yconic - Is there a possibility
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is there a possibility

A photo of me14 me14
I decided to switch fields and go from business into medicine
so now i have to switch courses,...
but my teacher said that with a bad average in math that i have, i wont be able to take all of the sciences because they involve math as well (chem and physics)my math average is pretty low (around 70) but i know that if i try, i could improve that mark....
my science is better, around a high 80ish but i could improve on that too....
my overall average isnt so bad, about an 85ish....again i could improve....
i want to ask that to get into pharmacology or a science faculty, i need the three sciences in high schools but still get really good grades...........is grade 11 and 12 chem and bio and physics and university math combined a bad choice or if enough hard work is put into it, can it become easy,
thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
You don't need all 3 high school sciences to get into a Science program.
Only 2 of the 3.
+ Calculus
and some programs require Math 12 (or Adv Functions if you're from Ontario)
It is safer to take all 3 sciences though, just to have a back up in case you mess up in one.
Personally, I took all 3 sciences, both at the grade 11 and 12 level, as well as both Math 12 and AP Calculus.
I was in the same situation as you.
The first time I took Math 12 (which was last year in grade 11 because I'm one year ahead in Math), I did VERY poorly. A little better than you're doing now, but still not up to my own standards.
But I used that mark and submitted it for university anyways, for the schools that required marks right away.. such as U of T and Waterloo, and I still got accepted.
But the one thing that did help bring my mark up was my English 12 mark (95) as well as my 2 sciences which were in the high 80s low 90s.

The one thing I can tell you is that it doesn't get any easier, sorry.
:P
Grade 11 sciences are a lot of calculations - especially Physics and Chem. Grade 12 Phys and Chem is a lot more conceptual kinds of topics..
Bio 11 and 12 are pretty similar.. both are pretty much memorization, but bio 12 has quite a bit of Chemistry incorporated into it.
But if you're willing to work hard to pull your math mark up, and even your science marks up a little.. Science/Pharmacology is definitely a possibility in the future.

If you can pull up your average of your top 6 (assuming you're from Ont) including Eng 12, 2 Science 12s, Adv Functions, Calculus, and one other course to at LEAST a 90.. You're pretty much guaranteed a spot at 75% of the universities you will apply to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0