yconic - Is an honours degree a must when applying to grad school?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is an honours degree a must when applying to grad school?

A photo of leiden leiden
I'm sure this question has been asked multiple times, but the answers are so vague and far that I'm not sure where to proceed.

I want to go to grad school for political science, in particular, LSE. LSE has something about getting a honours degree or an equivalent and a lot of other universities do too.

I really screwed up in my first year at university. I made a 70% average but I did really well in the two political science courses I took. But the way the honours program works at my university is admission from second year and no chances after that. Despite busting my balls off and getting an 84% average in my second year, it didn't even out my overall GPA to the required 80% for honours.

My question is, if I graduate with an 80+ GPA, and my marks are continually high in political science courses, will it be enough for me to go without an honours or should I give up this idea? I understand a lot of universities formulate honours degree around grades so would having grades equivalent to an honours degree be enough?

Thanks in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Depends on the school, check with the school you're looking into.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Just start getting some research experience as soon as possible and good grades. That should count the most.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of asyeda asyeda

@leiden wrote
I'm sure this question has been asked multiple times, but the answers are so vague and far that I'm not sure where to proceed.

I want to go to grad school for political science, in particular, LSE. LSE has something about getting a honours degree or an equivalent and a lot of other universities do too.

I really screwed up in my first year at university. I made a 70% average but I did really well in the two political science courses I took. But the way the honours program works at my university is admission from second year and no chances after that. Despite busting my balls off and getting an 84% average in my second year, it didn't even out my overall GPA to the required 80% for honours.

My question is, if I graduate with an 80+ GPA, and my marks are continually high in political science courses, will it be enough for me to go without an honours or should I give up this idea? I understand a lot of universities formulate honours degree around grades so would having grades equivalent to an honours degree be enough?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Leiden, usually, yes, that is the case - but there are also a lot of programs that will give you 'conditional acceptance' if you are a high achiever, but don't necessarily have an Honours degree. You may have to achieve a certain grade during your first semester or take additional courses. Contact the university you want to attend directly and they will be able to clarify the program requirements. Best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Typically yes, because an honours degree is 4 years and you need a 4 year degree for most grad schools. Also, getting a reference letter from a thesis supervisor is pretty important to getting in since they have overseen your research and would be able to comment on your ability to work in a lab, stay organized, write up a report, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0