yconic - Is this too harsh?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is this too harsh?

A photo of brady23 brady23
I have a period 2 chemistry class. A student was sick during a test. She came the next day and at the end of period 2, told the teacher she missed the test. She had a parent's note. And another one missed the test because of he had some legal obligations since he is an immigrant and had to talk to his lawyer.

The teacher told both of them they could not write the test because they did not come in the morning, they told her during period 2.

If they did have an excuse, it's not like they would be ready to write the test even if they came in the morning, so why does it matter?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
well clearly these two students are noobs or you're not giving us the full story here
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ohseedee Ohseedee
From what you posted, yes, this teacher seems to have reacted harshly. I personally would have talked to the teacher before class started, but I think she should have accepted their excuses regardless. Maybe the teacher thought that they had taken the missed day & next day's 1st period to study, giving them an edge over the students who took the test on the correct date? Just a thought.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If the students receive a zero for the test, than yes the teacher reacted harshly. In fact, I would speak to the principal about it, especially for the lawyer case. If they received a no-mark, than they should not do anything about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Victorinox Victorinox
Definitely not harsh, especially the sick student scenario. At our school, the chem test dates are all given to you at the beginning of the school year. If one were to miss a test due to sickness, a parents note would not be sufficient, you would need a doctors note. Same thing for the math tests.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DOV94 DOV94
From what I'm understanding, yes, this is pretty harsh. The teacher has to understand that these are unforseen circumstances. And besides, it's not like you can just show up early and be like "ok I'm gonna write the test now". Unless your school works differently, you're supposed to arrange a make-up test with your teacher, THEN come in early and do it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@fxoqxc wrote

@DOV94 wrote
From what I'm understanding, yes, this is pretty harsh. The teacher has to understand that these are unforseen circumstances. And besides, it's not like you can just show up early and be like "ok I'm gonna write the test now". Unless your school works differently, you're supposed to arrange a make-up test with your teacher, THEN come in early and do it.

teacher probably got sick of people faking sickness to have more time to study for tests/ask friends for questions/etc

so many people in my school pull that kind of bullcrap and it irritates me so props to that teacher lol

But what if the student really was sick, they never did this for the last three tests. You could go to the doctor, but if you were sick with a fever, wouldn't it be more efficient to rest in bed, then go to the doctor just to get a note?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@DOV94 wrote

Exactly. The student probably wouldn't have wrote the test that day anyways, so why does it matter that they came an hour later to talk to you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@Victorinox wrote
Definitely not harsh, especially the sick student scenario. At our school, the chem test dates are all given to you at the beginning of the school year. If one were to miss a test due to sickness, a parents note would not be sufficient, you would need a doctors note. Same thing for the math tests.

So if you have a fever for one or two days or the stomach flu or food poisoning, instead of resting which is what the doctor will tell you to do, you're going to waste 2 hours to get a doctor's note?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ZFero wrote
If the students receive a zero for the test, than yes the teacher reacted harshly. In fact, I would speak to the principal about it, especially for the lawyer case. If they received a no-mark, than they should not do anything about it.

Yeah, it was totally unforseen, and the students were doing bad anyways, not letting them write the test was the difference between failing and passing for one of them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Ohseedee wrote
From what you posted, yes, this teacher seems to have reacted harshly. I personally would have talked to the teacher before class started, but I think she should have accepted their excuses regardless. Maybe the teacher thought that they had taken the missed day & next day's 1st period to study, giving them an edge over the students who took the test on the correct date? Just a thought.

Exactly. I don't think the teacher wants the student vomitting during the test and the lawyer incident was just unfortunate.

It wasn't like a student who says they had a funeral that they knew about for 14 days and never told the teacher about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
For a lawyer appointment, they would've know about it ahead of time. They should've gone to the teacher about it BEFORE the test.

As for the illness, if the teacher's policy is that they want a phone call in the morning BEFORE the test, then that's the policy. There's no way around it. There are systems in place we have to work around - let's please not give people undue credit and grant them things they don't deserve.
Was this helpful? Yes 0