yconic - IT question
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

IT question

A photo of prodarkhunter prodarkhunter
Hi guys, I am new here.
For the past few years I wanted to pursue the accounting field knowing that the salary is always high and it is not that hard to find a job. In the past few months I started understanding that accounting is just plain boring and I don't think I will like it.
I always loved computers, and I am very knowledgeable in computers and electronics in general.
I had Computer science for the past 3 years (grade 10, 11, 12[not done 12 yet]) and always finished in high 80s and low 90s.
Now if I wanted to go into computer science I wouldn't be posting this thread.
So my question is, is IT different from computer science? The main reason I don't want to go into computer science is because I don't think I have the right skills to problem solve like a programmer, and I also don't want to sit in front of the computer for a living as well as have a lot of over time hours (or thats what I heard)
So my question is, what are the main differences between computer science and IT.
Also, which program am I supposed to take if I want to pursue the IT path (list as many as possible around Ontario)

Thanks in advance and sorry for long the post.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
IT is simple, hands on stuff. Maybe programming too.

Computer science is literally what it says: computer science. All the theoretical aspects of computing and computers.

If you want to pursue the IT path... either take computer science, or go to a college and pick on of their computer technician programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prodarkhunter prodarkhunter
So what you are saying is that the only way to pursue IT is through a computer science program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No that's the opposite of what I said.
Go to a college and take a computer technician or networking course or something.
Lots of ways of getting into IT. Look at your local college viewbook.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
What about the universities that offer Information Technology? Are they worth the trip? I checked and University of Toronto-Scarborough,York, and Ryerson all offer IT programs
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Friend of mine took computer science at Waterloo. His brother took MIT at Western. It's probably pretty alright. College gets you your diploma in 2 years though. If you're gonna go to university for computers and spend four years regardless, you may as well do computer science/computer engineering/software engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose
Hello prodark,

Glad you decided to leave behind a field you find boring. That's no way to live your life!

IT is totally different from computer science. Information Technology is every applied aspect of working with computers. As I mentioned in another thread, it's database and systems management; it's routing and networking; it's Windows system administration; it's working at a tech help desk; it's development. The field of IT is enormous, but a lot of it is applied. You only really need a college degree for it. Seneca in Toronto, for instance, is a pretty prestigious tech school, and that's all you'd need for a job in one of these fields. There can be a lot of hands on work in an IT career, or it could be a desk job. It's such a wide field that it's really hard to say.

Computer science, on the other hand, is a far more academic field (in theory). It's a lot of mathematics and study of algorithms, a lot of abstractions as opposed to applications. I think you ought to give the field a chance before you say you're not good at it (hard things are hard!), but if you're not interested in a desk job, that's totally understandable. I actually had a development job in the summer, and it was much less bad than I thought it would be.

So it's really up to you to research the fields further, and figure it out on your own. Success to you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted