yconic - Is my luck that bad?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is my luck that bad?

A photo of frustratedstudent frustratedstudent
Hey StudentAwards Forum,

I'm a Gr. 12 student who has applied to some business programs...but honestly I don't know what has been happening..I'm not getting any acceptances.

My average is a 92.16 which in my opinion isn't that bad and I applied to:

Schulich BBA
Ivey AEO
Queen's Commerce
Waterloo AFM-PA
McGill Desautels
McGill Arts
Waterloo FARM
Laurier BBA

My extracurriculars are really good too, I've been on school teams since I was in Grade 9..I've been on Student Council since I was in grade 9 with being executive treasurer this year. Did some stuff in the community...volunteered at hospital.

I consider these extracurriculars to be pretty good and at least enough for Ivey and stuff..but I didn't even get AEO yet and I don't know why. People with lower averages than me got in from my school yesterday and they are not even as involved as I am and they have averages in the 88s and 89s..so I guess I'm rejected but why??

I had 17 extracurriculars listed on the app, with at least 7 of them being leadership ecs. My application was pretty good. Why did I get rejected.. well they didn't say anything but still. Also I did not hear from all the other programs except for Schulich BBA..McGill Arts and Laurier BBA..

Is there like anyone in my situation..like honestly I don't understand why this is happening to me?? My writing isn't that BAD.. I managed to get a 92 in English and finished with high 80s in AF and Calculus.

I'm sorry if I'm ranting but I'm really upset..is there anyone in my situation? And what is the last day we could find out if we are accepted/rejected?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
If this isn;t a troll - there could be errors in your OUAC about your personal information. Talk to your guidance counseller.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
AFM acceptance don't come out until May 16th.
Queen's is tough to get into. Ditto for Ivey and McGill and Schulich.

I wouldn't worry too much about those yet.

I'm not sure about McGill Arts, or FARM.

Now Laurier BBA, that is suspicious. Is the 92 average after midterms? What was your average before midterms?

There is absolutely no reason you shouldn't have got an offer from Laurier. I would suggest calling them on Monday and ask them about that. Maybe you got skipped, or something else went wrong.

As for the other schools, I would think you would have got into one of them. Maybe your school hasn't submitted the marks yet?

EDIT: Probably should have read all of that. Well, I wouldn't be overly concerned. They are tough programs to get into. Rumors of McGill cutoff going up to 93 or something, QC has turned away many excellent applicants, same for Ivey.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
Last day for responses is May 30th.

AFM hasn't started sending offers yet.

With regards to the rest of things, being involved doesn't guarantee anything. The admissions committees don't know anything about you except what you put on the page. Your ECs may be great but if that doesn't com across then the admissions officers don't know that they are. Yes it sucks, but that is the reality of it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
AFM acceptance don't come out until May 16th.
Queen's is tough to get into. Ditto for Ivey and McGill and Schulich.

I wouldn't worry too much about those yet.

I'm not sure about McGill Arts, or FARM.

Now Laurier BBA, that is suspicious. Is the 92 average after midterms? What was your average before midterms?

There is absolutely no reason you shouldn't have got an offer from Laurier. I would suggest calling them on Monday and ask them about that. Maybe you got skipped, or something else went wrong.

As for the other schools, I would think you would have got into one of them. Maybe your school hasn't submitted the marks yet?

Uh sorry as I've mentioned I got into Schulich BBA, Laurier and McGill Arts.. 92.16 is my top 6 average. And I know the other programs are had to get into but..like I should've been able to get AEO by now..people from school got it yesterday with lower averages I don't understand..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
If this isn;t a troll - there could be errors in your OUAC about your personal information. Talk to your guidance counseller.

What makes you think I'm a troll :S

Nope I reviewed my grades and personal information...but thanks for the suggestion.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You guys are honestly so lucky...the last time I was able to celebrate an acceptance was March 10th..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@frustratedstudent wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

What makes you think I'm a troll :S

Nope I reviewed my grades and personal information...but thanks for the suggestion.

There are many people that come on here with situations similar to yours, but better marks.ECs, or the exact opposite "I have a 78, will I get into AEO at Queen's" (and yes, AEO at Queen's)

Edit: March 10th- it was before that for me. I'm still waiting of AFM. 9 more days :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
Again, I will point out that while you may see your ECs as fantastic that isn't what matters. They may not have come across as impressive to the people reading the supplementary forms.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ Oh okay, hah yes I started checking this forum a couple of months ago and I seen some of those. But I'm not kidding around.

Oh yeah I know AFM gives them mid-May. Thanks for the information. Good luck to all of you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@North wrote
Again, I will point out that while you may see your ECs as fantastic that isn't what matters. They may not have come across as impressive to the people reading the supplementary forms.

I see it's just that people with less leadership positions got in right? That's why this is really ticking me off..like I know this girl with a 89.. and she is absolutely stupid and she didn't take a single math course other than data management and took bird courses like writers craft and "business leadership".

Uhm..can this be a reason why I was rejected from Ivey - like on my application for the 4U Math course I listed Data Mgmt but I dropped it before second semester started but I still had AF and Calculus under my belt?

Can this be a reason why I could be rejected..because the math course I listed wasn't in my set of marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I feel your pain. Seeing people get AEO with lower averages yet a bit better EC's is a real piss off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Here's what may be hurting you:

- Math marks (those are extremely good - high 80s), but maybe your programs are looking for 90s, mid 90s perhaps.

- How'd you do in Gr.11?
- What do YOU think is holding you back?
Was this helpful? Yes 0