yconic - IS IT QUEENS OR QUEEN'S?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

IS IT QUEENS OR QUEEN'S?

A photo of amhsirak amhsirak
So throughout my entire PSE and Commerce essay, I referred to Queen's University as Queens University? Can anyone relate? Will this jeopardize my change of getting in? :scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
22 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Queen's

I don't think ti really matters in the grand scheme of things
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele

@amhsirak wrote
So throughout my entire PSE and Commerce essay, I referred to Queen's University as Queens University? Can anyone relate? Will this jeopardize my change of getting in? :scratch:

Those would be some powerful apostrophes if you didn't get acceptance for forgetting them!!

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much, firstly because you can't change it now, and secondly because it probably won't matter that much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the reassurance guys, but it's really daunting though. And the fact that I referred to Queen's no less than 30 times does not really help the matter. As opposed to a spelling error, I guess it's nbd. Plus, I've heard of other issues surrounding the apostrophes (something about them turning into question marks once pasted from a word document), and queens has said to overlook such issues. Hopefully they'll overlook apostrophes as a whole :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
lol @ thread

I don't think they'll care.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
That's nothing man.

Since I copy-pasted my essay from MS word, the "Queen's" turned into "Queen?s"

I am sure it happened to many - apostrophe turned into a question mark. A lotta other punctuations like dashes and quotations showed question marks too, but I edited it in such a way that it would work.

Later I figured, we were supposed to basically take that question mark off and retype it, and the problem would've been solved.

...so yeah, although edited and made necessary changes, one thing I forgot to change are the question marks within "Queen?s".

In the process, someone at my school scared the out of me when he said it's not "Queen's", rather "Queens". I rushed to Student Services and picked up a scholarship poster to confirm it is "Queen's" and not "Queens".

Btw, did anyone else get have an issue with the question marks? :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
Yes, you're screwed. Start planning back-ups now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

smarty1, don't worry about it... that is considered a system error. On the queens site, it says that the admissions staff is aware of this issue and it will provide to disadvantage to the applicant. My mistake - on the other hand - is a huge grammatical error... im just hoping they over look all issues governing apostrophes!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@amhsirak wrote
smarty1, don't worry about it... that is considered a system error. On the queens site, it says that the admissions staff is aware of this issue and it will provide to disadvantage to the applicant. My mistake - on the other hand - is a huge grammatical error... im just hoping they over look all issues governing apostrophes!

no*
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@amhsirak:

"no*" <- ? :s

I actually think you'll be fine. Here is why I think that. When I saw those question marks, the first thing I thought of doing is just take them off, and leave out the apostrophe, assuming that they'll understand why I did that.

I decided not to do anything, since I thought the majority would just ignore the question marks or simply not notice them.

That said, I am sure that there are enough people who took out those annoying question marks and left it "Queens" hoping that the admission staff would understand the rationale. :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

"and it will provide no disadvantage" LOL lets hope so... queens is one of my top choices, after schulich of course :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@smarty1 wrote
I actually think you'll be fine. Here is why I think that. When I saw those question marks, the first thing I thought of doing is just take them off, and leave out the apostrophe, assuming that they'll understand why I did that.

I decided not to do anything, since I thought the majority would just ignore the question marks or simply not notice them.

That said, I am sure that there are enough people who took out those annoying question marks and left it "Queens" hoping that the admission staff would understand the rationale. :bball:

You saw the question marks, decided to leave it, and submitted it? What kind of rationale is that? You're lazy?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
unless you applied for english I really doubt they'll care about that
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

@Zion wrote

@smarty1 wrote

You saw the question marks, decided to leave it, and submitted it? What kind of rationale is that? You're lazy?

I guess so. I would change it if it were me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote

@smarty1 wrote

No.

When apostrophes were turning into question marks, I did not know that turning them into apostrophes again, would actually turn the question marks into apostrophes in the final draft. I also checked with a few people while working on the PSE, and they did the same thing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cosstickxx wrote

@Zion wrote

@smarty1 wrote

I guess so. I would change it if it were me.

When apostrophes were turning into question marks, I did not know that turning them into apostrophes again, would actually turn the question marks into apostrophes in the final draft. I also checked with a few people while working on the PSE, and they did the same thing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm sure if your marks are good enough, it doesn't matter. But you dun goofed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of snowman snowman
I applied to both Science and Engineering. Do I have to write two supps?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of steele steele

@snowman wrote
I applied to both Science and Engineering. Do I have to write two supps?

Nope, just one!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of snowman snowman
thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

So I was reading a couple of posts from last year, and I was so surprised to read about ppl who had great marks (92+), who made it into other competitive business programs, yet failed to make it into Queen's bc of their PSE. And with my crappy mistake, my chances of getting in are pretty depressing... My essays and extra currics were fairly good though, so IDFK I HATE WAITING
Was this helpful? Yes 0