yconic - Is it a good idea for me to drop this course?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is it a good idea for me to drop this course?

A photo of MrRoboto MrRoboto
So I'm currently in my second semester of grade 11 and I'm taking 4 courses at the moment and 3 of them I enjoy pretty well and am likely to get mid-high 80s in, but my other class (physical geography) I totally hate. This is mainly because everything we do in class is nothing at all what the course is supposed to be and our teacher uses it as a chance to teach us about maps and his hobbies and stuff and nothing at all what we're supposed to be doing. I hate the class in general and I have no interest to learn anything and the only reason I picked it was because I had a schedule conflict and it was the best thing available.

My average first semester was pretty crappy at a 68%, and since my goal is to go to Carleton for journalism and the cut-off is around mid-eighties, I already wouldn't get accepted for early admission.

Seeing as I already plan on taking 8 grade 12 courses next year and I'm not interested in the course at all, do you think it is a good idea to drop the course? I don't see how it could do me any harm as my university acceptance will be likely based solely off of grade 12 marks and staying in the course would likely only decrease my average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of SaugasFinest SaugasFinest

@MrRoboto wrote
So I'm currently in my second semester of grade 11 and I'm taking 4 courses at the moment and 3 of them I enjoy pretty well and am likely to get mid-high 80s in, but my other class (physical geography) I totally hate. This is mainly because everything we do in class is nothing at all what the course is supposed to be and our teacher uses it as a chance to teach us about maps and his hobbies and stuff and nothing at all what we're supposed to be doing. I hate the class in general and I have no interest to learn anything and the only reason I picked it was because I had a schedule conflict and it was the best thing available.

My average first semester was pretty crappy at a 68%, and since my goal is to go to Carleton for journalism and the cut-off is around mid-eighties, I already wouldn't get accepted for early admission.

Seeing as I already plan on taking 8 grade 12 courses next year and I'm not interested in the course at all, do you think it is a good idea to drop the course? I don't see how it could do me any harm as my university acceptance will be likely based solely off of grade 12 marks and staying in the course would likely only decrease my average.

I have the same issue with grade 11 chemistry. Maybe talk to your councilor... See what he/she says.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Students tend to do better in courses that they actually enjoy.
If you hate your class that much, just drop it.
It doesn't seem like an important course that you'll need in the future anyhow.
But if you have any doubt, just talk with your counsellor and see what he/she says.
Honestly though, I would just drop it.
Save yourself the work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CyanicSparrow CyanicSparrow
The new term has barely begun folks. Don't be discourged by a course if you haven't had the most amazing start. Usually, marks increase as students adapt to their teachers particular teaching style or test format. In fact, my marks almost always go up after preliminaries. There is a lot of time to improve. Keep working at it and don't give up!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
That is true but if it's a class that you KNOW you don't like.. not just the teacher, but the subject itself, don't take it.
Better off dropping it and saving yourself work and time fussing over it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0