yconic - Is Biomedical Sceinces at UW an ideal program for medical school?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is Biomedical Sceinces at UW an ideal program for medical school?

A photo of avp avp
By this..I mean can i get a good GPA in this university if I try really hard...
Please let me know...thx:compress: :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
By UW do you mean Waterloo or do you mean Western?

Either way, no.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Any University program can be ideal for medical school if you make it out to be. Taking the prerequisites will prepare you for the basic medical science courses which you'll be taking in your first years of medical school. I'd look into programs which can provide you with great flexibility where you can take courses which interest you or are relevant to medicine. Waterloo's Biomedical Sciences program seems like a good choice to me personally because you'll obtain a solid foundation in the sciences and in your higher years you can tailor the program to your interests and don't have to be in a super specific specialization. You'll receive pretty decent exposure to what you can expect from medical school by taking courses such as Embryology, Histology, & Human Anatomy (All offered within Waterloo's Biomedical Sciences program)

The decision comes down to you, it's good to have insight from others but even when people provide me with opinions I don't agree with them all the time and prefer my own educational plans.

Bottom line is, do you want a structured program with prescribed upper year courses or a program which gives you a great amount of flexibility?

Edit:
I just realized you are talking about University of Western Ontario's Biological & Medical Sciences program. Their program isn't called Biomedical Sciences so I thought you were referring to Waterloo this whole time. Oh well, LOL :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of avp avp

I just realized you are talking about University of Western Ontario's Biological & Medical Sciences program. Their program isn't called Biomedical Sciences so I thought you were referring to Waterloo this whole time. Oh well, LOL :P

Hey, Thanks for your post! And yes, I was actually talking bout waterloo and not western ontario :D

UW= University of Waterloo
UWO = University of Western Ontario :compress: :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of rvangel rvangel
i've got the same problem!! I applied to waterloo, toronto and macmaster biochemistry programs, I'm planning to do medicine no matter how tough it is! and if i do pre med at waterloo, do you think it will be a good idea? i mean will it affect my future plans? i never got a clear answer for this. and if it's not good, can someone tell me why is it not good????????????????:!:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran
Yea... if you're looking for a good GPA your best bet would be to go to one of the lower tier universities such as RYU and York...

If you're concerned about getting a better education however, I'd say UT, UWO, UW, Mac
Was this helpful? Yes 0