yconic - Is it a big deal if I fail Calculus 12?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is it a big deal if I fail Calculus 12?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm in grade 12 and have applied to several universeries, UBC, SFU, Langara, and University of Alberta. I don't need Calculus for UBC, SFU or Langara but do for UoA.

I'm really struggling with Calculus 12 at the moment and I'm just wondering, is it a very big deal if I fail the course? Like, will I affect my chances of getting into universites, other than UoA since that one requires calculus. Like for UBC and SFU, they don't require it, but will they cancel my application or disqualify me or anything if I have a course failed, even if it's not a course that is used to calculate the admission average?

The only affects I know at the moment if I fail calculus is that I can't get into UoA and that I can't get on the school Honour Roll. But I don't really care about those, I only care if it affects my chances of getting into UBC and SFU.

Thank you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Oh hey, we applied for almost all the same schools..
only one I didnt apply to is SFU. :D
Must be from the west coast, like me.
+1 for that!

As for failing, I'm pretty sure they'll look at it and see that you've failed, but I don't know if they'll take it into consideration.
If you're finding it difficult, why don't you just drop the course instead? So that way, it won't have any affect on your transcript, you just won't be eligible for acceptance into U of A, but like you said, it's not a big deal to you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
If you fail a course they require don't bother applying, as for the other universities since you stated they do not require it then it is meaningless; you can fail 20 courses for all they care but if your TOP 6 average adds up to say a 90 for example you would be accepted
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@cyynthiia wrote
+1 for that!

As for failing, I'm pretty sure they'll look at it and see that you've failed, but I don't know if they'll take it into consideration.
If you're finding it difficult, why don't you just drop the course instead? So that way, it won't have any affect on your transcript, you just won't be eligible for acceptance into U of A, but like you said, it's not a big deal to you.

You
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xheidi xheidi
It will affect your overall average, which some universitys require a min. average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@Qq wrote

@cyynthiia wrote
+1 for that!

You

Oh hey, best friend. ;)
Nice to see you again.
I see I've beat you to posting, once again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0