yconic - Is Ivey even all that good, safe & reliable?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is Ivey even all that good, safe & reliable?

A photo of waazup waazup
I've been researching more. Ivey is not really on the world undergrad or mba list. Whereas, Schulich, Queen's and Rotman I have seen at least one of each on some lists.

Then, on the old studentawards (from 2008-2009), when Schulich used to be extremely popular (still is), they were saying some cons about Ivey..how this one guy had to get a factory job, how the HBA really is an Arts degree, how it's only for 2 years, and they boast their salaries.

Could you guys, perhaps, clarify or say something that sounds good? :P, Okay, but seriously, tell me what you have heard from legit sources such as actual students in these schools, graduates, and/or anything you have researched.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
49 replies

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
Ivey is an excellent school, and does get a great deal of global respect. I'd place it below UofT and McGill in that respect though.

You will see horror stories from every school. People screw around, and don't care, and then come out with a terrible GPA. Ivey is a top choice for Canadian schools, and you can't really go wrong with selecting any of the schools you listed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
People have posted pictures of the type of recruiting Ivey gets for finance. No other Canadian school gets that. They have the best placements. That is why Ivey is widely considered the best undergrad business program in Canada. It's not right for everyone, it has its flaws, but it's still damn good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mxfire mxfire
It's a great school, arguable top 2 in Canada. Ivey probably has the best recruiting due to its extensive global alumni network.

I did my research with all the top schools in Canada and I felt it was the best fit for me. In the end, it all comes down to where you feel you fit in best.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of mxfire mxfire
Here are the recruiting images that were posted on SAF earlier on.

http://flickcabin.com/pfiles/107289/sa1.jpg
http://flickcabin.com/pfiles/107290/sa2.jpg
http://flickcabin.com/pfiles/107291/sa3.jpg
http://flickcabin.com/pfiles/107292/sa4.jpg
http://flickcabin.com/pfiles/107293/sa5.jpg
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17

@waazup wrote
...they were saying some cons about Ivey... how the HBA really is an Arts degree, how it's only for 2 years...

I continues to amaze me when people bring these two things up.

1. HBA = Honours Business Administration. Yes, that translates to Honours Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration. This does not magically devalue your degree. By your logic, someone with a Nowhere University BComm should be better off in the working world, which is just ridiculous and is consistently proven to be untrue.

2. Yes, it is a professional undergraduate program taking place over two years. That doesn't change the value of your education at all. Harvard's MBA program is a two-year program, so I guess it's not that good either. There are so many reasons that I'm happy that it's a third year entry program that I'm not even going to go into, if you're really really interested in my opinion, feel free to message me.

Also, if you have questions about Ivey, ask people who actually know what they're talking about rather than anonymous people on the internet. Check out what I found!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@g93 wrote
People have posted pictures of the type of recruiting Ivey gets for finance. No other Canadian school gets that. They have the best placements. That is why Ivey is widely considered the best undergrad business program in Canada. It's not right for everyone, it has its flaws, but it's still damn good.

For sure. If you want to work on Wall Street or something, Ivey wins by a fair bit over the other schools. Plus their alumni network is much better as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
I don't disagree with any of the praise that Ivey is receiving. They are no doubt the best business school and have the most opportunities for careers in finance and consulting. They have a deep alumni network in those streams. However, I want you to read what the other side of the ball park is saying because every one on this forum will tell you Ivey is worth it. This is not me, I'm quoting this from what I read on the old forum and I saved it.

@quadrant wrote

"There’s some people who are going to Ivey here, and yes, congratulations, however, I just wanted to share with you some of my thoughts before you make that final decision.

Last year, I got accepted into Ivey and Schulich. I also applied to queens, but didn’t get in. I chose Schulich over Ivey, and boy, did I make the right choice. Going to Ivey is a huge rip-off; you may not feel like it at first, but Ivey at the end of the day is a school for MBAs, not a school for undergrads.

Here's a few of my points about going to Ivey:

A) The degree you get from graduating from Ivey is a Honours Bachelor of Arts (HBA). Seriously, you’re paying like double to get an Arts degree on Honours Business Administration. If your parents can afford it, great, but in reality, if you are going to go abroad to anywhere outside North America, recruiters are going to see this and it’d be a huge waste of money. Ivey has done well to hide that in their marketing, but if you ask them straight up, they will eventually tell you that its an Arts Degree you're getting (with the University of Western Ontario printed on it).

B) Ivey is a 2 year program, not a 4 year program. Most of the stuff you learn in third year at Ivey you learn in first and second year in 4 year program like Schulich. By the time you start third year, an Schulich 3rd year (or Queen’s or wherever you go) is in a much better position than a Ivey third year.

C) A lot of people on this forum talks about jobs, co-op, internships, etc. Well, students who are in AEO in first and second year do not receive career support from Ivey like they do from Schulich. All those job postings, benefits, etc are all stuff you get in year 3 and 4, not in year 1 or 2.

D) If you decide to go on exchange, Ivey is definitely not a good choice for that. Again, it’s about what you pay for vs. what you get. If you go on exchange to Mexico or Europe or wherever, you are losing half a year of Ivey which is 25% of the program. Why would you do that? At Schulich if you go on exchange you only lose 12.5% of the program.

E) Ivey says that they have electives and they have diverse classes, etc because you are in another program in year 1 and 2. In reality, you’d be taking arts or social science courses like every other “regular dude” in class sizes of 400 to 500, or even bigger, in year 1 or 2. Most people who go to Ivey start with BMOS, and the entering average of BMOS is not high at all – how would you find year 1 and 2 challenging when you’re in a class full of regular non-achieving students? Again, I’d rather be paying my money to go straight into a business program that has 300 or whatever (less if you’re in iBBA) students in the ENTIRE program. Just look at how many offers they are making to try get lots of people to get in - and they are even increasing their program size to 500 students?

F) Lastly, Ivey has no huge advantage these days anymore. Maybe 10 years ago they do, but lets get serious here. Everyone has case-based courses, everyone does cases, every school has a great career centre (especially at Schulich and Queen’s), and the top schools like Schulich and Queen’s are highly selective in admissions. We at Schulich also have smaller classes than Ivey’s class sizes of 75, and that’s just in third year. Classes get even smaller when you go up. Just look at the Ivey website… just look at it – it disgusts me that they use simple marketing campaigns to make their program look complex while it’s offered everywhere else. “Ivey Select (TM)”, “Ivey Immersion (TM)”, “Ivey Environment (TM)”, “Ivey Career View (TM)”. It’s a huge marketing scam and really they’re just trying to make you think you’re making a good investment while in the meantime they are getting your money to fund their MBA or executive programs.

You may disagree with some of my points, and that’s totally fine. But I just want to let you know that last year I was in the same position of many of you guys: Ivey vs. Schulich (or maybe for some other people its ivey vs queens or ivey vs. mcgill or ivey vs. laurier), and I almost chose Ivey – and I’m glad I didn’t. If I chose Ivey I would’ve been sitting without a proper job for the summer right now. I would not have been able to meet some really great people in my classes – hell I might still be drifting off in geography or psychology or some other useless subject. And I also think there’s a reason why people on the forums who chose to go to Ivey don’t post here… I think it’s because they feel ripped off and are little too embarrassed to come back. Schulich, Queen’s, McGill, Laurier are great schools and you need to really consider all your cards that is available to you.

Think before you make your decisions… think… think… think… it’s a huge decision and I know a few of my friends at UWO who was on the Ivey track are already kind of not happy about their decision. Don’t regret your choice."

Was this helpful? Yes 0

One of the reasons I didn't choose Ivey was because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do yet. In my opinion, Ivey is only worth going into if you are set on finance/consulting and if that's what you want to do and are set on doing. I wanted to look into the other streams before I make an informed decision on what I wanted to do, and even I do choose finance/consulting at the end Queen's will offer me the second best opportunities or I still have the option to transfer.

If you want to go into accounting/marketing/retail and that kind of stuff...you can get the same jobs you get at Ivey for cheaper at Schulich, Queen's and other schools. There is no point in paying 110K over your four years, if you know you want to get your CA and in that case you can even go to Laurier and get placed at a Big 4 and be a CA.

Other reasons included, the exchange option. If I were to go on exchange at Ivey, it would be during fourth year, and and I would be basically losing a quarter of my Ivey education and that's not something I would want to lose if I pay 37K a year. Queen's generally also had a better exchange program.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: There were also some very little factors that affected my decision but I rather not say because those were my personal preferences. You can message me if you are interested.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@goldmansachs wrote
In my opinion, Ivey is only worth going into if you are set on finance/consulting

+ 10 lol

@goldmansachs wrote
If you want to go into accounting/marketing/retail and that kind of stuff...you can get the same jobs you get at Ivey for cheaper at Schulich, Queen's and other schools. There is no point in paying 110K over your four years, if you know you want to get your CA and in that case you can even go to Laurier and get placed at a Big 4 and be a CA.

One of the reasons I'm leaning toward a CA now (Laurier + co-op + CA = good :)).

@goldmansachs wrote
If I were to go on exchange at Ivey, it would be during fourth year, and and I would be basically losing a quarter of my Ivey education and that's not something I would want to lose if I pay 37K a year. Queen's generally also had a better exchange program.

Yeah Queen's is SOOOO much better for exchanges. That would have been the selling feature for me.

EDIT: And thank you for that quote :). Some good information on there
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@waazup wrote
Is Ivey even all that good, safe & reliable?

Nothing is good, safe & reliable. Ivey is no exception; you'll be with 600+ kids granted you get in 3rd year and the competition can get quite intense and cut-throat. If you're confident in yourself though, Ivey is by far the best business school in Canada because at the end of the day ... you do business to get jobs and Ivey has the best recruiters for an Undergrad Business program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'll give some input (As someone who accepted Ivey .. but rejected it last minute).

At the end of the day, while I like the 2+2 concept, as mentioned above I don't think I could stand being in an ordinary UWO program for 2 years even if it was AEO - and this isn't because of some prestige bullcrap but because 1) You aren't even learning business 2) Lack of Job internship opportunities.

I would advise business students to look into QC for sure as it's a solid all around business program but keep in mind it probably comes close in terms of tuition overall in 4 years to Ivey. I also didn't really like the perceived Queen's atmosphere although this in hindsight was a little naive. Schulich is an intriguing option but I feel it's a little lower tier - while you'll have the Schulich name, based on what I've seen from some of my Schulich friends, legit internships are definitely hard out of year 1 and 2 summer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@immaculatedx wrote
I also didn't really like the perceived Queen's atmosphere although this in hindsight was a little naive.

What is the perceived Queen's atmosphere?

Edit: @Username81: No problem :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote

@immaculatedx wrote
I also didn't really like the perceived Queen's atmosphere although this in hindsight was a little naive.

What is the perceived Queen's atmosphere?

This is kind of multi-stage.

1) Queen's compared to universities like Western, York, UofT, and Waterloo (The schools that I applied to) is very white dominated - not that I have a problem or am uncomfortable with that, but as an Asian Canadian, I preferred a more diverse environment. I would say that this isn't too much of a problem as I know lots of non-Caucasian people in Queens.

2) The perceived snobbishness of QC specifically. I've heard a lot about the private school kids (Like St.Andrews) being a fed in and the cult-like feeling you get from QC.

In the end though, QC is a solid business program - and like I said, in hindsight I regret that I didn't even apply to QC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of schulichgirl schulichgirl

@goldmansachs wrote
One of the reasons I didn't choose Ivey was because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do yet. In my opinion, Ivey is only worth going into if you are set on finance/consulting and if that's what you want to do and are set on doing. I wanted to look into the other streams before I make an informed decision on what I wanted to do, and even I do choose finance/consulting at the end Queen's will offer me the second best opportunities or I still have the option to transfer.

Other reasons included, the exchange option. If I were to go on exchange at Ivey, it would be during fourth year, and and I would be basically losing a quarter of my Ivey education and that's not something I would want to lose if I pay 37K a year. Queen's generally also had a better exchange program.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: There were also some very little factors that affected my decision but I rather not say because those were my personal preferences. You can message me if you are interested.

+ 1

Seems like you have thought about the right things, good decision.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kdesjardins kdesjardins
[quote=immaculatedx]
@goldmansachs wrote

This is kind of multi-stage.

1) Queen's compared to universities like Western, York, UofT, and Waterloo (The schools that I applied to) is very white dominated - not that I have a problem or am uncomfortable with that, but as an Asian Canadian, I preferred a more diverse environment. I would say that this isn't too much of a problem as I know lots of non-Caucasian people in Queens.

2) The perceived snobbishness of QC specifically. I've heard a lot about the private school kids (Like St.Andrews) being a fed in and the cult-like feeling you get from QC.

In the end though, QC is a solid business program - and like I said, in hindsight I regret that I didn't even apply to QC.

Hey be nice! Although there are many snobby private school students, most of the students that are snobby are the ones that come from other country's - where their parents own a palace (or two). Most of these students do not move on to post secondary education in Canada. Seriously, private school students are more down to earth than you think.

Anyways, rankings don't really matter as much. Mainly because there are no undergraduate rankings for business schools in Canada.

Nonetheless, "current" rankings are really not that important. Ivey has slipped up a little bit in the past few years, however so, since the dawn of time Ivey has been known as "the" business school. That's not all that important though.

Reputation, cost, rankings and employment numbers aside, I chose Ivey because I could see myself at Western and as a Ivey Student.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YeJ98VY8MA&feature=player_embedded
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Yes goldmansachs, that's exactly what I was referring to from the old forums.

Anyways, I just don't know.

Immaculated, nice job accepting the Math/CA.

Well CA is definitely the safest, least stressful and stable way out. For me at least.

But, I just don't like the fact that any CA accredited accounting school in Canada can make you one. Now, I am not being cocky or overconfident or anything, but seeing some kids who "don't" really try in school, but manage to pull off 85 averages get into Brock's accounting program - which can lead you to a CA.

Now, coming from a "strong" Math background and nice averages, I just don't like it that much. Sure, my way of thinking is probably wrong, because there are GOOD CA's and bad ones too. That aside, the label is the same.

I was looking for something more challenging, and prestigious. Actuarial science was an option too, but it seems as if you must study as much as a medical graduate and still not get paid "enough?" - It's similar to a CA's pay, but generally a little higher. Also, the Act Sci is an pretty unknown, and I don't know a thing about employment in Canada - it should definitely be good though.

Then comes computer science, software, yeah..we'll put this aside since I haven't even coded yet. But I am still eligible.

Finance/Consulting is the one I like the best. But I am a bit confused about this. I don't really know where you can go with this for the longer period of time? People, well at least on Wall st, get laid off usually at economic downturns. What happens then? Switch companies, jobs, positions, what...? Do you keep doing the same thing after 20 years? Ugh..

BUT LOVE THE RESPONSES GUYS! This forum is crazy. Good night for now!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@waazup wrote
But, I just don't like the fact that any CA accredited accounting school in Canada can make you one. Now, I am not being cocky or overconfident or anything, but seeing some kids who "don't" really try in school, but manage to pull off 85 averages get into Brock's accounting program - which can lead you to a CA.

Now, coming from a "strong" Math background and nice averages, I just don't like it that much. Sure, my way of thinking is probably wrong, because there are GOOD CA's and bad ones too. That aside, the label is the same.

That is only because there are so many accounting jobs in Canada, and the industry relies less on connections. It's not like investment banking where your chances of making it big from a non-target school are infinitesimal. Yes you can still become a CA from Nipissing. The question is, can you land the Big 4 job, how easy will it be to move up to partner at a firm, how easy will it be to switch to industry or finance and land a good job? Will Nipissing have prepared you as well as Queen's/Waterloo/Laurier/Schulich/etc.? Also, there are many, many people who fail the UFE. Top schools such as Queen's, Schulich and Laurier have UFE pass rates above 90. This means that some of the "lesser" schools will have significantly lower pass rates. This is not to say that you can only achieve success on the UFE from a top school, but there are less CAs coming out of the "lesser" schools than the top schools. Many people going into accounting at these schools will become CGAs (whereas at Waterloo they don't even list it as an option). This is not saying that CGAs are bad, as there are some very successful CGAs and they can still make very good money.

Everyone might get that CA label, but remember it will be easier to get jobs from top schools. Waterloo for example has the highest co-op rates and the most Big 4 and CATO jobs for co-op. There are lots of recruiters and it is considered one of the top schools. Many students are intermediate or senior staff accountants at firms when they leave UW, and this is before many students at other schools even start getting a job. The snowball effect can end up working very well in your favour. You now have a degree from a top university, lots of experience already at (many times) top firms, and you likely have good accounting knowledge and good interview/networking skills if you are coming from a top school. You may have the same label as the guy from Algoma, but you are on different levels of the spectrum (most of the time).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround

@waazup wrote

Well CA is definitely the safest, least stressful and stable way out. For me at least.

You need to remember that there are significant academic steps one must take to obtain their CA. Using your example, someone who doesn't try and pulls off an 85 and goes to Brock is going to have to try at some point in University. The CA stream has minimum averages to maintain, a challenging course load, and sets of final exams that lead up to the designation. One who does not try would not get these. If one gets the same grades on the UFE and university average at Nipissing as you do at Waterloo or whatever, why shouldn't they be at the same level as you?

@g93 wrote

That is only because there are so many accounting jobs in Canada, and the industry relies less on connections. It's not like investment banking where your chances of making it big from a non-target school are infinitesimal. Yes you can still become a CA from Nipissing. The question is, can you land the Big 4 job, how easy will it be to move up to partner at a firm, how easy will it be to switch to industry or finance and land a good job? Will Nipissing have prepared you as well as Queen's/Waterloo/Laurier/Schulich/etc.?

The industry is very reliant on connections. The more people you know the better, especially big 4.

@g93 wrote

Yes you can still become a CA from Nipissing. The question is, can you land the Big 4 job, how easy will it be to move up to partner at a firm, how easy will it be to switch to industry or finance and land a good job?

Yes you can land a big 4 position at Nipissing. And what school you go to has no relation to how fast you can move up to partner. In theory, you have the same education, so it should be just as easy to switch to finance, but I don't know why someone would from a CA stream.

@g93 wrote

Will Nipissing have prepared you as well as Queen's/Waterloo/Laurier/Schulich/etc.?

In theory, yes, because you're taking the same courses.

@g93 wrote

Also, there are many, many people who fail the UFE. Top schools such as Queen's, Schulich and Laurier have UFE pass rates above 90. This means that some of the "lesser" schools will have significantly lower pass rates.

UFE training is done by your employer. Every accredited program takes the same courses. It's stupid to go to choose a school because they have a high UFE pass rate.

@g93 wrote

Everyone might get that CA label, but remember it will be easier to get jobs from top schools. Waterloo for example has the highest co-op rates and the most Big 4 and CATO jobs for co-op. There are lots of recruiters and it is considered one of the top schools. Many students are intermediate or senior staff accountants at firms when they leave UW, and this is before many students at other schools even start getting a job. The snowball effect can end up working very well in your favour. You now have a degree from a top university, lots of experience already at (many times) top firms, and you likely have good accounting knowledge and good interview/networking skills if you are coming from a top school. You may have the same label as the guy from Algoma, but you are on different levels of the spectrum (most of the time).

Yes this is true, like you said, most of the time. This is true if one does not know people in the industry. But to say that your accounting knowledge would vastly differ between schools is misleading. "top" schools are best known for their recruiting, not their technical skills.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
[quote=kiddinaround]

@g93 wrote

That is only because there are so many accounting jobs in Canada, and the industry relies less on connections. It's not like investment banking where your chances of making it big from a non-target school are infinitesimal. Yes you can still become a CA from Nipissing. The question is, can you land the Big 4 job, how easy will it be to move up to partner at a firm, how easy will it be to switch to industry or finance and land a good job? Will Nipissing have prepared you as well as Queen's/Waterloo/Laurier/Schulich/etc.?

The industry is very reliant on connections. The more people you know the better, especially big 4.[/QUOTE]Obviously it relies on connections. I was comparing it to investment banking/finance. Your chances of getting a Big 4 job from a non-target school (Nipissing) vs landing a job on Wall Street from a non-target (Nipissing again, which is a non-target in Canada, so that's like a double non-target) are significantly higher. But yes, if you want the top jobs, you will need to network. You just don't need to be at a school with a strong alumni base and network in the same way as finance.

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

Yes you can still become a CA from Nipissing. The question is, can you land the Big 4 job, how easy will it be to move up to partner at a firm, how easy will it be to switch to industry or finance and land a good job?

Yes you can land a big 4 position at Nipissing. And what school you go to has no relation to how fast you can move up to partner. In theory, you have the same education, so it should be just as easy to switch to finance, but I don't know why someone would from a CA stream.

here are some, but not as many. That was my point. Nipissing students usually are going to have a harder time achieving the things I listed. This is in part because top students don't choose Nipissing (they give you free tuition if your average is 90+), but if a top student was to choose Nipissing they could theoretically achieve those things without oo much trouble. It will definitely be tougher than at UW though.

Re finance: it is a roundabout way to get there, but there are enough that do it. I guess if that is your calling it's better to go for it than to sit in an office doing audits and hate it for the rest of your life.

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

Will Nipissing have prepared you as well as Queen's/Waterloo/Laurier/Schulich/etc.?

In theory, yes, because you're taking the same courses.

ipissing isn't as competitive of an environment, there will be fewer networking opportunities, the quality of the teaching could be lower (I don't know), there is no co-op and it will be harder to get jobs to gain practical experience.

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

Also, there are many, many people who fail the UFE. Top schools such as Queen's, Schulich and Laurier have UFE pass rates above 90. This means that some of the "lesser" schools will have significantly lower pass rates.

UFE training is done by your employer. Every accredited program takes the same courses. It's stupid to go to choose a school because they have a high UFE pass rate.

es, almost all of the time it is, but there is a basis of knowledge that was formed while in your program. The other argument is that it will be easier to get better jobs at the better schools. The better jobs often have excellent UFE prep, and it is no coincidence that the top UFE performers are usually working at the bigger firms. A student from a smaller school that works at a tiny accounting firm that offers little UFE prep could have a tough time passing the UFE. If you say that there are three main quantifiable factors that affect UFE pass rates, they would be 1) UFE training by employer (top employers usually better and top programs send more students to top employers) 2) Teaching methods at school (hard to quantify however, although many would assume the top programs are better) and 3) Intelligence ("smarter" people go to top schools). There is a reason why people at Queen's/Schulich pass the UFE ~95% of the time on their first try, and there is a reason that many college students don't do very well and there is a reason why students from "lesser" schools don't do as well. Which one of the 3 is more prevalent I don't know.

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

Yes this is true, like you said, most of the time. This is true if one does not know people in the industry. But to say that your accounting knowledge would vastly differ between schools is misleading. "top" schools are best known for their recruiting, not their technical skills.

I think my previous point kind of delves into this. Students at the top schools perform better on average on the UFE, which is one of the few ways you can measure some sort of skill between prospective CAs.

And no, usually it won't vastly differ.

-

I am not trying to bash schools. You can become a CA from virtually anywhere. The point is that it will be easier to become a CA on average from the top schools. They afford more opportunities and the competitive environment generally breeds success.

My point to waazup was that while you may have the same title as someone from Nipissing, this does not necessarily mean that you are the same. If the Nipissing student has the same attributes and job success as you do, then for sure he/she is totally deserving of the same positions as you because they worked their ass off to get to where they are.

My other point was that this will happen more often in accounting than investment banking/finance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of unigirl123101 unigirl123101

But, I just don't like the fact that any CA accredited accounting school in Canada can make you one.Now, I am not being cocky or overconfident or anything, but seeing some kids who "don't" really try in school, but manage to pull off 85 averages get into Brock's accounting program - which can lead you to a CA.

....The undergrad institution does NOT make you a CA...you have to remember that! The difference between getting your CA designation after completing you Bcomm or HBA or whatever at a school like Queen's or Ivey is that underneath your designation, you still have a better degree. Well, a degree with a better reputation anyway.

The second difference is that recruiters go to the TOP schools first, and many MANY of them fill their student quota without even making it to a school like Brock.

Going to a top school means getting access to better networks, better opportunities and always being a top choice for employers.

If you achieve your CA designation, then decide to transition out of your field into something else, having degree from a top program will be helpful too :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of foreveryoung foreveryoung

@goldmansachs wrote

+92347839247320948234
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mxfire mxfire
Where are all the Ivey kids? QC has such a strong presence on this forum, but I hardly see anyone who is enrolled at Ivey commenting :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@mxfire wrote
Where are all the Ivey kids? QC has such a strong presence on this forum, but I hardly see anyone who is enrolled at Ivey commenting :/

I'm not TECHNICALLY enrolled in Ivey yet, but I assume that Team Western is probably busy picking their courses right now... :cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0