yconic - Is this enough to get into McGill in April?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is this enough to get into McGill in April?

A photo of slader23 slader23
Just wondering if what I have will be enough to get me into McGill in the next few weeks

These are what my midterm marks should be as there in at my school later on today( It's after midnight..) ( I have spoken to all my teachers)

Calculus 87
English 91
World issues 97
Exercise Science 98
AP World History 93
International Business Fundamentals 86 ( took this gr.12 course in gr.11)

Overall 92.0%
Depending on how accurate these marks are it could be 91.8% as well
So what do you think?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
hey!
i'm in the same boat as you with about the same top 6 % average, though my mid terms are april 27 so I expect i'll receive news in mid may... T_T
anyways, I hope you get accepted in April, cause that gives me hope too xD! if not, there's still may!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
You might barely make it in. Last year cutoff was 91.5% or something, but the cutoff has been raised every year. You would probably need to keep a 92% to be safe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Actually the cutoff was 91% last year however, it is more likely that they will reduce the cutoff other than have it raised.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@slader23 wrote
Actually the cutoff was 91% last year however, it is more likely that they will reduce the cutoff other than have it raised.

Why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think you got a fair chance. Your average is on the lower end for the school but that doesn't necessarily mean you won't get in. Just the guys with 95+ will obviously get in before you
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Lol those guys already got in....my friend with an average of 94.6 at my school got in during early march.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NerdmobileDriver NerdmobileDriver

@Daruki35 wrote

@slader23 wrote

Why?

+1, why do you think it'll be lowered? :scratch:

I think you've got a shot, but I'd say it's almost 30/70 between April and May because you're so close to the cutoff.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@NerdmobileDriver wrote

@Daruki35 wrote

@slader23 wrote

Why?

+1, why do you think it'll be lowered? :scratch:

I think you've got a shot, but I'd say it's almost 30/70 between April and May because you're so close to the cutoff.

Yea but my school is sending the in midterm marks earlier than most schools...so having that few weeks advantage should help... also I think 1% should get me into the middle or lower end of the April admissions as anyone with 94+ has been accepted so admissions should be rolling by now....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NerdmobileDriver NerdmobileDriver
You haven't answered why you think the cutoff will likely be lowered rather than raised.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well I think the cutoff will be lowered rather than raised mostly on the fact that if it were to go any higher there wouldn't really be much justification as other premier business programs..better ones like Queens BComm do not have such an emphasis on that standard as they require essays and look at things like community service in other words well rounded individuals...therefore it is highly unlikely they will raise it plus realistically would a school known as a great school for medicine have a higher cutoff in its business program? anyways we will see next year...what the average is I think it will probably stay the same to be honest....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well I think the cutoff will be lowered rather than raised mostly on the fact that if it were to go any higher there wouldn't really be much justification as other premier business programs..better ones like Queens BComm do not have such an emphasis on that standard as they require essays and look at things like community service in other words well rounded individuals...therefore it is highly unlikely they will raise it plus realistically would a school known as a great school for medicine have a higher cutoff in its business program? anyways we will see next year...what the average is I think it will probably stay the same to be honest....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
Judging by the trends, our year is a rather "tough" year. I wouldn't bank on the average lowering, instead it should remain at the same level, if not rise a little.

OP, To be on the safe side, I'd say try and work towards raising your average 0.5-1%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Serendipity wrote
Judging by the trends, our year is a rather "tough" year. I wouldn't bank on the average lowering, instead it should remain at the same level, if not rise a little.

OP, To be on the safe side, I'd say try and work towards raising your average 0.5-1%.

to late lool my marks are already in....:!: do you think the fact that my school will have my marks transmitted to McGill by early next week will hasten my acceptance because realistically not too many schools will have their midterm marks in......?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danselikeme danselikeme
dont know if this helps but... my friend just got in. she had an av of low 90's. soo if you have 90's you should be okay? (low-mid)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you now what her mark was exactly? just want to make it a little more clear.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BSchoolMaster BSchoolMaster
Last year, I got in with
96,95,94,94,94,83 -> 96,95,94,83 were grade 12 marks, 94, 94 were grade 11 marks.

I know some kids in the program who got in with 91 though.. so unless they raised that, you should be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@danselikeme wrote
dont know if this helps but... my friend just got in. she had an av of low 90's. soo if you have 90's you should be okay? (low-mid)

That gives me a lot of hope! ;)
Can you please find out what her exact average was?
Was this helpful? Yes 0