yconic - Is it worth pursuing Chemistry to become a chemist?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is it worth pursuing Chemistry to become a chemist?

A photo of milliex51 milliex51
I am in grade 11 and I've loved Chemistry ever since I was in grade 9. Yes the workload from grade 9 to 10 was just basic Chemistry, yet I still loved every portion of it. Though right now we are still pretty much in the solubility stuff but the math and physics concepts' are getting a bit confusing. I'm not the greatest when learning about math and physics concepts (I currently have an 81 for math and had a 60 on my motions test), however, when math and physics are combined with Chemistry, I honestly enjoy it.

Anyway, I want to be those chemists who formulate and experiment innovative products for people to enjoy and benefit from, such as make up, hygienic stuff (cleansers, soaps, shampoos) or work in a water plant. However, I've searched on einfo.ca and the only Chemistry program I've found so far is at Ryerson... o.O I want to attend a university close to Toronto (parents want me to stay close to them), and I'm wondering whether UofT or McMaster have Chemistry as a full program too or do I have to go through Life Science or Chemical engineering to pursue it?

Any aspiring Chemists who can tell me where you guys study, co-op experiences, and workload and your thoughts about your future career? I heard that Chemists are paid fairly low compared to the stress and long hours they have to endure, whenever it's near due dates, etc.

Thoughts, advice, suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!! c(:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Sounds like you want to go into the field of Applied Chemistry.

Now Chemistry itself more deals with the theoretical stuff where as you'd be more interested in the process of converting raw materials or chemicals into more useful or valuable forms, which is Chemical Engineering.

An M.Sc. in Chemistry will be dealing with more research based stuff.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of milliex51 milliex51
Ohhh... i see. Wow, thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of particle particle
McMaster has a chemistry program. You won't find it on e-info since it's a level II program, rather than a level 1 program. At mac you enter science into one of the level I programs and then you can decide your major after that, one of which is chemistry. They also have specializations and a co-op option. But if you want to design products and things, then I think a chemistry degree will help. Chemical engineering I'm hearing is more industrial processes and managing those oppose to coming up with them. Product design (research and development [R&D]), will probably have you needing a Masters or even a PhD.
Was this helpful? Yes 0