yconic - Is there a way?
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is there a way?

A photo of DavidG91 DavidG91
Hey everyone. I'm not sure if this is in the right forum. But believe me when I say the predicament I'm about to say keeps me up at night. Just looking for some options, advice, or some hope.

Here's a somewhat detailed account of my current situation and questions:

I'l be turning 20 in November. Last year I spent one year in a General Arts & Science program as I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted to go into. Now I do - Public Relations. I have applied, and been accepted to the program at Algonquin College. I have roughly $3000.00 due in tuition mid-July.

Herein lies my issue, money. Everything I had in savings, I spent last year on the GAS program. I'm broke. I'm back in my hometown for now living with my parents rent free. I'm currently unemployed as it's a small town and job opportunities can be scarce, but things are beginning to look hopeful.

Sorry for rambling. The Heart of the issue is This.

My parents are above the salary 'cap' for OSAP applications. For personal, and extremely complicated reasons, they are at the same time, entirely unwilling to financially assist me in my educational endeavours from this point forward.

So, how do I pay for the next 2 years (minimum, probably something like 4 when I'm done) of my education? I'm ineligible for an OSAP loan because of the money they make. They would not co-sign a bank loan for me under any circumstance.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. This has been eating away at me for a long time, and it has been a while since I've heard anything hopeful.


Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies
A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Wa-wa-wa-wa- *ahem* work. Uhhh. Hard word to say.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stranger Stranger
Can't you say that your parents won't support you or something like that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DonnaElle DonnaElle
You can get a loan from a bank. Perhaps a student line of credit?
Sure its not as great as OSAP, but if you don't qualify for OSAP,
its a good option.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of futuredoc futuredoc
Well since you're 20, declare yourself independent. In this case, you don't have to list your parents income on OSAP (I'm pretty sure), and you will most likely qualify for OSAP. Hope this helps, and good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Madss Madss
Call OSAP and tell them you're getting 0 contribution from your parents. If you live rent free but can't afford the education or your parents won't send you then they will make an exception. It will be harder but you can get it. You're independent, call.
Was this helpful? Yes 0