yconic - Is it really THAT hard?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is it really THAT hard?

A photo of TooSmooth TooSmooth
I have a 93 percent average
-AP history 90%
-AP English 90%
-AP calculas 95%
-math 12 93%
-English 12 95%

I have gotten into commerce/business at Uvic, SFU, and Toronto (rotman). I am waiting on UBC, and McGill.

I was very excited about getting accepted into toronto but upon researching further it seems as if MANY students do not recommend Toronto. I am going into business because that is where my interests and roots lie, but I ultimately want to get into law school to pursue a career in law.

I am a generally hard working student. I read that the work load in Toronto is very hard and that this is not the school to go to if you are looking to go to grad school. Should I not go to Toronto because this is true (knowing I ultimately am looking to get into law)?

As a side note, how would the rigor of the work and GPA of students at Sauder compare?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of XCEINOX XCEINOX

@TooSmooth wrote
-AP history 90%
-AP English 90%
-AP calculas 95%
-math 12 93%
-English 12 95%

I have gotten into commerce/business at Uvic, SFU, and Toronto (rotman). I am waiting on UBC, and McGill.

I was very excited about getting accepted into toronto but upon researching further it seems as if MANY students do not recommend Toronto. I am going into business because that is where my interests and roots lie, but I ultimately want to get into law school to pursue a career in law.

I am a generally hard working student. I read that the work load in Toronto is very hard and that this is not the school to go to if you are looking to go to grad school. Should I not go to Toronto because this is true (knowing I ultimately am looking to get into law)?

As a side note, how would the rigor of the work and GPA of students at Sauder compare?

I would recommend mcgill and sauder over rotman if you wish to do graduate for law. Rotman is not a bad program, but you will not get the best GPA you can despite really hard work (due to the bell curve system) I have a friend who's in the same position as you and is eager for mcgill. But after all, you can't go wrong with any
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@TooSmooth wrote
-AP history 90%
-AP English 90%
-AP calculas 95%
-math 12 93%
-English 12 95%

I'm on the same boat as you. I too want to go to law school afterwards, and I definitely don't think UT is a good choice for undergard. First, most law schools' acceptance rate is 10 percent. However, if you wish to go to a good law school, say Toronto, it would be less than 10 percent. In order to get in, you must at least be in the top 10 percent of your class. Also, marks only account for 50 percent of your acceptance. They want people with a passion, people who stand out, not just academically. I know some people with perfect GPAs who haven't been accepted to any law schools, yet I also know people with perfect GPAs and only a few extracurriculars who also haven't gotten accepted. What law schools looks for is what you've done outside the classroom, and not just acting as members or excs of clubs, but what you've done for the community, school, society, etc. I was talking to the dean of Windsor Law, and he said that most of the law students there are outstanding not just in the classrooms. One students he said, went out of his way and helped raise $800,000 for a family in need for medical help. In other words, I feel as though getting into law schools is just liek getting into Ivy league schools for undergrad. Thus, if you go to UT, you'll be stuck on academics since you'll have to work a lot harder to get a A average, and you won't have time to do many ECs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I am hoping for a UBC acceptance now with UofT as my backup.

Does anyone know how McGill is in terms of average GPA/Hardness?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@TooSmooth wrote
I am hoping for a UBC acceptance now with UofT as my backup.

Does anyone know how McGill is in terms of average GPA/Hardness?

McGill is the hardest school to get a good GPA. Everyone who goes to McGill, well, a vast majoirty of them include the top students from their schools. Thus, everyone there is pretty smart, so chances are, if you're considered smart at your schools, you'll be average at McGill. Smarter people=more competition, and more competition=harder to get a good GPA.Plus, because McGill is one of the best schools in Canada, they'll have higher standards since everyone there is pretty smart.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of athrunxo athrunxo
In my opinion, if you want to do business, definitely come to Ontario. Bay Street is in Toronto after all... lol
But you need a HIGH average for law school, so maybe go to an easier undergrad? Law schools don't really care where you did your undergrad, so getting a 4.0 at Nippising is much better than getting 3.2 at U of T
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zarathustra Zarathustra
This is a common misconception.

If you take the time to do your homework/UNDERSTAND the concepts rather than to memorize the concepts instead of procrastinating then you would generally do very well in ANY* program (IQ barring).

The people that generally complain, are the ones that procrastinate on most of their work or lack understanding of it.

Another misconception are the law school concerns.

Like at any professional schools, standardized test scores (LSAT,MCAT, PCAT, GMAT, GRE ETC) matter a lot more than the marks you receive in school. Many of these schools are aware of bell curves and mark inflation, so these tests are usually a litmus test for your IQ, intellectual/personal potential/growth among other things. As well, many law schools differ in their treat of your application/transcripts differently. As well they may only choose to consider your BEST two year's CGPA, your 3rd/4th year CGPA etc

For example, many international schools generally scale Canadian test scores higher as mark inflation rarely occurs at our schools (My aunt works at admissions for London Business School).

However if you still have doubts concerning law school, please be advised that a competitive CGPA is 3.7 (4.0 scale). Which at most schools is 80%+. If you are motivated and work hard, there's absolutely no way you can achieve lower than this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@athrunxo wrote
In my opinion, if you want to do business, definitely come to Ontario. Bay Street is in Toronto after all... lol
But you need a HIGH average for law school, so maybe go to an easier undergrad? Law schools don't really care where you did your undergrad, so getting a 4.0 at Nippising is much better than getting 3.2 at U of T

I have already done all my applications with commerce, and am getting accepted into my first choice. If the school doesn't really matter wouldn't it just be best for me to go to uvic/sfu and nail a higher GPA in commerce than going to UBC/Toronto/McGill?

Or would the prestige of my undergrad school matter more? (to the law admissions)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zarathustra Zarathustra

@TooSmooth wrote

@athrunxo wrote

I have already done all my applications with commerce, and am getting accepted into my first choice. If the school doesn't really matter wouldn't it just be best for me to go to uvic/sfu and nail a higher GPA in commerce than going to UBC/Toronto/McGill?

Or would the prestige of my undergrad school matter more? (to the law admissions)

Many schools would rather see you challenge yourself, rather than to take the easy way out so to speak.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo

@TooSmooth wrote

@athrunxo wrote

Yeah... Reps tell you that prestige doesn't matter since it makes their admission process seem more 'fair' but it definitely does... No one's retarded, they know of what the students are taught and about grade inflation/deflation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0