yconic - Is anyone taking up a language in university?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is anyone taking up a language in university?

A photo of heylooklisten heylooklisten
I'm going to be taking Arabic classes right through university and beyond, and hopefully polish it up with an exchange in an Arabic oriented country.

Anyone else plan on taking a language in university?
Are you looking to become proficient in the language and use it to your advantage later, or just taking it just 'for fun'?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
39 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I'm probably going to continue French in university if my schedule allows.
I'm definitely not going to minor/major in it or anything big like that.. it's more just for fun, I guess.
But I've been on a French exchange already and absolutely love the language, so I would take it a little more serious than most taking it for "fun" would, probably.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Waterloo AFM requires at least one language course, so if I go to Waterloo, yes. Most likely French or German.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Emaad13 Emaad13
I was also hoping to take Arabic, but since I'm planning to stay in Canada for the forseeable future, I will probably take French instead.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tjozef tjozef
i'm probably going to start learning a third language during uni, but not necessarily at uni
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessicadonnan jessicadonnan
Espanol :) I love Spanish and if I have time i want to take Italian as well most of my courses are Science so hopefully I will have room
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessicadonnan jessicadonnan
Has anyone ever tried the Rosetta Stone program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cgrc1188 cgrc1188

@jessicadonnan wrote
Has anyone ever tried the Rosetta Stone program?

My friend bought the Korean and Japanese Rosetta Stone program. He mainly focused on the Japanese one, and he's fluent in Japanese now! It's amazing, now he's able to speak to his Japanese friends as we look at him with envy... :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Slightly off-topic, but does anybody in the world speak Latin on a regular basis (as in everyday, at work, at home, etc.)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
I might take on French.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nadia93 nadia93
i'm hoping to continue french but if i don't have room in my schedule then i guess it won't happen but it would be nice & also maybe a spanish course, to make my spanish-speaking parents happy lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nadia93 nadia93

@TheMetroidPhysicist wrote
Slightly off-topic, but does anybody in the world speak Latin on a regular basis (as in everyday, at work, at home, etc.)?

lol! no i don't think so! but i'd love to take a latin course in university, i think it's really cool but no one uses it for everyday talking, only for praying, poems maybe, singing etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HeroOfCanton HeroOfCanton

@Anonymous wrote

Not sure if it counts, but ATMs in Vatican City have instructions in Latin.

http://i.imgur.com/X3x8A.jpg
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I'm planning on continuing with German and maybe doing another summer in Vienna.

@Anonymous wrote

Lots of academics speak it, but no one speaks it natively.

[quote=jessicadonnan]Has anyone ever tried the Rosetta Stone program?[/quote]
Rosetta Stone is terrible, especially considering it costs like $6000. If you want to teach yourself a language, which is probably the best way, I'd recommend using Assimil, Pimsleur, or Michel Thomas.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of jenyouwin jenyouwin
I'm already taking French and Spanish so I might continue with that in uni. German and italian really interest me as well.

people don't really speak italian outside of italy right...so would it be more beneficial to learn german or would it be the same?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@jenyouwin wrote
I'm already taking French and Spanish so I might continue with that in uni. German and italian really interest me as well.

people don't really speak italian outside of italy right...so would it be more beneficial to learn german or would it be the same?

Italy's only spoken officially in Italy, but there are pockets of Italian immigrants in the US, the UK, etc. German's spoken officially in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Naimbia. It's also the most spoken language in the EU.

Neither are real international languages, but between the two, German's the better choice in that regard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IceIceBaby IceIceBaby
Because of the course I am taking, I have to take a second language in University. French will probably be what I will take just because I already have quite a bit under my belt, however I would love to take Italian.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
I'm thinking about it, its so hard to decide though. French is the most applicable here, but German is becoming more widespread, as is Japanese. But if I knew Latin I could read original really old stuff... Decisions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jenyouwin jenyouwin

@Zion wrote

@jenyouwin wrote

Italy's only spoken officially in Italy, but there are pockets of Italian immigrants in the US, the UK, etc. German's spoken officially in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Naimbia. It's also the most spoken language in the EU.

Neither are real international languages, but between the two, German's the better choice in that regard.

I did not know that about German.

I think I will take it. :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
i did an exchange in grade 8 (loved it) unfortunately i've only been in the "core" french stream throughout high school :( . But i finished grade 12 core french and i'm not fluent. it's depressing! But hopefully in university i can take french and become fluent.

Any good programs to enhance or enrich my french? Rosetta stone? (some people say its terrible , others , great.) i could torrent it so no worries for money. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of username101 username101
i am going to be taking arabic @ uni.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of username101 username101
i am going to be taking arabic @ uni.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of koi636 koi636
York's iBBA program requires a language so I'll take Chinese.
If I go to Rotman I'll consider picking up a language as well although I don't think it is required
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of renlugo renlugo
I'm still trying to decide between German, Russian, Japanese or Chinese. But, I'll definitely be taking a language :D
__________________________________________________________________________________________

University of Toronto '15
Social Science: International Relations + Trinity One
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
Zulu FTW
Was this helpful? Yes 0