yconic - Is It Still Worth It To Apply?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is It Still Worth It To Apply?

A photo of MyNameIsChris MyNameIsChris
Hi guys, I'm a Canadian student (outside QC/ON) that is deciding whether or not to apply to McGill. I know I could of finished with better grades, but here's what I got:

French- 54% (although if my teacher accepts some late work, it could jump up to anywhere between 75%-80%)
Biology- 84%
Math- 86%
Chemistry- 88%

I'm seriously worried about this, and I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me answer. But first a little info on my situation. UBC will take my top 4 courses. McGill will take my top 5 courses. I only have 3 courses this new semester (English, Physics and Calculus), and the other class is a spare. If I apply into the Science department at either school I will be required to use my Math grade and my Chemistry grade to calculate my average, as they ask for your Math grade and 2 of Bio, Chem or Physics (and I already know that Chemistry will be one of the science courses that I am using). If I apply into Arts at McGill, I will still be required to send in my Math AND Chemistry marks as they will take my (hopeful) higher marks in my 3 second semester classes, as well as my 2 highest marks in first semester, which are Math and Chemistry. If I apply into Arts at UBC, then I will have to seond in my Chemistry mark and my 3 second semester marks as they will not require Math, and UBC only requires 4 courses from me. So here's what I need help with:

1) I'm contemplating between applying into Arts or applying into Sciences. I was initially hoping to apply into Sciences, but seeing as my first semester marks aren't as high as they could of been, I'm thinking about applying into Arts at both Universities and then switching into Sciences second year. Do you think that this is a good idea?

2) Assuming that my 3 second semester grades beat my first semester grades (in that they are all about 90%), do you think me applying into UBC Sciences with 2 of those 3 90%s and my 86% in Math and 88% in Chemistry would make me a competitive applicant?

3) Assuming that my 3 second semester grades beat my first semester grades (in that they are all about 90%), do you think me applying into UBC Arts with each of those 3 90%s and my 88% in Chemistry would make me a competitive applicant?

4) Assuming that my 3 second semester grades beat my first semester grades (in that they are all about 90%), do you think me applying into McGill Sciences with each of those 3 90%s and my 86% in Math and 88% in Chemistry would make me a competitive applicant?

5) Assuming that my 3 second semester grades beat my first semester grades (in that they are all about 90%), do you think me applying into UBC Sciences with each of those 3 90%s and my 86% in Math and 88% in Chemistry would make me a competitive applicant?

6) As far as applying to McGill is concerned, are they going to care much about that 54% in French and 84% in Biology? Because they are going to take my top 5 courses, I'm assuming that they'll at least give people who got a less than satisfactory grade in a semester one course to make up for it in semester two. So basically, what I want to know is, will McGill give me the opportunity to at least self-report my semester2 marks in March-April before making their final decision?

Please reply ASAP as the deadline for applying to UBC is tonight, and the deadline for applying to McGill is tomorrow! Thank you very much!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of MyNameIsChris MyNameIsChris
Over 35 views and no replies yet...come on guys I'm applying within 2 hours! Please help me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0