yconic - Is my math teacher harder than yours?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is my math teacher harder than yours?

A photo of brady23 brady23
What would you rate the difficulty of these thinking questions out of 10? This is for MCR3U (Grade 11).

1) Given that cos A = 5/14 and sin B = 4/5, determine the exact value of (cosAtanA)/cscA + (sinBsecB)/cotB

2) A trapezoid ABDE has a point C on side BD so that BC = 21 and CD = 19. Given <ABD and < EDB are right angles, if < ACB = 69 degrees and <DCE = 81 degrees, then determine AE correct to one decimal place.

What types of thinking questions do you get and how would you rate yours?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
Oh I loved the trig units! Got perfect/90s on every quiz and test. Yeah I got similar questions to yours, drawing diagrams really help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Business1234 Business1234

@brady23 wrote
What would you rate the difficulty of these thinking questions out of 10? This is for MCR3U (Grade 11).

1) Given that cos A = 5/14 and sin B = 4/5, determine the exact value of (cosAtanA)/cscA + (sinBsecB)/cotB

2) A trapezoid ABDE has a point C on side BD so that BC = 21 and CD = 19. Given <ABD and < EDB are right angles, if < ACB = 69 degrees and <DCE = 81 degrees, then determine AE correct to one decimal place.

What types of thinking questions do you get and how would you rate yours?

meh...7/10? for grade 11..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
It has been quite awhile since Grade 11 math, and I had AF last year and Calc/Vectors this year, so some of it might be getting mixed together, but both of those seem ridiculously easy.

I couldn't tell you what we actually did though. That was way too long ago.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
Welcome to grade 11 math. Grade 11 is a jump from grade 10 regardless of what subject it's in. You're just experiencing the normal leap in the area of math.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
Dont know if its cause im in grade 12 and ive already learned this, but those seem ridiculously easy. its nothing harder than subbing in / primary trig ratios. wouldnt be surprised if the second question was put into an application category. Now since primary trig ratios were already taught in grade 10, i would rate 3-4/10.

anyways at my old school the average for thinking tests was around 50%, so if your class average is higher than that be happy lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
I'm fresh out of grade 11 math from first semester and halfway through grade 12 math. I'd rate those 6-7/10. They probably seem easy to me now, but it would've taken at least a few moments of thinking last semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0