yconic - Is McGill good for engineering?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is McGill good for engineering?

A photo of Thalamus Thalamus
Hello, I was wondering if McGill is considered a decent school for Engineering? I know U of T, U of W, and UBC are better, but does McGill really suck at engineering? I know that McGill is known for arts and sometimes science, but is it a good reputable school for engineering as well? I plan to go to grad. school at U of W and get a Masters, so will it matter in the end that I went to McGill for engineering? Thanks for the help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of civilboy civilboy
McGill is ranked 29 in the world ahead of waterloo which is ranked 39 this is according to the rankings of times new education or w.e its called anyways if i were u i would do opposite go waterloo for undergrad then mcgill for masters waterloo although seems undoubtably to have the best structure for an engineering program is no contest to mcgill in graduate studies. plus if u do ur undergrad at mcgill u got no coop wheras at waterloo u got coop thats 50 to 80 grand in earnings over 5 years according to waterloo what discipline are u goin into
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Going into ECE. And I'm wondering, why would it be better to go Waterloo for undergrad? Won't it be hard to get a good GPA? Thus lowering my chances for a good Grad. school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thats true but dont think mcgill is any easier its wayyyyyy harder where are you thinking of doing ur undergrad then
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm thinking of doing my undergrad at either McGill, UBC, Waterloo, or U of T. And is McGill really harder than Waterloo? The courseload at Waterloo is 30 hours / week + 30 hours of homework, so 60 hours a week. Plus you get no 4 month vacations at all...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Not going into engineering but thought I'd add in my two cents.
I wouldn't suggest going to U of T for undergrad, maybe for grad.
Maybe it's not true since I don't go to U of T, but it seems to me that it's very hard to maintain a high enough GPA at U of T to get into a decent grad school.
Waterloo's a good choice, they are best known for their Engineering and Math programs.
Co-op is definitely a bonus if you want to make some money while you're studying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah I kinda eliminated U of T from my choices due to its difficulty and giant class size. I'm still trying to figure how McGill, UW, and UBC are in terms of difficulty for Engineering. I thought McGill was by far the easiest of the bunch, but I civilboy says I'm wrong. I'm so confused now :/ I mean, Waterloo seems like the hardest because you get no vacation! Every other Unis you get around 4 months off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

its logical though mcgill is very competitive iv been to the school nd ive been to lectures at waterloo for engineering mcgill is hard especially engineering nd life science waterloo is stuff ive talked to kids with ap courses ib diploma 95+ average and they are struggling to keep 70% y dont u considered doin ur undergrad at mac or queens ubc which ive been admitted and have access to my timetable nd course list seems pretty tuff again 30 or so credits and second year its worssstt well over 30 credits but then again its all up to u nd how u study nd how badly u want it u wanna go get high gpa then go get it choose wer u wanna go nd thats it im just giving my opinion
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
yea im with civilboy choose wer ud like to go. Unless your looking at getting your masters right after uni i dont see why you even consider gpa. I mean once you become an eng after a few years gpa really wont mean much in the scheme of things. The whole bit about certain schools being harder may or may not be true but the bottom line is that engineering is going to be hard no matter where you go. More so if you hate where your studying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well the thing is, I really don't know where I would like to be. Each schools have their pro and cons, but I'm not sure how to weight them. All my family is in Montreal, which is a plus, but I can still visit them from time to time if I'm away. Waterloo gives me practical experience in the real-world, but there's no vacation time at all for yourself. UBC is in a beautiful city where I am certain that I will like.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jenyouwin jenyouwin
^
you will love vancouver. everyone does!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of meghie meghie
I'm just finishing up my first year (U0) at McGill in engineering. Our U0 year is general here so if you don't have enough AP credits you can just do a general program until you specialize in second year (U1). If anyone has any questions feel free to ask! I am going to major in Chemical Engineering.

meghie :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0