yconic - is anyone else stressed out or is it just me?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

is anyone else stressed out or is it just me?

A photo of CalliePaascheton CalliePaascheton
[size=6][size=6]okay so today was the first day of school and I woke up with this sudden fear like "Holy sh*t i'm in grade 12!! What do I do?" [/size]

And then I go to school and i'm not as anxious anymore, after seeing my friends i'm sort of excited. :)

and I come home I go on StudentAwards and EVERYONE is like: Oh my average is a 92% or 94% or 96%!!! and they're [size=6]ALL asking if they can get into their programs, and so NOW I'M SUPER STRESSED OUT BECAUSE OMG WHY ARE YOU ALL SO SMART? I MEAN I FINISHED TWO GR12 COURSE WITH A 90% IN BOTH BUT TO MAINTIN An AVERAGE OVER 90%! [/size] Like you guys are just AMAZING I mean i dont know how you guys DO it! Especially with all those extra curricular and everything and i know theres geniuses out there but SO MANY of these smart people!! I feel like I admire and envy them but at the same time i'm just screaming in my head "OMG CALLIE you're SCREWED!!"

So yea thats my rant. Tough competition out there I know, I just don't get it. I mean at school everyone is so...well not dumb but y'know, and then its like once they go home and log onto StudentAwards they show their true colour! Which leaves people like me with a mid to high 80 average to be FREAKING OUT right now!!!
omg I'm stressing myself out again *breathe* *breathe* okay okay I'll end my rant here. :/ [/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of 33639 33639
You know, I don't have a 90% average...and I've been trying for years...well just the past few years. I'm a year younger than you are, going to grade 11 and I haven't yet managed to get a 90% average. I worked insanely hard most of the time, but didn't get a 90% average.

I guess the point of my rant was that you're not the only one who doesn't have a 90%. There is a handful of people on this forum who have high marks and well I just wish I could also get those marks. So I'm going to study and do my work as hard as I can! I'll try and then I'll get a passable mark. HA!

I don't know what the cut-off percentage is for signing up for each university but I guess you'll know what it was next summer, after sending in applications and stuff like that...

I spent some time looking at eINFO, google it. It has requirements and percentages that they want. But I think you might have already seen this website, I don't know. =/

School's a lot of work, wish it wasn't though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jingjinglan jingjinglan
first of all, calm down girl

secondly, in the end comparing yourself to the rest of the people with 90+% won't help you at all. So just focus on doing the best you can now. You can't control external factors like the grades of other people so improve the factors you can control, namely yourself.

Okay don't mistake this for bragging but I often get asked the same question of "how do you juggle so many extracurriculars while having one of the highest averages in our grade?" I've consistently earned 92%+ all throughout high school so here are my few cents:

I'd like the answer to the above question to be my amazing time management skills but considering how much time I waste on the internet and reading books, it's not really that. What I will say though is to be efficient.

I could be fooling around on tumblr or facebook from 3pm to 8pm. But when push comes to shove and I have homework to do, I do it. I do it quickly and I do it well.

So how do you become efficient? It's all about the small stuff. You know that 20min after your math teacher finishes the lesson and everybody starts talking and not doing the work? That's the time to do it. I use this as an example because I barely had any math homework to take home last year because I finished it all in class. It's all about how you use the time given to you in class. If you want to succeed, sometimes you have to sacrifice things and endure hardships that other people can't be bothered to do.

Another thing I have to say is to become engaged in your learning. Don't just passively listen to the teacher and pray to god everything your teacher is saying is somehow going to make sense later that night when you do homework (I see it with my friends all the time-- they think that they can figure it out later. More often than not, they don't). Make sure you are understanding the why's and the how's. If you don't, ask questions!!! A teacher is there to help you! Nobody is going to judge you because you don't get something and if they do, screw them because you care about your education.

That's another reason to start on your homework in class. If you run into difficulties, your teacher is there to help you. I find that once you grasp a concept, it'd be hard to forget it and it makes for studying for tests/exams much easier. All you need to do is to review concepts you already know to refresh them and you're set. Developing a positive attitude towards learning will make school more fun and enriching :D

The important thing to remember is to just enjoy high school. Marks are important but don't forsake everything for marks. Have fun too :) a healthy appreciation for life will help you in all aspects of life.

I hope this has been helpful :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jingjinglan jingjinglan
aaannnddd the main message of my long-ass reply is that: it's never too late to start improving! You're in grade 12, so let's get those grade 12 marks up! If you're not applying for early admission, I see no reason why your grade 12 marks can't average over 90%...you're pretty much there anyways. It's not a far stretch from high 80s to over 90. Just be prepared to work hard :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
I honestly think its a horrible misconception that everyone with a high average is "smart." I find high school so study-based that I personally believe that anyone who puts the effort into tedious and rigorous studying can get that 90 average. There is definitely a factor of natural intelligence in correlation to marks, but the fact is that they are not always accurate. I know some very brilliant people who do poorly in any course they aren't absolutely interested in. I also know people who study hard every single day that can acknowledge that some of those lazy kids are just truly brilliant. Personally, I'm not the most motivated or determined student, but I do have a care for my future and I will meet the requirements in order to find myself in a viable and comfortable situation several years down the line.

That being said, I've only ever had a 90 average once, and on the dot. For only one semester. My marks go anywhere from the high 70s to the mid 90s. There are plenty of great programs that don't necessarily need 90 averages. Even by the top-tier standards, almost every program has a school that will take students from the 80s. I'm sure most people at your school and every school has a very small amount of students who actually have a 90+ average. The amount of people who have 90s are a very small minority, this forum is just filled with people who are highly academically-inclined in addition to a very strong interest and concern for their education. You shouldn't really be too intimidated by them. After all, there are tons of people who would probably be intimidated by your marks as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
Seriously, do not worry about other people. Talking about grades just creates unnecessary competition and hurt feelings. You only need to worry about yourself and work towards your personal best.

I had extremely high marks, and, there would be people asking me about my latest evaluation. Towards the end of the semester people just stopped asking me. From that point on I just stopped sharing my grades with people.

A good grade does not necessarily mean you are intelligent – and definitely not genius. I personally know a lot of people who can memorize and regurgitate information easily. While they got good grades and got accepted into prestigious schools they were hardly worthy of my respect. I know a lot of Asian people, I am half Asian for the record, that got into a good university but are really stupid.

Really though, there is just a relationship between success and time. People who are successful at anything, and everything, have put countless hours towards their success.
Subsequently, these people who have created regimented lifestyle with a focus on school become successful. Some people just more effort into school than others. It really is about evaluating yourself and putting forth the effort. I think anybody that is of average intelligence is more than capable of achieving the grades they desire.

Try to set aside an hour per course or more. If you do not understand something - chances are you missed something along the way. Talking to teachers is a good way of figuring out where they stand and how to improve your marks.

Even if you do come up short – do not beat yourself up. Your high school grades are not going to define you or limit your capacity to go the distance in life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
Studentawards forums are only visited by a few people, believe it or not. Most of us don't represent the general population, and there are a lot fewer people with 90%+ averages out there than you think. You may think there are a lot of them because you are being influenced by them. So as for being stressed out, you are far from alone. There are numerous students like you in every single high school. Don't beat yourself up if you don't do as well as the top students in your school, it's not about who gets the highest possible grades or better scholarships or whatever. Once again, remember that although you may see very few on these forums, there are tons of students out there striving to even get close to what you are achieving. Do your best, and know that you are eligible for tons of good programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
why do you use so many fonts, sizes and colors? it's obnoxious to read.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@33639 wrote
You know, I don't have a 90% average...and I've been trying for years...well just the past few years. I'm a year younger than you are, going to grade 11 and I haven't yet managed to get a 90% average. I worked insanely hard most of the time, but didn't get a 90% average.

I guess the point of my rant was that you're not the only one who doesn't have a 90%. There is a handful of people on this forum who have high marks and well I just wish I could also get those marks. So I'm going to study and do my work as hard as I can! I'll try and then I'll get a passable mark. HA!

I don't know what the cut-off percentage is for signing up for each university but I guess you'll know what it was next summer, after sending in applications and stuff like that...

I spent some time looking at eINFO, google it. It has requirements and percentages that they want. But I think you might have already seen this website, I don't know. =/

School's a lot of work, wish it wasn't though.

Thanks, its good to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I guess we'll work hard together! Although sometimes I dont know if hard work can really get me wherever I want to be but Still!
Good luck with grade11. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jingjinglan wrote
first of all, calm down girl

secondly, in the end comparing yourself to the rest of the people with 90+% won't help you at all. So just focus on doing the best you can now. You can't control external factors like the grades of other people so improve the factors you can control, namely yourself.

Okay don't mistake this for bragging but I often get asked the same question of "how do you juggle so many extracurriculars while having one of the highest averages in our grade?" I've consistently earned 92%+ all throughout high school so here are my few cents:

I'd like the answer to the above question to be my amazing time management skills but considering how much time I waste on the internet and reading books, it's not really that. What I will say though is to be efficient.

I could be fooling around on tumblr or facebook from 3pm to 8pm. But when push comes to shove and I have homework to do, I do it. I do it quickly and I do it well.

So how do you become efficient? It's all about the small stuff. You know that 20min after your math teacher finishes the lesson and everybody starts talking and not doing the work? That's the time to do it. I use this as an example because I barely had any math homework to take home last year because I finished it all in class. It's all about how you use the time given to you in class. If you want to succeed, sometimes you have to sacrifice things and endure hardships that other people can't be bothered to do.

Another thing I have to say is to become engaged in your learning. Don't just passively listen to the teacher and pray to god everything your teacher is saying is somehow going to make sense later that night when you do homework (I see it with my friends all the time-- they think that they can figure it out later. More often than not, they don't). Make sure you are understanding the why's and the how's. If you don't, ask questions!!! A teacher is there to help you! Nobody is going to judge you because you don't get something and if they do, screw them because you care about your education.

That's another reason to start on your homework in class. If you run into difficulties, your teacher is there to help you. I find that once you grasp a concept, it'd be hard to forget it and it makes for studying for tests/exams much easier. All you need to do is to review concepts you already know to refresh them and you're set. Developing a positive attitude towards learning will make school more fun and enriching :D

The important thing to remember is to just enjoy high school. Marks are important but don't forsake everything for marks. Have fun too :) a healthy appreciation for life will help you in all aspects of life.

I hope this has been helpful :)

Yea, thanks. I'll try your time management thing and try to be more focused when i'm working. :) I mean i'm not saying i'm not focused or anything but yea. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Xizeta wrote
Seriously, do not worry about other people. Talking about grades just creates unnecessary competition and hurt feelings. You only need to worry about yourself and work towards your personal best.

I had extremely high marks, and, there would be people asking me about my latest evaluation. Towards the end of the semester people just stopped asking me. From that point on I just stopped sharing my grades with people.

A good grade does not necessarily mean you are intelligent – and definitely not genius. I personally know a lot of people who can memorize and regurgitate information easily. While they got good grades and got accepted into prestigious schools they were hardly worthy of my respect. I know a lot of Asian people, I am half Asian for the record, that got into a good university but are really stupid.

Really though, there is just a relationship between success and time. People who are successful at anything, and everything, have put countless hours towards their success.
Subsequently, these people who have created regimented lifestyle with a focus on school become successful. Some people just more effort into school than others. It really is about evaluating yourself and putting forth the effort. I think anybody that is of average intelligence is more than capable of achieving the grades they desire.

Try to set aside an hour per course or more. If you do not understand something - chances are you missed something along the way. Talking to teachers is a good way of figuring out where they stand and how to improve your marks.

Even if you do come up short – do not beat yourself up. Your high school grades are not going to define you or limit your capacity to go the distance in life.

I dont know what you mean by the Asians that are stupid who got into good schools, because stupid or not it IS important to get into a good school and thats what I'm hoping to do. I dont mind if i dont have the highest IQ or anything I'll just have to work harder.
And I can't help but to compare with others because I HAVNT been, but one day I look around and i suddenly realize that the competition is so intense! I mean I know I should focus on myself but these people out here, these are the people who will be competing for the same position as me in Uni, or work, in the future, so its hard for me to just say " oh its okay if other people are doing so much better than me i'll just try my best."
And lastly, thank you for your long reply. It helped me to sort out my head a bit. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Xiaohaha wrote
why do you use so many fonts, sizes and colors? it's obnoxious to read.

i really like them. :( sorry if it hurts ur eyes or anything. I guess some people might find it annoying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 33639 33639

@CalliePaascheton wrote

@33639 wrote
You know, I don't have a 90% average...and I've been trying for years...well just the past few years. I'm a year younger than you are, going to grade 11 and I haven't yet managed to get a 90% aver....

Thanks, its good to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I guess we'll work hard together! Although sometimes I dont know if hard work can really get me wherever I want to be but Still!
Good luck with grade11. :)

^.^ Same here sometimes even if I work hard it won't be anywhere near to the mark I want it to be but I know it wouldn't be anywhere near the mark I have if I hadn't worked as hard as I had done.

And you too, good luck with grade 12!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CalliePaascheton wrote

@Xizeta wrote

I dont know what you mean by the Asians that are stupid who got into good schools, because stupid or not it IS important to get into a good school and thats what I'm hoping to do. I dont mind if i dont have the highest IQ or anything I'll just have to work harder.
And I can't help but to compare with others because I HAVNT been, but one day I look around and i suddenly realize that the competition is so intense! I mean I know I should focus on myself but these people out here, these are the people who will be competing for the same position as me in Uni, or work, in the future, so its hard for me to just say " oh its okay if other people are doing so much better than me i'll just try my best."
And lastly, thank you for your long reply. It helped me to sort out my head a bit. :)

We understand you. We've been in your shoes. Because of all the cut-offs, scholarships and such, people all around you are striking for the same objective. But it's okay. You'll get comfortable in a matter of days. I remember being devastated by October last year for how many less-than-ideal grades I was getting (I'm talking entries in the low 70's), yet by the end of the year, I managed to maintain a still very good overall average. By what you wrote about your grades you still seem to be one of the highest achievers out there, and there are people who are far more worried and frustrated about the pressure as you might be. But we get it. You want to be at the top. It makes you feel safe. But by the end of the year you'll realize that you will have done just as well as you needed to and that grades and scholarships aren't everything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CalliePaascheton wrote

@Xizeta wrote

We understand you. We've been in your shoes. Because of all the cut-offs, scholarships and such, people all around you are striking for the same objective. But it's okay. You'll get comfortable in a matter of days. I remember being devastated by October last year for how many less-than-ideal grades I was getting (I'm talking entries in the low 70's), yet by the end of the year, I managed to maintain a still very good overall average. By what you wrote about your grades you still seem to be one of the highest achievers out there, and there are people who are far more worried and frustrated about the pressure as you might be. But we get it. You want to be at the top. It makes you feel safe. But by the end of the year you'll realize that you will have done just as well as you needed to and that grades and scholarships aren't everything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0