yconic - Ivey and their reputation
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ivey and their reputation

A photo of mxfire mxfire
Do you feel that Ivey's plan to expand to almost 650 students (within the next 3 years) will have a negative effect on its reputation in the long run? I'm deciding between Queen's and Ivey and this is the only thing keeping me back from accepting my AEO offer.

I would really appreciate your input and please try to keep the hate to a minimum.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of joeyzs2 joeyzs2
While it may not have an effect on your learning (they said they've capped the sections at 75 students), they will have a higher number of graduates from Ivey. You can only speculate what this means for job placement.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mxfire mxfire

@joeyzs2 wrote
While it may not have an effect on your learning (they said they've capped the sections at 75 students), they will have a higher number of graduates from Ivey. You can only speculate what this means for job placement.

Thats basically what I'm pointing towards. The sections will remain the same (75 students), however, the graduating class is going to be almost double what it used to be around 5 years ago. I'm not sure if this will have any effect on the recruiters and their perception on students coming out with a HBA degree from Ivey.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slowwy Slowwy

@mxfire wrote

@joeyzs2 wrote

Thats basically what I'm pointing towards. The sections will remain the same (75 students), however, the graduating class is going to be almost double what it used to be around 5 years ago. I'm not sure if this will have any effect on the recruiters and their perception on students coming out with a HBA degree from Ivey.

The quality of education stays the same. So why would recruiters have any change of perceptions?....That's my opinion.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joeyzs2 joeyzs2

@Slowwy wrote

@mxfire wrote

@joeyzs2 wrote

The quality of education stays the same. So why would recruiters have any change of perceptions?....That's my opinion.

Completely agree. I don't believe their perception will change but you'll just have to work hard to stand out. Don't forget that although there will be many grads, Ivey has a larger alumni network than Queen's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mxfire mxfire

@Slowwy wrote

@mxfire wrote

@joeyzs2 wrote

That's what I'm thinking. However, I also think that the big 3 (Ivey, Queen's, Schulich)have gained part of their reputation due to their highly selective admission process. Accepting more applicants would sort of bring down their admission standards, or so I would assume.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PaperPen PaperPen

@mxfire wrote

@Slowwy wrote

@mxfire wrote

@joeyzs2 wrote

That's what I'm thinking. However, I also think that the big 3 (Ivey, Queen's, Schulich)have gained part of their reputation due to their highly selective admission process. Accepting more applicants would sort of bring down their admission standards, or so I would assume.

Due to their reputation, they already have more than enough qualified applicants for their program. Accepting more applicants can also give more deserving students a chance at the high quality of education offered. I don't think it drops the admissions standards at all. Also, Queen's does this thing where anyone over 87% is regarded as equal, and then the PSE is graded to determine entrance. Ivey places special emphasis on extracurriculars. Its's not just marks, it's the extracurriculars too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kdesjardins kdesjardins
I, like you, was very skeptical of this whole "prospect on growth". But an Ivey professor convinced me otherwise.

Apparently Some businesses refused to visit Ivey because of its "inconvenient" location (particularly US recruiters) and because of the school's small size, recruiters found it not worthy to visit Ivey. Limiting the target appeal to some companies like "Goldman Sachs".

Since the beginning of the growth of the HBA and MBA programs, career management has seen an increase in the number of recruiters on campus and confirms that employment standards and numbers have remained the same.

She also mentioned that Ivey has not lowered their admissions standards but rather is seeking more out-of-province and international student candidates.

If you are interested more you can read this report:
http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/discover/annual-report/archives/2008/index.htm

I think what is important to understand is that Ivey probably has their best interests in the students, and would not seek to jeopardize the quality of education that the students receive. They obviously know what they are doing.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Ivey can say whatever it wants, but at the end of the day, we're in high school and we can see what kind of people are getting AEO - A LOT of lower-tier subpar students (Some with lower marks and some who had good marks but made up all their EC's) and a lot of them will squeeze into HBA.

Now this won't affect your opportunities because as long as you're the top, you're the top and opportunities will be plenty.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mxfire mxfire

@immaculatedx wrote
Ivey can say whatever it wants, but at the end of the day, we're in high school and we can see what kind of people are getting AEO - A LOT of lower-tier subpar students (Some with lower marks and some who had good marks but made up all their EC's) and a lot of them will squeeze into HBA.

Now this won't affect your opportunities because as long as you're the top, you're the top and opportunities will be plenty.

I didn't want to really say this, as I really can't judge their essays and EC's, but it is something I noticed. Thus why I sort of hinted at the admission process :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Of course you can't judge fully, but my school got 22 AEO acceptances last year and around 20 this year. For the people who went, barely any of them are rockstars or anything.

Ivey HBA 3rd year transfer is still a possibility for those debating between programs. 1/3 of the HBAs are non-AEO.

Besides missing out on some legendary UWO parties and chicks, it's not all that bad. In fact I'd argue youre unique experience elsewhere would not only help you but the fact that you had to apply again to Ivey would make you want to succeed so much more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara
You know that Queens is expanding this year too right?
From 375 to about 450.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JulianA JulianA
The amount of students being accepted this year may have increased but that really doesn't make a difference in terms of acceptance standards because the amount of applicants has also increased. In fact HBA admissions reported that they had the most applicants this year than any other year. Besides its pretty obvious that this increase in students is being facilitated by the new Ivey building and is probably the reason for the increase in demand as well.If supply increases but demand increases as well acceptance standards should't change.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of foreveryoung foreveryoung
I was honestly worried about the EXACT same thing.
The other day I sat down to talk to one of my dad's friends (who is the VP of a pretty big insurance company), and he has personally recruited from Ivey before. He told me that the increased class size really doesn't change his perception much because the quality of education should remain constant, assuming that Ivey finds more appropriate and suitable profs to continue the same standard they currently have.
so yeah :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0