yconic - Is this area safe?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is this area safe?

A photo of Ju Ju
I am moving soon and I was wondering whether this area is safe or not.

off Sheppard Ave between Jane Street and Weston Road or off Jane Street between Sheppard and Finch Ave

I want somewhere near York (ie. no more than 40 mins of commute, including time walking to the bus stop), BUT of course, safety is my priority.

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of link link
Both areas are kinda iffy. If i were you and decided to move there, i'd keep some emergency lube in my back pocket at all times...just in case
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
That area is fine. As long as your not rolling through jane and finch and keele and finch past 2am you won't have any issues.

Pretty much anywhere north of bloor on the University subway line will probably get you to York in 40 min or less. From Downsview station, there are buses that go straight to York. They travel up Dufferin, which has its own bus lane at all times, and there is a special bus track that goes straight to York from about Dufferin and Finch. They are also planning on expanding the subway up to York within the next 5 years if your still around at that time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of treecows treecows
Don't get involved with the crime scene, and you're fine. All the shootings/stabbings that happen are rarely random.

If I were you I'd live in the Keele and Finch area, where York's student village is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ju Ju

@link wrote
Both areas are kinda iffy. If i were you and decided to move there, i'd keep some emergency lube in my back pocket at all times...just in case

That's how I feel too. I find that areas near York are all kind of scary, but I don't want to live so far away from the campus because I have to be at school by 8am. Such a dilemma.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ju Ju

@kiddinaround wrote
That area is fine. As long as your not rolling through jane and finch and keele and finch past 2am you won't have any issues.

Pretty much anywhere north of bloor on the University subway line will probably get you to York in 40 min or less. From Downsview station, there are buses that go straight to York. They travel up Dufferin, which has its own bus lane at all times, and there is a special bus track that goes straight to York from about Dufferin and Finch. They are also planning on expanding the subway up to York within the next 5 years if your still around at that time.

Thanks for letting me know! The latest I'll be leaving school is 7pm, but I know that when winter comes... it gets dark even at 3:30 in the afternoon. I never go out at night, I don't like nightlife. I know Jane/Finch is an area to be avoided and the place I mentioned at the beginning is pretty close to Jane/Finch, so yah... just a bit concerned.

I heard that they are expanding the subway, but I'll be done before they are finished. :)

It's just a little difficult for me to decide where to rent as I am not familiar with Toronto. It's difficult to determine whether the neighbourhood is safe or not when you aren't familiar to begin with.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I'm also on the apartment hunt and not from Toronto. Luckily my boyfriend is from there and has already started work, so he'll do the looking. I'm going to U of T but their aerospace department is out past Downsview, so sort of near York. We're looking at places near St Clair or St George, so still on that side of the subway line, but a little closer to downtown. From what I can tell it would take me 45 minutes or so to get to UTIAS from those areas.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ju Ju

@ktel wrote
I'm also on the apartment hunt and not from Toronto. Luckily my boyfriend is from there and has already started work, so he'll do the looking. I'm going to U of T but their aerospace department is out past Downsview, so sort of near York. We're looking at places near St Clair or St George, so still on that side of the subway line, but a little closer to downtown. From what I can tell it would take me 45 minutes or so to get to UTIAS from those areas.

I'll have roommates because I can't and don't think is realistic to afford a bachelor apartment in Toronto as I move quite often. It's difficult to find decent places and good roommates. Yes, I am quite selective when it comes to roommates.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Yeah, it would be pretty unaffordable to live on your own. We're looking at $1200/month including utilities for some one bedroom apartments...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ju Ju
If you are living with your boyfriend and sharing the rent, it comes to $600/month. I think it's an acceptable price with everything included. It's always nice to have someone who's familiar with the area. But, I have to do all the adjustments before September comes (I lived in Toronto before, in downtown area, not North York... so yah, change of environment for me again).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Yes it's affordable because we're sharing the rent, but for the average student a one bedroom apartment would definitely not be affordable if you're on your own.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
$1200 a month would be typical for a downtown location around U of T. However, you can find much more affordable places at the north end of the city, or even outside the city (Missisauga, Brampton, Markham, Richmond Hill etc.)

http://www.yorku.ca/web/futurestudents/map/keele_directions_transit.html

There are some decent transit alternative routes on the link i just posted. It is not necassary to live IN Toronto to go to York. Any bus that avoids the 401 will generally be pretty reliable. The 407 Express Go Bus is a great route.

There are also VIVA routes that could allow you to live in the Vaughn area. (As a Torontonian, the viva is usually laughed at, but its not really a bad transportation route.)

Also, You can expand your options of anywhere on the bloor line really, as York university is quite accesible from Downsview station.

Unfortunately, a car is still the quickets and most convenient transportation method.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ju Ju

@kiddinaround wrote
$1200 a month would be typical for a downtown location around U of T. However, you can find much more affordable places at the north end of the city, or even outside the city (Missisauga, Brampton, Markham, Richmond Hill etc.)

http://www.yorku.ca/web/futurestudents/map/keele_directions_transit.html

There are some decent transit alternative routes on the link i just posted. It is not necassary to live IN Toronto to go to York. Any bus that avoids the 401 will generally be pretty reliable. The 407 Express Go Bus is a great route.

There are also VIVA routes that could allow you to live in the Vaughn area. (As a Torontonian, the viva is usually laughed at, but its not really a bad transportation route.)

Also, You can expand your options of anywhere on the bloor line really, as York university is quite accesible from Downsview station.

Unfortunately, a car is still the quickets and most convenient transportation method.

For sure I know it's not necessary to live in Toronto to go to York. I had been searching around on the internet, many places outside of Toronto (Vaughan, Mississauga etc.) look kind of crappy. I need my room to be furnished because I don't have any furniture.
Was this helpful? Yes 0