yconic - Is it necessary to buy a good laptop for UBC first year Applied Sciences?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is it necessary to buy a good laptop for UBC first year Applied Sciences?

A photo of Justin Justin
I am currently debating on whether to buy a cheap laptop for simple tasks such as running one program at a time and taking notes or to buy a good laptop with decent RAM and CPU to multitask. I heard that there are engineering computer labs with all the programs, thus defeating the purpose of buying a good laptop. What do you guys recommend?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
It's personal preference. I always used the computer labs because my laptop couldn't handle programs like Solidworks. As I got into later years and was running CFD simulations using ANSYS, your only option is to use the computer labs because there's no way you could even get the software on your computer, never mind have the computational power to run them. You want enough power to maybe run more than one program at a time (i.e. Matlab and Microsoft Word)
Was this helpful? Yes 0