yconic - is UTSG a good choice if I'm not planning on going to med school?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

is UTSG a good choice if I'm not planning on going to med school?

A photo of jellybeanrow jellybeanrow
I realize these U of T threads have been done to death, but everybody who starts these topics seems to have these dreams of becoming a doctor. I don't have any of these med school dreams, and I haven't found another thread with this particular situation.

I'm really interested in U of T's bioethics program specifically, which is the only undergrad program of its kind in the country. I'd want to combine that with another major, possibly genetics, so that I could also pursue sciences, since I really enjoy them, and still graduate with a BSc. I'm also just in love with the city of Toronto in general.

I realize that it's a difficult school and that my grades will probably drop quite a bit, but if going to UTSG really such an awful idea if I'm not hellbent on a 4.0 GPA? Is it really such a horrible undergrad experience, if getting lower grades won't make or break my future career plans?

I realize this might be difficult to answer, but if anybody could help at all it would really be appreciated. Thank you in advance :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of kraken kraken
U of T is pretty cool in some ways. Do it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think I would enjoy the city and the program, it's just everyone seems to have such negative experiences. Is this really just because they're so competitive with each other for marks though? I feel like all that's holding me back from choosing U of T is the "horrible undergrad experience" that people rant about.

If you don't mind my asking what have your experiences been like?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm a freshman at UTSG. My experience with it wholly positive so far. Of all my friends, the only ones who ever complain about excessive difficult and competition are the EngScis...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That's great to hear :) Are you in LifeSci?
Was this helpful? Yes 0