yconic - Is an 84% average enough?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is an 84% average enough?

A photo of TheFemaleEngineer TheFemaleEngineer
Hey guys,

I applied to Guelph and Queens for mechanical engineering. My admissions avg for Guelph is approx. 84, and the prospective book says 76-80. I know sometimes that the actual ag is much higher. Do you think this is ok? I'm really nervous!

My admission avg for Queens is much lower at an 81 :( This is the school that I really want to get into though. The website and prospective book says 77, and that seems really low. On the CUDO,the majority of students got in with 89%. do i really have a chance?

Thanks guys :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of TheCatherine TheCatherine
you will probably get into guelph... for queens, you might get in if your ECs are really strong (apparently they really look at that) HOWEVER, if you dont get into queens reallyyyy want to go, you can always transfer for second year !
Was this helpful? Yes 0

For my EC's I have the religious education group at my school, i was vp of a environmental club, have over 200 hrs, recently began an independent research project and am part of my school choir. Do you think those are enough? Most of my hours come from providing food and some clothing to the homeless on the weekend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheCatherine TheCatherine
that should be enough...
i cant guarantee anything for queens though (it'll depend on other applicants whether you get in or not)... but you will probably get into guelph :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tukr tukr
You're likely good for Guelph! I know of some people who have gotten into Queens with low 80s, you might have to be patient though. A friend of mine got waitlisted with a lowish-mid 80 I think last year but he got accepted around early June. Make sure your PSE is good, Queens loves them some well-rounded students (my dad's a Queen's prof haha)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@tukr, Are you sure? I'm just concerned b/c they only take five marks for engineering, and that avg will be really low. I'm thinking of retaking biology to upgrade it next semester. if they only first sem finals and second sem mideterms, will they take the bio midterm if its higher??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lolapop lolapop
I'm hoping for Queen's as well!
81% is a little low for Queen's, the minimum is supposedly 80% but your ECs are great, so that'll make a difference.
Best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lolapop

thanks!! i'm hoping the EC's are enough, and i hope you get in too :) its odd, i applied everywhere you did too! does anybodythink i should complete the forms available if my avg falls below the admission's? i'm considering it, but i hope thy wont look at me in a negative light bc of it. :s
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tukr tukr
I definitely know of people who had PSEs help get them in - they did have to wait for a while, and it doesn't help that queen's does their acceptances relatively late.. Since your average does fall within the minimum I'd definitely try and bump that up if you can. Queen's minimums on the website really aren't always true (ex. they list 87+ for commerce but in reality it is a 90+), although on the contrary I even know a 4th year electrical engineer who didn't even get a 70% in 4U english. Bottom line try as hard as you can, definitely make sure you have a good PSE and don't be afraid to wait it out!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0