yconic - Is there something wrong with me?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is there something wrong with me?

A photo of Marvill Marvill
I studied for 5 hours for two days (for a grand total of 10 hours, yay...) for a physics test and studied for the same amount of time for a data management test in the same week, and I am a student who has been consistently getting 90% and higher in my academics in previous years, but this year I am only in the high 80's. Why is this happening to me? I am getting frazzled and very anxious because students who NEVER did better than me in school are finally getting higher grades. I am trying to keep up. I study and study and study and ask questions all the time but I CANNOT seem to bring these marks up. I am at least in the top 1% of the population being identified as gifted in elementary school, so how can their marks outshine mine? What am I doing wrong?

Are bad grades a sign of deteriorating intelligence?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of mahasami mahasami
Don't stress over it so much, I've noticed that when I stress out I usually do worse. Or maybe you're just not picking out the right information, or simply not "Understanding" the material.

Maybe try joining a study group with the people who are getting good grades in those classes, that might help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Toronto12 Toronto12

@Marvill wrote
I studied for 5 hours for two days (for a grand total of 10 hours, yay...) for a physics test and studied for the same amount of time for a data management test in the same week, and I am a student who has been consistently getting 90% and higher in my academics in previous years, but this year I am only in the high 80's. Why is this happening to me? I am getting frazzled and very anxious because students who NEVER did better than me in school are finally getting higher grades. I am trying to keep up. I study and study and study and ask questions all the time but I CANNOT seem to bring these marks up. I am at least in the top 1% of the population being identified as gifted in elementary school, so how can their marks outshine mine? What am I doing wrong?

Umm I have to say that's not bad having to study only 2 days for 2 tests as well. I remember when I'm in highschool, I used to study for 5 days or 7 days for 1-2 test and each with 2-3 hours a day. Although I did not get 90s, I did get high 80s. I'm now in second year at UofT and roughly do the same amount of time or more for midterms and manage to pull low-mid 80s.

Now from what I've read I could tell that your really smart or even gifted due to the short amount of time to study for tests. However, your study time is not enough despite you being intelligent. You should be prepared to increase your amount of studying time when your entering university although it's not relevant now it will be when you enter.
Consider the case;

"I knew a friend that were very smart in highschool. They can study only 1 day for a unit test and still get high 90s while I sometimes literally study 5 times more than them and manage to get only mid 80s yet my studying habits were vastly superior to him. However, as time passed we part our ways to different universities and each carrying our own studying habits. During my first and second year at university, I continued to work hard despite other people putting less effort than me and finally managed to get low to mid 80s in almost all my courses. However the same friend that had bad study habits failed almost all his courses and wasted almost $20,000 of tuition."

Now I'm not saying that you should end up like me studying for soo much just to receive so little because I know you won't have to since your naturally smart. If you could put in a little more effort, you'll see huge increase in your grades and will significantly do better than your peers during first year. Getting that over with, I recommend one last tip which involves ethical behavior. "I am at least in the top 1% of the population being identified as gifted in elementary school, so how can their marks outshine mine?" -Marvill, I may be wrong or have falsely interpreted this sentence and if I did, I apologize. However, having a sense of pride and ego will also result in failure and relating too much to the past can also cause lower self-esteem if you did poorly in first year. If you would want to understand more, I would be gladly to share another real story. o.e

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sherrybloosm sherrybloosm
There is nothing wrong with you. I know that feeling all too well. I'm the only one out of all my friends who didn't get accepted to an Ivy league school. Continue to study hard and perseverance will pay off:)

University of Western Ontario
Class of 2015
BMOS with AEO Status
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Why not study for an hour for a week? Perhaps a different study schedule would help you. What you did sounds like cramming, which doesn't work for some people.

You post the same thing and get the same advice. What do you want to hear?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26

@Marvill wrote

You are psyching yourself out, big time. You need to step back and chill out.

Oh, and like others have suggested, try studying 5+ days before the test instead of cramming. But you still need to relax and stop overthinking your abilities right now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sllencer sllencer
It's like learning to play an instrument. Practising once a week for 10 hours, is actually not as good as practising 1 hour, evryday. THough, I don't suggest you do just 1 hour, if it's math you need a bit more time to do those questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brittxmac brittxmac

@Marvill wrote

high 80's is great. stop worrying about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nagareboshi nagareboshi
Don't worry too much about it! And perhaps life is giving other people a chance at this time. Just pace yourself and no, intelligence isn't measured by grades. Maybe you could try a different studying habit. After all, it's quality over quantity. Even if you study 5hrs a day, it depends on how much you get out of it. Good luck. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
Yes there is. Your problem is that you're comparing yourself to other students, rationalizing that you should do better than them because of some intrinsic properties you have that make you better than them, and then not truly trying your hardest because of it.
Lose the ego. Study hard. Ignore them. Do your tests to get good on the tests. Don't worry. You'll do yourself a lot better if you are relaxed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0