yconic - Is engineering difficult?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is engineering difficult?

A photo of LandLBoy62 LandLBoy62
I'm in grade 12 and I always thought I wanted to go into biomedical sciences(biology and chem) so I focused on those 2 subjects but I still took physics.

Thing is I'm getting a really bad mark in physics (60s) this is due to the fact that I give essentially no effort to physics because it is not a prerequisite for the program I applied to and I spend my time focusing on other subjects. If I focused on physics I could do remarkably better...

I am now interested in physics/engineering but I don't think it's a good idea to go into an engineering program with 60s in grade 12 physics...What do you guys think? Is it okay to think I can just study harder in UNI and suddenly do better?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I don't think you can get into any decent engineering programs with under a 70 in physics.. it's a prerequisite for ANY accredited engineering program. sorry!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Well physics is a prereq for engineering, and I'm pretty sure you have to have minimum 70 (or 75 for other schools) in your prereqs, so they wouldn't accept you. Even if they overlook it, I'd have to guess that's bringing down your whole average :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
If you're getting a 60s you're going to do terrible in university physics =/ Anyone can be interested in physics but to do decent in engineering or in physics, you need to get the concepts down. What is it that youre struggling with right now in your gr 12 phys?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AsianFail93 AsianFail93

@aimango wrote
If you're getting a 60s you're going to do terrible in university physics =/ Anyone can be interested in physics but to do decent in engineering or in physics, you need to get the concepts down. What is it that youre struggling with right now in your gr 12 phys?

+1. for any engineering, you have to be pretty flawless on your knowledge of all concepts for your prerequisites (maybe not chem for the non-chemical engineers - hehe)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ncb ncb
YES
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zaidpass zaidpass
Engineering has the highest drop out rate for undergrads, no matter what university you go to. Enineering is HARD and you must be determined
Was this helpful? Yes 0