yconic - It's Time To Apply To University?!?!?!?!?!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

It's Time To Apply To University?!?!?!?!?!

A photo of MyNameIsChris MyNameIsChris
I'm have a look at this link and I was hoping you could clear some things up: http://www.mcgill.ca/applying/standards/canada/

1) When it says "Admission Minima", does it mean that it is the bare minimum needed to get into the program? For example, for Arts (B.A), it says: 86.8% overall; 80% in each English or French course in Top 5. Does this mean that you won't even be considered if your average is less than 86.8%, or you get less than 80% in English or French?

2) And why is it top 5 anyways? I've heard top 6 and top 4. Does it vary depending on University?

3) In the above example, would the 86.8% be the average of the top 5 courses, or all of the courses?

4) Do I send my marks with my application? If not, when do I, and how do I know it's the right time?

5) Even if I don't plan on using a course to calculate my top 5 average, do I still have to send it to you?

6) I am from BC and have 4 courses this semester. French= 80%; Math= 86%, Biology= 86%, Chemistry= 95%. I have English next semester. For some fields it says I need at least 80% in each English or French course in top 5. Does this mean that at least one out of English and French has to be in my top 5?

7) From the above example, you can see that the 80% I have in French is dragging my mark down. Since it probably won't be in my top 5, does this mean I don't have to worry about it?

Thank you very much for your help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Joshki Joshki
1) ur correct, less than the minimum mark wont be even considered.
2) idk, it says students outside of quebec and ontario are calculated based on their top 5, guess you'll have to stick to that.
3) 86.8% overall, so you can have courses lower than that and courses higher than that.
4) You can send ur transcript, here in ontario, we just give mcgill our OUAC number, i suppose bc students have similar thing (bc university application centre or something like that, just give that number to mcgill)
5) You have to!
6) it has to be in your top 6 and cant be lower than 80, or else ur screwed.
7) If your using ur english mark, then dont worry about french.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
1) Yes I would guess that's what it means
2) The "Top 6" or "Top 5" will typically vary based on what province you're coming from. Most universities will have a special page for each province. Find the BC one
3) It would be the average of the top 5 courses
4) They will have instructions on the application about when and how
5) You send your whole high school transcript eventually, so they will see all your marks
6) Yes, any required course will automatically be in your top 5
7) Be happy you have at least satisfied the requirement for above 80% in French or English. If you do better in English, great
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MyNameIsChris MyNameIsChris
Thanks for the replies guys! I just don't know why they don't say "minimum" then. A few more things:

1) How does McGill mark? I heard somewhere that the way the University of Toronto marks isn't that that they give you a direct grade, but it is dependant on how well the rest of the class is doing. Is McGill like that too?

2) When do you apply for residence at McGill?

3) If anyone here is attending/will be attending/has attended McGill, which residence did you like the best?

4) Even if my French mark isn't in my top 5, if I finish with a mark below 80%, will it jeopardize my chances?

5) Does McGill ever look at your high school GPA? It matters because if they do, then all your marks are going to come into effect for determining that GPA.

6? Does McGill require you to write any entrance essays?

7) If they do, how many?

8) If they do, what are they supposed to be about?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
1) It might even depend on the prof. At my undergrad university some of the classes were curved (meaning the top 2% get an A+, next 2% get an A, next 5% get an A-, etc.) and some of the classes your percentage mark was converted to a grade. This is their grading policy: http://www.mcgill.ca/study/2010-2011/university-regulations-and-information/gi_grading_and_grade_point_averages which seems to indicate the latter
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@MyNameIsChris wrote
Thanks for the replies guys! I just don't know why they don't say "minimum" then. A few more things:

1) How does McGill mark? I heard somewhere that the way the University of Toronto marks isn't that that they give you a direct grade, but it is dependant on how well the rest of the class is doing. Is McGill like that too?

2) When do you apply for residence at McGill?

3) If anyone here is attending/will be attending/has attended McGill, which residence did you like the best?

4) Even if my French mark isn't in my top 5, if I finish with a mark below 80%, will it jeopardize my chances?

5) Does McGill ever look at your high school GPA? It matters because if they do, then all your marks are going to come into effect for determining that GPA.

6? Does McGill require you to write any entrance essays?

7) If they do, how many?

8) If they do, what are they supposed to be about?

1) What ktel said
2) After you get accepted I believe
3) I like RVC and New, RVC because of its location and New because it's...new
4) Well if your school teaches in English, than no. If it teaches in french, yes
5) What do you mean? What else would they base your acceptance on?
6) No
7) 0
8) Nothing
:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0