yconic - Is it ok to take longer than 4 years to graduate university?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is it ok to take longer than 4 years to graduate university?

A photo of baddoctor baddoctor
due to various financial, personal reasons and changing majors, i will not be able to able to graduate university by 2012 as i had planned, and might actually have to stay until 2014 at the latest. my question, how much does this affect my chances of getting into a grad school or getting a good job? do they frown upon any graduation date longer than 4 years?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Your lack of planning is a poor reason for taking longer to complete your degree. I know some people who took a year off during their degree to do a military tour in Afghanistan, and that was a legitimate excuse.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@ARMY101 wrote
Your lack of planning is a poor reason for taking longer to complete your degree. I know some people who took a year off during their degree to do a military tour in Afghanistan, and that was a legitimate excuse.

This was unnecessary.

baddoctor just make sure your GPA is high enough and it's not like you're going to mention what year you started university on your job application anyway. This will only affect grad schools if your GPA is low and you took extra courses to upgrade it, they will be able to see this but it's not overly significant. Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I know a lot of people who stretched their degree out to 5 years. Employers could probably care less how long it took you to get your degree. Grad schools typically allow you to explain special circumstances, and you could explain that there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0