yconic - Is it worth applying to Ivey?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is it worth applying to Ivey?

A photo of Finance27 Finance27
I mean, it's $40 + $130 which is all due by January 18.

But the money is not a concern, I could care less about $170.
It's just that Ivey doesn't seem solid since you are learning something ELSE in your first two years, throwing away pretty much any internship opportunities. Then in your actual Ivey HBA years, you are learning by the case-study method - involving only and only cases for every class. Not sure if I want to learn this way. Sure it'll build my communicative and problem solving skills, but I would actually enjoy a more diversified and balanced learning style/classic style.

Is it really worth applying? A lot of people have told me don't bother. I mean I don't want to apply just for the heck of it, and throw away $170. I don't have much time to think anyway since the Supp. is due on January 18 and I already have my mind pretty much set against it. OUAC deadline is on Jan.11.

Any input/suggestions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of BudsFan94 BudsFan94

@Finance27 wrote

It's just that Ivey doesn't seem solid since you are learning something ELSE in your first two years, throwing away pretty much any internship opportunities. Then in your actual Ivey HBA years, you are learning by the case-study method - involving only and only cases for every class. Not sure if I want to learn this way. Sure it'll build my communicative and problem solving skills, but I would actually enjoy a more diversified and balanced learning style/classic style.

Is it really worth applying? A lot of people have told me don't bother. I mean I don't want to apply just for the heck of it, and throw away $170. I don't have much time to think anyway since the Supp. is due on January 18 and I already have my mind pretty much set against it. OUAC deadline is on Jan.11.

Any input/suggestions?

I think it's a personal choice. Some people want to explore other fields besides business or they like the case study method, so Ivey suits them. This is not to say that Ivey suits everyone however. For business schools though, there are options such as full 4 year business (Queen's, Rotman, McGill,etc), coop (UTSC,Laurier,Waterloo,etc) and there's Ivey's 2+2. Choose the school that fulfills your individual needs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
If money really isn't a factor, just apply. Imagine the sadness you will inflict on a fellow high school graduate knowing that you robbed them of a spot in their dream program while you don't even consider going there. Imagine putting "Western Ivey - AEO 2016: Accepted" in your SA signature and fitting in with everyone else. It will be glorious.

I had the same reservations that you had about the program. Let me tell you right now that co-op aside, you have about the same chance to land an internship as almost every first year business program. First years are notoriously useless to companies and landing them are pretty dependent on your ability to network and proverbially rub the genitalia of employers.

Also, it's not like the case method completely ignores all study of technical knowledge. You'll learn the fundamentals that you would in other programs. Have you extensively been exposed to the case method already? I can understand how you'd be put off by Ivey if you've already had a taste of it and realize it was not your thing.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Redprince Redprince
My opinion is that Ivey is only worth it if you want to do a dual degree. For instance, I love business as much as engineering and Ivey is the only program because it offers a dual degree. Other than that, its not worth paying $20,000 just for one degree (a total rip-off)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I like to consider Ivey as a social club rather than a University.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly

@onlymatthew wrote

I had the same reservations that you had about the program. Let me tell you right now that co-op aside, you have about the same chance to land an internship as almost every first year business program. First years are notoriously useless to companies and landing them are pretty dependent on your ability to network and proverbially rub the genitalia of employers.

Not exactly true. When my sister finished her first year (AEO1, social sciences) she went to look for a job in the summer. She was denied an interview from banks while her friends from other schools (Waterloo AFM, Schulich, etc.) all got interviews. She had stellar ECs as well, so I don't think that was really a problem. She had to suck it up and continue working where all the high school kids worked.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ilikeyork ilikeyork

@Finance27 wrote

Any input/suggestions?

I'm thinking about the exact thing right now and I'm hoping for a 94% average.
The problem is that I don't have a lot of ECs (lack of leadership).

Can anyone tell me my chances at AEO with 94%average, and weak ECs?(150h volunteer at library, part-time job, some clubs and misc. awards)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Based on replies, there is no solid reason that was given (apply to inflict sadness, ivey is a social club, only good for a dual degree, a student got denied while in her first 2 years of a job).

I'm still debating. Can someone come in here, and perhaps convince me or try their best :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Businessboy Businessboy
yes, if you are doing a dual degree and you are committed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
Personally, I think its a waste of time n money applying to ivey. Im not really interested in its 2+2 program and for your last 2 years at ivey, your learning based on cases, not a lot of theories.. Again, it depends on what you want to do with your life..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of w18 w18
Reasons for going:
- Ivey is one of the best in Canada
- One of the more recognized Canadian business program in the US
- Beautiful campus
- Party school (if that is your scene)

Reasons for not going:
- Expensive
- Party school (if that's not your scene)

To be honest, I'm not too interested in Ivey either but think about it this way, $170 is nothing compared to how much we'll end up paying for university. So, in my opinion, if you're even a little bit interested in Ivey, just try :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bcd92 bcd92
This was the same question i asked myself. Here are the pros and cons of Ivey:
Pros:
-beautiful campus
-Ivey is renown as one of the best business schools in the world
-once you graduate your paid well $$$

Cons:
-expensive
-distractions (party school!!!)
-Ivey doesnt start till 3rd year, you'll be doing BMOS for 2 years

Based on the above, what i really want to say is that Ivey is like gambling. Lets say, you get into Western for BMOS with AEO status...you'll have to work really hard to maintain the average provided for 2 straight years to get into Ivey. Its not easy and Western being a party school does not either. In the end, its your decision, but i personally did not apply for the very same reason.
Good luck ( :
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Honestly, unless you're interested in another degree or another subject area, the 2+2 isn't really worth it. If you want to do four straight years of business, go to Queen's or Schulich. Maintaining an 80% average isn't really that big of a deal really, the majority of AEOs are able to do it. Ivey grad are well-respected and paid but Ivey is really only stellar in finance, so if you're interested in pursuing something else like accounting it probably isn't the school for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Here are the salary statistics from the past year (2010-2011) for Queen's commerce and Ivey HBA. They're published by their respective schools, so keep that in mind. I tried plucking the Schulich compensation report, but it kept giving me a broken link. I'm confused as where the delusion is coming from that Ivey is "only good for finance". It might notably excel in finance, but that doesn't mean that its other fields aren't good. I'm going to reference the compensation reports because it's the only quantitative metric I can find.

Compensation:
Queen's Commerce

Western Ivey HBA

Schulich BBA/iBBA (broken link)

Western's average compensation seems to be $64104 and Queen's is $53190. That's a pretty substantial difference. If you investigate by sector though, you'll find that the program's strengths and weaknesses may have been exaggerated.

From my experience though, maintaining an 80 in your first two years shouldn't be of substantial difficulty. If your're struggling to keep an 80 in MOS, then you should be much more worried about your grades in the actual HBA, where your grades are a large factor in the job recruitment process.

@asimayyaz wrote

Stellar observation! You're right, Western is the university. You're so brilliant! :cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014

@onlymatthew wrote
Here are the salary statistics from the past year (2010-2011) for Queen's commerce and Ivey HBA. They're published by their respective schools, so keep that in mind. I tried plucking the Schulich compensation report, but it kept giving me a broken link. I'm confused as where the delusion is coming from that Ivey is "only good for finance". It might notably excel in finance, but that doesn't mean that its other fields aren't good. I'm going to reference the compensation reports because it's the only quantitative metric I can find.

Compensation:
Queen's Commerce

Western Ivey HBA

Western's average compensation seems to be $64104 and Queen's is $53190. That's a pretty substantial difference. If you investigate by sector though, you'll find that the program's strengths and weaknesses may have been exaggerated.

From my experience though, maintaining an 80 in your first two years shouldn't be of substantial difficulty. If your're struggling to keep an 80 in MOS, then you should be much more worried about your grades in the actual HBA, where your grades are a large factor in the job recruitment process.

@asimayyaz wrote

Stellar observation! You're right, Western is the university. You're so brilliant! :cat:

With certainty, Ivey:
76% seeking employment x 93% received offers = 71%. Hired

29% unemployment rate is pretty high lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly

@onlymatthew wrote

Compensation:
Queen's Commerce

Western Ivey HBA

Not to say Ivey isn't great in other fields, but from my understanding, Ivey HBAs take a lot of finance courses, and if you're going to major in accounting to pursue a CA designation or something, you'll need to take extra courses in the summer. I'm sure the most favoured major is probably finance though, and obviously for good reason.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@onlymatthew wrote

Compensation:
Queen's Commerce

Western Ivey HBA

@asimayyaz wrote

I've seen those reports. Ivey's report is one year ahead (current). Last year, to be fair, their Avg. salary was $60,000 including bonuses = $56,000 average, right in comparison with Schulich and Queen's. But I really like Ivey's internship report, along with their % placed in Finance. 70K starting is not bad at all for the majority.

And someone points out the 76% actively seeking employment, nice find! Didn't catch that. This might skew some numbers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay. I am still in between on Finance vs CA, and I know that going to Ivey and changing my mind to CA will be a huge dealbreaker.

Queen's would be similar, but somewhat more balanced.
Schulich would be the best I think, I think my finance and CA doors are open equally here. But the only thing is the NY placement, which you guys say is almost unheard of. I DO want to get into NY for finance right now, but I would need some solid experience with finance first. I don't want to go to Schulich only to find out that there is pretty much no chance of getting to NY, whereas Ivey does, and Queen's a little bit as well.

Should I apply to Ivey for the heck of it? Probably the BIGGEST dilemma right now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
You could always go to Schulich and transfer Ivey 3rd year if you decide to go with the finance route.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ That is hard to do, but will definitely try.

Anyway, I decided I'm going to change out Math/CA and put in Ivey there, so I don't have to pay the extra $40.

I don't mind paying $120 then.

Math/CA I think is way too specific for my liking, and it's like a 95+ to get in, but mainly just way too specific (only CA pretty much is the route).
Was this helpful? Yes 0