yconic - Is grade 11 NECESSARY for grade 12 comp sci?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is grade 11 NECESSARY for grade 12 comp sci?

A photo of waazup waazup
1. Okay, I know it's a prerequisite. Let's just say I get through though. Will not taking gr. 11 comp sci, but have taking two comp eng. courses that do a bit of programming put me at a disadvantage? Is there really all THAT much stuff you learn in grade 11 which is necessary for grade 12? I'm a 90 student and I'm obviously aiming for a real high mark (as in I would like it to be possible).

2. How do online courses work? Say If I can do gr. 11 online? I don't know anything about registering, although I will find out from my counsellor if it's even available in Ontario!

3. The most important one: Is taking Comp sci in high school necessary for studying comp sci at uni? Of course it's recommended. I might do a Dual degree (or possibly just CS) in CS..but obviously if I don't take comp sci in high school I wouldn't know much. Sure, it's not in their requirements. But will I be at a significant disadvantage, or do they teach first year as a "catch-up" and "introduction" year to everyone, where in second year I can be at the same level as ones who actually have had experience in comp sci in high school?

Thank you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of jelly jelly
I'm in grade 11 as well and taking comp sci. I have a bunch of friends who are taking both comp sci and comp eng, and according to them, fundamentally they are the same, its just he way you write the code is a bit different. My comp sci class teaches java and the comp eng class teaches turing, but the programs and stuff are written in mostly the same way. I guess it'd have to depend on your school and if your comp eng course(s) are more focused on hardware or software.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AsianFail93 AsianFail93
IMHO, from what I learned, its quite useful to have comp sci grade 11 first for grade 12.

Curriculum:
Computer engineering: we used VB6 for interfacing w/parallel port
Computer Science: Java for grades 11 and 12

Depending on your teacher, I guess you could forgo comp sci 11 if they do a thorough review of the concepts before going into gr12 topics like OOP/recursion
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pepper pepper
It's nice to take the grade 11 but not needed. In grade 11 I learned python which you use in first year of university and this year I'm learning java which you learn in year 2. So it will put you at a huge advantage in university because they reteach the stuff you already know. The grade 11 does help out in the grade 12 class but I think I could survive without it. You don't need to take computer science in high school to take it in university which is kind of ironic. What you should do is take the grade 11 now or in summer school and take the grade 12 class after that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
I want summer for another course.

And I don't want to take it in night school for next year as it may affect my other grades..well if I got in (let's say they let me pick comp sci 12), do you think, with the help of eng. 11 (my teacher said we will do programming), and if i train myself in the summer, I can do well in 12?

Or is it necessary for the teacher to teach me
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Imo grd 11 comp sci is way more useful than grd 12. You learn the fundamentals in grd 11 and just spam them in your algorithms in grd 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
no one here can tell you the answer because there is no set curriculum for computer science throughout ontario high schools. some high schools actually teach website publishing instead of real CS in the ICS course.

some schools teach different languages in grade 11 vs grade 12, some will continue on deeper concepts. you should find out from your cs teacher (whoever teaches it) instead of asking us.

my school: we used the same language in both gr 11 + 12, gr 12 had a major project, gr 11 was just concepts. our teacher never really "taught" us TBH, it was pretty much self teaching with him just sitting there if you need help. but even then, he was kinda useless. i learned SO much more in uni.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@aimango wrote
no one here can tell you the answer because there is no set curriculum for computer science throughout ontario high schools. some high schools actually teach website publishing instead of real CS in the ICS course.

some schools teach different languages in grade 11 vs grade 12, some will continue on deeper concepts. you should find out from your cs teacher (whoever teaches it) instead of asking us.

my school: we used the same language in both gr 11 + 12, gr 12 had a major project, gr 11 was just concepts. our teacher never really "taught" us TBH, it was pretty much self teaching with him just sitting there if you need help. but even then, he was kinda useless. i learned SO much more in uni.

^good stuff
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted