yconic - Is a minor necessary?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is a minor necessary?

A photo of Golaso Golaso
I've been hearing different things in regards to how close employers look at if you have a minor or not. During interviews, they almost always ask what you're majoring in and the type of marks you get, but nothing more. I also know only a few countries have the major/minor system, in most places it is only a major. On the other hand, having a minor is surely a good way to "sell" yourself a bit, showing you have a backround in multiple areas.

Does anyone here not have one? Is it better to have no minor and take a few easy courses to make your average higher, or have a minor with a slightly lower overally average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Minors are pretty useless unless you're going into teaching. Employers really won't care what you minored in and most won't even bother to ask.

I was minoring in psych in undergrad but I ended up graduating a year early (in 3 years rather than 4) so I didn't get it :(. I took a lot of psych electives because I'm super interested in the field (if I hadn't gone into science, I would've gone into psych), so I figured I might as well get a minor out of it. And a minor shouldn't really have any effect on your GPA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Golaso Golaso

@inthemaking wrote
Minors are pretty useless unless you're going into teaching. Employers really won't care what you minored in and most won't even bother to ask.

I was minoring in psych in undergrad but I ended up graduating a year early (in 3 years rather than 4) so I didn't get it :(. I took a lot of psych electives because I'm super interested in the field (if I hadn't gone into science, I would've gone into psych), so I figured I might as well get a minor out of it. And a minor shouldn't really have any effect on your GPA.

Lol, thanks. :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Golaso Golaso
By the way, if one was to get a minor, would it be better to be similar to the major, to give more backround (i.e. accounting major, economics minor) or something completely different, for a more diverse backround (i.e. accounting major, science/history/law/etc minor)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0