yconic - Is a co-op program better?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is a co-op program better?

A photo of Mel141 Mel141
Does co-op generally make a program better? or does it depend on the type of jobs you get? Is it better to take a co-op program over a non-co-op or should is just come down to the school/program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of link link
Co-op is great for almost all programs, it gives you that much needed experience that employers crave. One of the few benefits of non co-op is that you graduate 1 year sooner, but that's about it.

tl;dr If you're offered co-op, go for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
^ + 1

I'll give you an example. Some people choose Laurier BBA over other higher ranked, more prestigious b-schools such as Queen's, Schulich or even Western/Ivey because of the co-op opportunities at Laurier that don't exist at the other programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I think it depends on the program. For math, engineering, business, accounting, etc - yes. Basically any field in which work experience is the main factor to getting a job. But if you want to be a neurosurgeon, co-op isn't going to help you get into med school or get a residency afterwards.
Was this helpful? Yes 0