yconic - Is there any hope?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is there any hope?

A photo of Aphex Aphex
Under some bad circumstances and counselling, I am unable to take the required ENG4UO course in regular day school. This course is required for virtually every program out there.

I applied to all arts programs, most of which require mid to high 70's. Last semester I ended up with a 79% average. I applied to Waterloo, honor of arts regular Legal Studies and the same program in St.Jerome university (part of waterloo). I also applied to Ryerson for criminal justice and University of Toronto Mississauga for criminology. My top choice being Waterloo. Is there any glimpse of hope for me? Will the universities wait for me? Or will I just be rejected?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of saber33 saber33
How is that possible?

Anyways, all universities can see what courses you are currently enrolled in. If ENG4U isn't there, I doubt they'll send you an offer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
Night school? Summer school? online?
I would suggest you call them asap and tell them what happened, they might let you take it in summer school ( probably not UTM tho :/ )
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Aphex Aphex
In short, I messed up in grade 11 and got a horrendous mark in English. This mark was partly due to a bad teacher and personal issues. I decided to re-take it this year and get a good mark this time around. Everything was fine, until I took a look at my schedule. For some stupid reason my counselor decided to place me in the grade 11 course in second semester. I confronted her and told her that I needed to take it first semester so I could take the grade 12 second semester. But she told me that all of the courses were full and online school did not offer the grade 11 course. She also told me that night school was full.

Nyx, I e-mailed waterloo and they responded by telling me that I could take it in summer school, and I would only be accepted if there are any spots open.

Do you guys think that Honors of Arts in Waterloo fill up completely, or do they have a few spots left in the end?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NerdmobileDriver NerdmobileDriver
I think you're going to have to hope for the best in summer, because it's probably too late to take it in night school (not sure about online, though). I don't think you'll be able to get regular acceptance and keep the offer it because one of the conditions is that you get your OSSD, usually by the end of June (which is too early for summer school), and you can't graduate without grade 12 English (I'm assuming that you aren't taking any other English courses). I'm pretty certain about this, but I could be wrong (except about needing English to graduate). Good luck, though. It's a very sucky situation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poeticallydemented poeticallydemented
The requirements on the acceptance letter outline that you must recieve your OSSD. Without an English credit, you cannot graduate from high school. I can't imagine there being any spots left at Waterloo, especially if you wanted to go into residence. They were just ranked #1 in the country by Maclean's magazine.

I think you might be stuck having to take a victory lap... sucky situation!! Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Aphex Aphex
@peoticallydemented and NerdmobileDriver, after consulting my schools principle and guidance counselor, they said that the particular case which I am in happens to people all the time. As for the OSSD, I'm pretty sure that I need the OSSD to be admitted to university, or more specifically be enrolled and be a regular student I need the OSSD. Look at early acceptances, people get admitted to university in first semester and they don't have their OSSD.

@poeticallydemented, yea I realize the competitive nature of Waterloo, but aren't those the engineering and business programs? Or are the Arts programs just as competitive?
Plus, I'm not interested in residence, so what is the likely hood that there will be spots available until I get my English credit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Aphex wrote
@peoticallydemented and NerdmobileDriver, after consulting my schools principle and guidance counselor, they said that the particular case which I am in happens to people all the time. As for the OSSD, I'm pretty sure that I need the OSSD to be admitted to university, or more specifically be enrolled and be a regular student I need the OSSD. Look at early acceptances, people get admitted to university in first semester and they don't have their OSSD.

@poeticallydemented, yea I realize the competitive nature of Waterloo, but aren't those the engineering and business programs? Or are the Arts programs just as competitive?
Plus, I'm not interested in residence, so what is the likely hood that there will be spots available until I get my English credit.

Yes, they may be admitted without their OSSD but keep in mind that all offers are conditional. The student must recieve their OSSD by a certain date (usually late June when all final marks are sent in to the OUAC) in order to keep their acceptance.

I don't know the specifics about Waterloo, but it is a top ranked school and those schools normally don't have much (if any) space left in their programs once admission closes. If you were talking about Brock, Trent, Laurentian, etc. it would be completely different. I would ask them what the chances are of you getting on once you complete English in summer schoo. Do it over the summer for sure and see what happens, you never know. My only advice would be not to count on admission to Waterloo for Fall 2011.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
That's not very nice.
:bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
Aphex, is it possible just to do a semester in high school and then start at waterloo in January? I know it's not ideal, but it's better than wasting an entire year...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@Nyx wrote
Aphex, is it possible just to do a semester in high school and then start at waterloo in January? I know it's not ideal, but it's better than wasting an entire year...

I hear it's horrible doing that...

And you don't get to attend Frosh, to some that doesn't sound too meaningful but Frosh is actually a very helpful and fun week
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
^
That's not very nice.
:bounce:

What, my comment? Or reality? Both suck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
Oh no, not your comment.
Someone elses.. but I guess the mod's deleted it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0