yconic - Is McMaster a good school for Biomedical Engineering?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is McMaster a good school for Biomedical Engineering?

A photo of TheFemaleEngineer TheFemaleEngineer
Hey guys, i applied to mac for engineering, and was wondering whether or not its a good school, particularly for biomedical engineering. i know that i'll pick that at the end of first year, but how easy is it to get that program choice? do a lot of people want it?

if you don't mind, please answer my other question :)
http://www.studentawards.com/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=11592
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Well, its not exactly "Biomedical Engineering". The Biomedical part is a minor attached to an electrical engineering degree or mechanical engineering degree (erm, only like 70% sure about the mechanical option, not quite sure). So you'd be in Electrical Engineering, but with a minor in Biomedical stuff. Look on Mac's website for your options with the biomedical minor, but im pretty sure its just elec and mech.

In terms of getting into the program, i think it's restricted by spots, so i would imagine its quite competitive since only so many people can graduate with that minor. However note that with a 75% average in first year, my prof said you have a very high chance of getting into any of your top pics for 2nd year, so i'd say the cu-off is about a 75% maximum.

I can't really vouch for comparisons of national standards of programs, but there is a lot of interest for it here at Mac now, so i could only imagine it can't be abysmal since there is demand for it.

Only a few uni's offer some type of biomedical program so luckily you dont have many universities to choose from, good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
To add to what chatmike said, I think a biomed minor makes you a lot more versatile than a biomed degree. I've known people who have gone through a biomed program and been totally unable to find work. If you are still a mechanical or electrical engineer, more options for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheFemaleEngineer TheFemaleEngineer
bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheKey TheKey

@TheFemaleEngineer wrote
but how easy is it to get that program choice? do a lot of people want it?

I hear it's one of the harder programs to get into.

@ktel wrote
To add to what chatmike said, I think a biomed minor makes you a lot more versatile than a biomed degree. I've known people who have gone through a biomed program and been totally unable to find work. If you are still a mechanical or electrical engineer, more options for you.

Ooo, that scares me, because I'm going into Biomedical Engineering (more towards the mechnaical mainsteam and not electrical).

Do you know what university and program your friends did (that were unable to find work)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
University of Alberta, Biomedical Engineering as part of the Mechanical department.
Was this helpful? Yes 0