yconic - Is UFT as difficult and competitive as people say it is?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Is UFT as difficult and competitive as people say it is?

A photo of TheGirl TheGirl
Hi everyone!

I was thinking about which university would be right for me.

I have a lot of options.

I have read about UFT and it seems like the perfect match for me.

Just one problem: apparently it has a negative fame for not accepting people.

I would deeply appreciate if people can voice their personal opinions on this topic.

Thanks!

Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of kraken kraken
First of all: U of T. There is no UFT.

Second: It's not that hard to get into.

Third: Not sure how hard it is to do well in compared to other universities as it's the only one I've ever attended.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoorKnob22 DoorKnob22
As the person said before not hard to get in. In the sense that most of the acceptance averages are lower than most universities, however you must take into account what your competition is.

Arguably unrealistic scenario, they want mid 80 averages, you have high 80, but majority applying for that program are low 90s, who do you think they will take?

I've heard plenty of things about cutthroat competition and extremem difficulty.

TL;DR Not hard to get in, what's important is surviving and enjoying yourself while doing so.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CYYZ24ILS CYYZ24ILS
Arts and Science isn't particularly stringent on accepting students. Engineering and Commerce are much more demanding.

Needless to say, if you have money, UofT will love you
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
every uni is difficult....every uni is competitive...maybe U of T a bit more. But you gotta expect that with the international students and the cut-offs being pretty high. I've also heard that the bell-curving is pretty ridiculous. But im sure if you work hard u'll do fine.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Trarod Trarod

@TheGirl wrote

Just one problem: apparently it has a negative fame for not accepting people.

That really depends on the program. An 85 average should be good enough for any program at U of T, other than Engineering and Business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Yes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DylanDay DylanDay
Your first step is to get the name of the university right, that might help a tad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of MattUK MattUK
It's pretty deadly, at least in first year.
They accept a lot, but they try to get rid of the lowest rungs as quickly as possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of petarpoparacrni petarpoparacrni
If you are barely accepted then I suggest being very diligent in your studies as:

A) This aint Kansas anymore. They can and will flunk you (I'm pretty sure you need over a 60 to pass)
B) You or your parents are paying close to 10K a year. It's a huge waste of money if you don't get the most out of this.
C) Do your homework. Now that you are independent and don't have to be bothered with over homework you may feel the urge to not do the homework. I'm saying this once. You will regret it.

BTW enjoy yourself :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0