yconic - Is Queen's worth the debt?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is Queen's worth the debt?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Queen's is the uni of my dreams. It's either that or U of T

Queen's: amazing experience, huge debt

Toronto: not be as happy, be debt free

I can't apply for a grant or bursary from OSAP because my parents make too much. They won't consider the fact that my parents are under huge debt and paying for my 2 sisters' tuitions.
I could get a student line of credit or loan, but realistically speaking, i'll probably be in debt for a long time.
Is it possible to get a job and be on top of my student loan? or is that just not possible?
Is the debt worth it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of irisf irisf
Queen's is also my dream school, I'm planning on attending next year. Everyone I know that goes there is absolutely in love with it, not to mention the fact that when a company sees that school on your resume they're going to really like it.

I was a little freaked out when I found out I couldn't get very much from osap too (my parents have piled on debts), but if you apply for osap and you get no money or very little there is a way to potentially still get more. If there are extenuating circumstances, you can send in whatever sort of documentation that applies to the circumstance and they'll reconsider the amount. So maybe you could send in documentation of their line of credit or something? You should look into that before turning to actual bank loans, I believe those have crazy interest on them... You should try calling the OSAP offices and seeing what they can tell you.

Otherwise, I'd say the loans are an investment in your future, so if it really is your dream school and you think it will make you happy, go. University isn't just about learning, it's about the experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@irisf wrote
not to mention the fact that when a company sees that school on your resume they're going to really like it

Probably not any more than any other school, unless maybe they went to Queens and it piques their interest. But you could say that about any school then.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of irisf irisf

@ktel wrote

@irisf wrote
not to mention the fact that when a company sees that school on your resume they're going to really like it

Probably not any more than any other school, unless maybe they went to Queens and it piques their interest. But you could say that about any school then.

Not true! Quite a few people in my family work for companies where a part of their job is to hire new employees... They definitely look at your school. If you went to McGill, employers are going to take note of the fact that it's not an easy school to get into, let alone graduate from. I mean, of course U of T is also a really great school, so my argument in this case is kind of invalid anyways, but it definitely does sway decisions...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
But there are so many schools like that. U of A, UBC, Queens, McGill, U of T, etc. So maybe if you went to your local college you will be at a disadvantage, but otherwise not so much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs

@Treemonkey wrote

I can't apply for a grant or bursary from OSAP because my parents make too much. They won't consider the fact that my parents are under huge debt and paying for my 2 sisters' tuitions.
I could get a student line of credit or loan, but realistically speaking, i'll probably be in debt for a long time.
Is it possible to get a job and be on top of my student loan? or is that just not possible?
Is the debt worth it?

Queen's isn't that expensive, the only program that's expensive as hell is Commerce. Even if you are applying to QC, there are sections in the bursary where it allows you to say anything additional, perhaps you can write your circumstance there.

And I didn't fill out OSAP yet, but I'm pretty sure there is a section on how many siblings you have and if they are attending a post-secondary institution. Oh also make sure you don't have a car on your name, OSAP doesn't give you money at all if the student has a car.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote

@Treemonkey wrote

Is the debt worth it?

Queen's isn't that expensive, the only program that's expensive as hell is Commerce. Even if you are applying to QC, there are sections in the bursary where it allows you to say anything additional, perhaps you can write your circumstance there.

And I didn't fill out OSAP yet, but I'm pretty sure there is a section on how many siblings you have and if they are attending a post-secondary institution. Oh also make sure you don't have a car on your name, OSAP doesn't give you money at all if the student has a car.

Good luck!

Not expensive? Along with residence, the cost can go up to 16 000 dollars. Maybe you consider this as a small amount, but i definitely don't.
Even if i got a $2000 bursary, i would still have 14 000 left to pay. Not to mention cost of living.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote

@Treemonkey wrote

Is the debt worth it?

Good luck!

Not expensive? Along with residence, the cost can go up to 16 000 dollars. Maybe you consider this as a small amount, but i definitely don't.
Even if i got a $2000 bursary, i would still have 14 000 left to pay. Not to mention cost of living.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
OSAP? Scholarship? Work? What does it work out to if you do all of them?

And isn't residence included in the "cost of living"?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
$16,000 all in? That includes residence and tuition? Sounds pretty standard to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0