yconic - Is there time for a job?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is there time for a job?

A photo of give give
As a full time student, is there ever time for a job between academics and socializing?

How many hours a week constitutes your workload?
(An example of full-time student's schedule for a week would be nice.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
33 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Well, I just recently quit my job but I can still give you a good estimate.

During the school, between balancing summer school 5 days a week, I worked for 35-45 hours a week.

Once school started, I started off working around 20.. but a few months in, took away one shift, so around 15 hours a week, give or take 1-2 hours.
Along with school, I also have other commitments, such as clubs and community organizations.

If you're not too caught up in your academics and can give up time on the weekends, it's not a bad idea to get a job.
But if you have absolutely no ECs, you would be better off getting involved over getting a job, unless you REALLY need the money.
Universities are more concerned about your extracurricular involvement. Paid work means nothing to them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Use the search function. This has already been discussed at length before.

Yes, you can work a job no problem while being in school. I worked 40 hours a week with one job, 10-20 with another, and went to school full time. Not hard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stranger Stranger

@ARMY101 wrote

Yes, you can work a job no problem while being in school. I worked 40 hours a week with one job, 10-20 with another, and went to school full time. Not hard.

What was your average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Stranger wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

What was your average?

In high school 90; in university A.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Nope, no lies. That's what I do.

And yes, some med. school graduates have worked at McDonald's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IreneFiasco IreneFiasco
I understand that balancing work and being a full-time student is do-able, but where am I fitting the ECs D; I need the money from the job, but at the same time I know that ECs are really important
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IreneFiasco wrote
I understand that balancing work and being a full-time student is do-able, but where am I fitting the ECs D; I need the money from the job, but at the same time I know that ECs are really important

What do you need EC's for?

P.S. During that schedule in high school, I was also able to do about 600 hours worth of volunteer work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

I'm in the law program at one of Canada's most prestigious universities, taking excellent courses led by industry-leading professionals, and holding an A average through it all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of civilboy civilboy
easyyy its still carleton
Was this helpful? Yes 0

And your point? I also received acceptances to attend Queen's, Western, Ottawa, and Laurier. If anything, Carleton's professors would mark harder just to combat your false thought that it's an "easy" university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Thank you.

P.S. You've spelled EASY wrong 3 times now. It's E - A - S - Y.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of MelRadford MelRadford
Lol. Do I have to prove I can spell E-A-S-Y? Easy!

Seriously though, why are EC so important to a University? How many are we supposed to do, and does it matter what kind?

I am worried about fitting in work with a full course load. It's a lot!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emilyharrod emilyharrod
there is more than enough time for a part-time job!
it is always good to gain some independence financially before starting university or college life
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of civilboy civilboy
sorry for being a hater and disrupting this conversation my apologies
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It is important to put your school priorities before your job. I work a part time job, and I always make sure I have certain nights off so I am able to study.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Shannie Shannie
one of my teachers said not to get a job in the FIRST YEAR
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of food13 food13
if your gunna get a job then work during the weekends...i dont have a job but my mom said that was a great thing to do!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jhazz jhazz
I work about 12-15 hours (give or take a few) every week, and am a full-time student. I dont find balancing work and school too hard, and I still have a social life! I definitely don't reccomend getting a job in first year though, you'll definitely want to feel out how you study and if you'll even have time for a job! since not all places are leniant with student schedules!

good luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anhongle anhongle
I'm still in my last year of high school and balancing school, work, and my social life isn't all that hard. I work a retail job so on average, I get around 2-4 4 hour shifts a week, which gives me enough time to do almost anything :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0