a useful relationship, but make sure you arent becoming a annoyance. In all honesty though, you are starting vey late, hiring happened last semester for the most part for consulting and finance, i think some IB jobs are still out there but starting early and planning ahead of time is key, and sadly you didn't do it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meja Meja

g93

Here are some answers. I was an administrative assistant for the last two years at my registrar's office [Just helping with the little office stuff, not finance related]. Yes, I am passionate about finance, it is the reason I came to Rotman. I can get any random minimum wage job but I need a finance related experience this summer. My resume is not awful, I have revised it with a career counselor several times. I have been applying to the big banks. Summer jobs are mostly posted this month by the career center. It is not totally hopeless yet but I want to get it right the first time.

TheConsultant

"sleep with upper level management, not ethically correct but i find it quite effective (:p)". Ahaha. I am a guy by the way. I have worked on My resume and cover letter. I can safely say that they are ok. Thanks for all the nice ideas. Our career counselors say that Jan-Feb is when most firms fill summer positions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
Just apply to 50 million places. Companies have spots for students to do finance-related work. If your GPA isn't that great and you aren't uber-involved, you may have trouble getting a top-level job. Work somewhere doing less glorified work and maybe start earlier next year and build on that experience.

Also their are some females that work in upper-level management btw. Just ur chances are so slim.

On a related note, is it possible for me to get a big 4 summer position? I'm doing pretty good marks-wise and my resume is pretty good i think, i'm pretty sure i could do good in an interview. can i apply, or is too late? i heard their recruiting season is september-october. thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Meja wrote

g93

Here are some answers. I was an administrative assistant for the last two years at my registrar's office [Just helping with the little office stuff, not finance related]. Yes, I am passionate about finance, it is the reason I came to Rotman. I can get any random minimum wage job but I need a finance related experience this summer. My resume is not awful, I have revised it with a career counselor several times. I have been applying to the big banks. Summer jobs are mostly posted this month by the career center. It is not totally hopeless yet but I want to get it right the first time.

As cookiemonster said, there are many places other than banks that are looking for finance students. It's worth an application. I'm guessing there's a fair bit of competition for the jobs at the big banks. Check the careers section of company websites. There's sometimes a finance summer position available, especially if you're in the GTA.

Passionate about finance: are you involved with your school's investment club, do you do anything related to finance on your own time?

Do you have any finance experience? Any computer applications experience? Anything tangible. It's one thing to say you have experience with Excel or Bloomberg, it's another to have taken courses on it (just an example).

TheConsultant gave you some good information (especially the link) that can help with recruiting. I would suggest building your resume, applying to everywhere, then hoping for an interview somewhere you'd like.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
Become a networking ninja.
Use the resume template on Mergers and Inquisitions.
Apply to everything.
Try to get a mentor in an industry you want to enter into.
Play up any experience you have. EG. Were you a lifeguard before? Maybe you implemented a new program that raised revenue, or analyzed which swims worked best at what times for optimal scheduling. Play that shizz up.
Take your CSC if you want to do finance. You actually learn some good stuff, and it shows you're willing to go beyond normal coursework to get a job. Only takes about 2 weeks for studying, so you can do it now if you really want, before your courses pick up.
Once you applied to everything, apply to it all again, with an alias.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheConsultant TheConsultant
OP there are upper level females especially in HR, im a dude too. Let me start by saying that im not going into finance, as my name suggests management consulting is much more my area. While majority of general recruiting will occur now, consulting and finance jobs have been filled up, atleast here at queens.

my sencond point will be more general, people, please do not say that you think your resume is good, you shouldn't be your only rating scale. Especially considering most of you are highschool and first years, i cant tell you that you have a very limited idea to what a really good resume should look like. i would seriously suggest getting a professional to look at your resume to critic it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0