Ivey HBA 2012 Graduate
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ivey HBA 2012 Graduate

A photo of iveyhba iveyhba
Hi All, <br> <br>So about 5 years ago I was sitting in your exact position on this forum. I successfully applied to Ivey, Queens, Schulich and Laurier. Now I&#39;m an Ivey graduate about 8 months removed and I have a relatively cushy job at a top-tier consulting firm. <br> <br>Anyways, I figured I could help you guys out with the process. Sure you can reach out to the career departments of your respective schools but its hard to get and answer from them without a little bias in there. So if you guys have any questions about applications, Ivey, Western,careers, or general university stuff, just ask. <br> <br>For you super-keeners out there I don&#39;t mind taking a quick look at your applications and gaging your chances of getting in. I can&#39;t guarantee you admission but I&#39;m more than happy to provide some brutal honesty. <br> <br>Anyways, if any of you are skeptical about my credentials hopefully I can change your mind through my answers. If not I&#39;ll post some proof later on if you guys have any doubts about my legitimacy. <br> <br> <br>Fire away.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
38 replies

A photo of Sgrey Sgrey
Why did you pick Ivey? Also how are we supposed to send you applications to take a look at?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MariahM MariahM
Hi there :)
I PM'd you
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MariahM wrote
Hi there :)
I PM'd you

I saw. If you don't mind I'm going to answer them right here. I'll leave the personal stuff you put on there out of it.

Heres what I got:

Hi there, just wanted to say in advance thank you so much for creating a post like this, Im sure everyone will be extremely grateful!!

I have a host of questions, so I decided to PM you I hope that is okay.

First off, I am currently in my second year at UTSG pursuing a double major in economics and psychology

1) In first year I only took 4 credits, and completed 1 credit in the summer. This year however, I am taking a full course load (5 credits), how much will this affect my academic challenge rating? I also have a personal reason as to why I only completed 4 courses.
2) Do they look at the amount of courses you completed per year, or per semester? For example in first year I completed 4 credits but took 3 courses in first semester and 5 courses in the second. Also this year I will have completed 5 credits by the end of the year, but I took 4 courses in the first semester and am taking 6 in the second.
2) Two required courses that I have to take are first year (the first half of bus2257 and the pre-requisite for taking the second half of bus2257) , will this lower my academic challenge rating even further even though I have to take theses courses?
3) So far my first year average is 84.5. I project my second year average to be (80-85), will this make up for my low academic challenge rating?
4) Were you an AEO student? What was the average you were accepted with? What 3 extra-curriculars did you list on your application?
5) If you are not going into the field of investment banking or consulting, what other kinds of jobs are available? Is it worth it to come to Ivey to pursue accounting? Out of all the jobs at Ivey which jobs are considered the most and least competitive?
6) Do you know of anyone who is struggling to get a job at Ivey?
7) Approximately how many hours of work did you put in per day to prepare your cases for the next class?
8) Do you get cold called a lot, even if you are speaking up?
9) If it's not to personal, what is the approximate salary you make as a consultant.

1)You should be ok. Ivey prefers that you have a full course load through the full year but as long as you come in with 10 credits it shouldn't make much of a difference. I've never heard of anyone penalized for this.

2)Bus 2257 should not lower your average. Its not hard material. I personally know some of the 2257 teachers and they are all former Ivey students. Make sure to talk a lot during class and bring up interesting points to differentiate yourself.

3)Yes it will. If you ask me their whole academic challenge thing is a load of BS. They used to tell that to us too but I took courses like into to astronomy to boost up my average and they sure never held it against me.

4)Yes I was. I had an 84 when I got accepted. For extracurriculars I was president of a club, played on a sports team, and was a rep in another organization. Pretty standard stuff.

5)Yes it is very much worth it to come to Ivey. Ibanking and consulting get all the glamor but theyre not for everyone. Consultants travel and work a lot and Ibankers work insane hours. Ivey is good for everything including marketing and accounting simply because the career management over here is amazing. They actually spend more on career management at Ivey than all of Western does combined.

6)Struggling after graduation? No. I mean I'm sure theres the exception to the rule but no one I know personally. I'd say pretty much everyone has a job right now and those that don't seriously dont want one (some people took extended world trips after school).

7) Probably about 4-5 hours per day in first year. A lot less once I already had a full time job locked up.

8) No, I've seen it happen but its rare. In Ivey, especially in first year, theres usually so many hands up that the teacher has to do the opposite and avoid calling certain people. If you don't participate in Ivey you won't do well. Its a big portion of your marks.

9) I make 75k + 30% bonus.

Also I'll respond to your specific application via PM.

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Sgrey wrote
Why did you pick Ivey? Also how are we supposed to send you applications to take a look at?

I thought it would give me the best shot at landing a good job after graduation. I was right. The profs are the best I've ever had, the career support is amazing and the level of students you have to compete with on a day to day basis really brings the best out of you. Seriously the best decision I ever made.

PM me if you want me to look at your application. I'll send you my email.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@iveyhba wrote

6)Struggling after graduation? No. I mean I'm sure theres the exception to the rule but no one I know personally. I'd say pretty much everyone has a job right now and those that don't seriously dont want one (some people took extended world trips after school).

Can you elaborate on this a bit further? What do you mean by "struggling after graduation"? Is there a difference between that and struggling now? You would know more than me, but I feel like there's still a bunch of HBA2s without full-time recruiting and I'm under the impression that the time for full-time offers has passed.

Also, can you compare Ivey's consulting opportunities to that of Queen's?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iknowthatfeel iknowthatfeel
As a current HBA2 student I'd like to get in on this. If anyone has any questions for me or wants a more negative perspective (I would not choose Ivey if I could go back in time), feel free to ask me. I'll play devil's advocate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BuckinFuffalo BuckinFuffalo

@iknowthatfeel wrote
As a current HBA2 student I'd like to get in on this. If anyone has any questions for me or wants a more negative perspective (I would not choose Ivey if I could go back in time), feel free to ask me. I'll play devil's advocate.

Here's the obvious first question: why wouldn't you choose Ivey again?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JR24 JR24
Hi there,

Thanks for doing this. I have these questions regarding Ivey HBA

1) How did you differentiate yourself from your peers, particularly your first semester of HBA 1? Don't you feel that the first 3 months of Ivey in some sense can determine your whole career (leads to junior SA-->ft offer)?

2)How are each sections bell-curved? What is the bell-curve avg and approx. how many people get above 83% (cut-off avg for some OCR firms)?

3)In general, what faculty do the best Ivey candidates come from (first 2 years)?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iknowthatfeel iknowthatfeel

@BuckinFuffalo wrote

@iknowthatfeel wrote

First off, there's a few commonly known things about Ivey that I think you guys in high school discount way too much when making a decision on what biz school to go to:

- the case method: cases are a great way to learn but, in conjunction with lectures and readings (like how universities have been doing it for hundreds of years...). However, Ivey is all about its image. "Ivey" is a brand name and if recruiters were to find out (heaven forbid) that they were teaching us through some lectures to supplement the cases--despite the fact that it produced a better end result, the student--it would dilute their brand name and would place the 2+2 program on shaky ground. There would be nothing left to differentiate us from a Queens or Schulich grad who has a solid 4 years of lecture style learning vs. our 2 years. Basically what I'm saying is, some questionable teaching occurs just for the sake of maintaining a brand name. For example, the HBA1s just had their operations grade pulled from midyear transcripts because of hundreds of student complaints that they don't have a clue what is going on and are going to fail the exam.

- the 80% average bell curve: while the bell curve is necessary because Ivey low balls everything when marking and underestimates how hard the exams are that they give us (management science and operations have apparently been belled up from <50% before), it otherwise fu|cks everything else up. You want to study with your class friends for an exam? Better make sure you don't help anybody too much or else they could ruin the bell for you. In fact, give them wrong answers and advice. This is the reality of what bell curving a class to a consistent 80% does. Part of this isn't Ivey's fault since the recruiter's from things such as investment banking and consulting want consistency across applicant grading criteria so that they can screen them easier. Regardless, it can become very irritating as you can imagine.

- in-class contribution: I could rant about this one for fu|cking ages. The contribution system, overall, is a joke. Like the bell curve it is a necessary evil of the way this school operates (ie. the case method) but, nonetheless is a joke. However, this is not to say that class discussion is bad. Class discussion is 100% needed to make the case method work. I honestly think class discussion is great. I saw a lot of people in my HBA1 section open up and develop into better leaders, speakers, thinkers, and just overall better people because of how Ivey forces you to think critically throughout class and put your ideas/thinking out there to be critiqued. HOWEVER, contribution is often worth 40-50% of your final grade and, despite what any Ivey profs will tell you, is not marked based on the quality of your contribution. Basically what ends up happening is whatever idiot in your class is the most sociable and talkative OR makes the prof LAUGH gets the highest mark. These people often add nothing to the class conversation... and at Ivey, (a lot of nothing) * (10 per class) = +90%. I know this probably sound great to you guys, like woohoooo 50% of my grade based on saying sh|t in class, Ivey is tooooo easy. Well ya, after spending a bit of time here you'd see what I mean (they even have a anonymous help line email for you to complain about people who give worthless contribution this happens so much). Also, you'd be surprised how ungratifying it is to get a 90% back on contribution knowing full well you did nothing to deserve it.

- 24 hour and 48 hour group reports: be prepared for another 30 to 50% of your grade to come out of the Ivey black box of marking on this one. There is a running joke that Ivey uses a random number generator with a normal distribution with a mean of 80% and standard deviation of 10% to assign grades for these projects. Also be prepared to want to kill everything if you get a bad group.

- investment banking and consulting: this whole fu|cking school is designed to please the recruiters at GS, MS, CS, bain, BCG blah blah blah. I did the whole investment banking thing too, and I still hate how geared this school is towards it.

- 2+2 Structure: many of you ask if the 2+2 structure is a waste. Yes, yes it is. My advice is to do a dual degree, don’t waste 2 years of your life in something (especially if you like it) because Ivey thinks your abundance of knowledge from introductory courses in years 1 and 2 will further their needs for quality case discussion (it won’t).

Anyways, I could go on for hours. On a more general note, if you decide to go to Ivey, come at the very least with a general idea of a type of job you’d like to have during the summer between years 3 and 4. Ivey will throw you into recruiting and you’ll have no fu|cking clue what’s going on because you just came out of some political science faculty or something and haven’t even heard the word recruiting before. You’ll be expected to be w-horing yourself out to BB/MM bank directors and consultants at info sessions within 2 months of arriving, might as well be ready for it.

Cliff Notes: Go to Queens
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@onlymatthew wrote

@iveyhba wrote

Can you elaborate on this a bit further? What do you mean by "struggling after graduation"? Is there a difference between that and struggling now? You would know more than me, but I feel like there's still a bunch of HBA2s without full-time recruiting and I'm under the impression that the time for full-time offers has passed.

Also, can you compare Ivey's consulting opportunities to that of Queen's?

Theres a big differentiation here between those that get employed during "recruiting season" which happens during school, and those that get jobs outside of school. The ones that get employed through school usually have jobs locked in by december of their graduating years (probably about 1/3 or slightly more), whereas the rest of the kids spend the rest of the year and sometimes into the summer looking through opportunities outside of school. All I'm saying is right now as of December 2012 virtually everyone I know has a job.

Queens has alumni in all the firms so its comparable but I think Ivey would best them in terms of sheer number of alumni employed. Also, one of the firms I got an offer from didn't even recruit at Queens so theres that to consider as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iknowthatfeel wrote

Feel free to join
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@JR24 wrote
Hi there,

1) How did you differentiate yourself from your peers, particularly your first semester of HBA 1? Don't you feel that the first 3 months of Ivey in some sense can determine your whole career (leads to junior SA-->ft offer)?

2)How are each sections bell-curved? What is the bell-curve avg and approx. how many people get above 83% (cut-off avg for some OCR firms)?

3)In general, what faculty do the best Ivey candidates come from (first 2 years)?

1) Participate, a lot. But more importantly make sure that when you do your answer is well thought out and coherent.

If you want to do consulting/ibanking then yes the first four months of Ivey are pretty vital for your career. You need the marks to get the interviews and if your lucky enough to get an internship, your almost guaranteed a FT offer unless your a complete f*ck up.

2) First year of Ivey is bell curved to an 80 with a super low standard deviation. Half get over 80, half get below but most are within 2-3%. I think 25% of people get over 83. Highest mark I ever got was an 88.

Also second year is curved slightly higher to about an 82. This is to make sure kids get into mba programs.

3) Thats really hard to say, lots of great teachers. Suprisingly though, I think some of the Entreprenurial profs come in with some really great backgrounds. Not really my cup of tea but its cool when your teachers are enormously successful outside of the typical routes people take.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iknowthatfeel wrote

@BuckinFuffalo wrote

@iknowthatfeel wrote

First off, there's a few commonly known things about Ivey that I think you guys in high school discount way too much when making a decision on what biz school to go to:

- the case method: cases are a great way to learn but, in conjunction with lectures and readings (like how universities have been doing it for hundreds of years...). However, Ivey is all about its image. "Ivey" is a brand name and if recruiters were to find out (heaven forbid) that they were teaching us through some lectures to supplement the cases--despite the fact that it produced a better end result, the student--it would dilute their brand name and would place the 2+2 program on shaky ground. There would be nothing left to differentiate us from a Queens or Schulich grad who has a solid 4 years of lecture style learning vs. our 2 years. Basically what I'm saying is, some questionable teaching occurs just for the sake of maintaining a brand name. For example, the HBA1s just had their operations grade pulled from midyear transcripts because of hundreds of student complaints that they don't have a clue what is going on and are going to fail the exam.

- the 80% average bell curve: while the bell curve is necessary because Ivey low balls everything when marking and underestimates how hard the exams are that they give us (management science and operations have apparently been belled up from <50% before), it otherwise fu|cks everything else up. You want to study with your class friends for an exam? Better make sure you don't help anybody too much or else they could ruin the bell for you. In fact, give them wrong answers and advice. This is the reality of what bell curving a class to a consistent 80% does. Part of this isn't Ivey's fault since the recruiter's from things such as investment banking and consulting want consistency across applicant grading criteria so that they can screen them easier. Regardless, it can become very irritating as you can imagine.

- in-class contribution: I could rant about this one for fu|cking ages. The contribution system, overall, is a joke. Like the bell curve it is a necessary evil of the way this school operates (ie. the case method) but, nonetheless is a joke. However, this is not to say that class discussion is bad. Class discussion is 100% needed to make the case method work. I honestly think class discussion is great. I saw a lot of people in my HBA1 section open up and develop into better leaders, speakers, thinkers, and just overall better people because of how Ivey forces you to think critically throughout class and put your ideas/thinking out there to be critiqued. HOWEVER, contribution is often worth 40-50% of your final grade and, despite what any Ivey profs will tell you, is not marked based on the quality of your contribution. Basically what ends up happening is whatever idiot in your class is the most sociable and talkative OR makes the prof LAUGH gets the highest mark. These people often add nothing to the class conversation... and at Ivey, (a lot of nothing) * (10 per class) = +90%. I know this probably sound great to you guys, like woohoooo 50% of my grade based on saying sh|t in class, Ivey is tooooo easy. Well ya, after spending a bit of time here you'd see what I mean (they even have a anonymous help line email for you to complain about people who give worthless contribution this happens so much). Also, you'd be surprised how ungratifying it is to get a 90% back on contribution knowing full well you did nothing to deserve it.

- 24 hour and 48 hour group reports: be prepared for another 30 to 50% of your grade to come out of the Ivey black box of marking on this one. There is a running joke that Ivey uses a random number generator with a normal distribution with a mean of 80% and standard deviation of 10% to assign grades for these projects. Also be prepared to want to kill everything if you get a bad group.

- investment banking and consulting: this whole fu|cking school is designed to please the recruiters at GS, MS, CS, bain, BCG blah blah blah. I did the whole investment banking thing too, and I still hate how geared this school is towards it.

- 2+2 Structure: many of you ask if the 2+2 structure is a waste. Yes, yes it is. My advice is to do a dual degree, don’t waste 2 years of your life in something (especially if you like it) because Ivey thinks your abundance of knowledge from introductory courses in years 1 and 2 will further their needs for quality case discussion (it won’t).

Anyways, I could go on for hours. On a more general note, if you decide to go to Ivey, come at the very least with a general idea of a type of job you’d like to have during the summer between years 3 and 4. Ivey will throw you into recruiting and you’ll have no fu|cking clue what’s going on because you just came out of some political science faculty or something and haven’t even heard the word recruiting before. You’ll be expected to be w-horing yourself out to BB/MM bank directors and consultants at info sessions within 2 months of arriving, might as well be ready for it.

Ok fair play not everyone has a positive HBA experience. I disagree with your point about the teaching method. Ivey's course load is basically equal to 3 years of regular university. I have never seen a kid out in the real world suffer or be ridiculed for being unprepared due to the method of teaching. Usually, its quite the opposite.

In-class contribution really depends on your prof. I had only one bad experience where I thought I was marked unfairly, but I kind of let it go and that teacher doesn't seem to be around anymore. In my experience all but one of my profs gave unbiased contribution feedback.

I also too hate how geared it is to consulting and ibanking. And they are not all that people think they are. (This is coming from a consultant).

I also agree with you on the group assignment part, it down right sucks. Your mark is almost random and its based on your group. I remember one night for accounting we hadn't even started with 12 hours to go. I had to tell my whole group to take a hike and I finished the damn thing myself. The thing is though, this is representative of what your gonna face in real life. Yes it screws you over short term, but it lets you know what your gonna face. I've had experiences where I've had to pick up the slack in my job and its exactly the same. Pointing fingers doesn't help in the slightest. People will build a reputation eventually and its up to you to build your own.

Again, Ivey is a crazy experience and isn't for absolutely everyone. Also, I'll get to your PMs ASAP, got a lot in my inbox.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of JR24 JR24

@iveyhba wrote

@JR24 wrote
Hi there,

1) Participate, a lot. But more importantly make sure that when you do your answer is well thought out and coherent.

If you want to do consulting/ibanking then yes the first four months of Ivey are pretty vital for your career. You need the marks to get the interviews and if your lucky enough to get an internship, your almost guaranteed a FT offer unless your a complete f*ck up.

2) First year of Ivey is bell curved to an 80 with a super low standard deviation. Half get over 80, half get below but most are within 2-3%. I think 25% of people get over 83. Highest mark I ever got was an 88.

Also second year is curved slightly higher to about an 82. This is to make sure kids get into mba programs.

3) Thats really hard to say, lots of great teachers. Suprisingly though, I think some of the Entreprenurial profs come in with some really great backgrounds. Not really my cup of tea but its cool when your teachers are enormously successful outside of the typical routes people take.

Thanks for the advice. Other than participating and contributing in class a lot, are there any ways to prepare for HBA1 ahead of time? I feel like if I underperform the first 4 months of HBA1 all of my efforts (past and future) won't amount to much....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JR24 JR24

@GracieHumaita wrote

@iknowthatfeel wrote

Our 2nd year Marketing II course (mandatory), the professor last year ran a =randbetween() to pull up the grades for our final grade. When students got impossibly low grades, they went in to see their final exam.... they were unmarked and untouched lol.

Ironically, this course was 100% case based, and the professor (tenured), graduated from Ivey, and was an instructor there for a while. You can't avoid the Ivey even when you're at Queen's. :(

This prof is actually a spy from Ivey Career Management. He is sent to Queens to lower all of your GPAs so AEO2 can have a better shot at internships to balance out the lack of career support AEOs get
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of serena87 serena87
Were you an AEO student?
What was your average and ECs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zyzz Zyzz
My Application:
ECs:
-reffing hockey (5 years, also helped train younger officials and won several awards)
-Red Cross Club Executive Event Coordinator
-Hockey (12 years, captain of team several years, we won tournaments and won the championship twice, shows teamwork, leadership, and achievement)

Part time job at sport chek

Top 4 (BC) average after first term- 90.75%, will increase it for second term
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Topiary Topiary

@Zyzz wrote
My Application:
ECs:
-reffing hockey (5 years, also helped train younger officials and won several awards)
-Hockey (12 years, captain of team several years, we won tournaments and won the championship twice, shows teamwork, leadership, and achievement)

50/50
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@JR24 wrote

@iveyhba wrote

@JR24 wrote
Hi there,

Thanks for the advice. Other than participating and contributing in class a lot, are there any ways to prepare for HBA1 ahead of time? I feel like if I underperform the first 4 months of HBA1 all of my efforts (past and future) won't amount to much....

Unfortunately, not really. I would stay up to date with whats going on in the business world in general, that way you have a lot of points of reference for what you're learning in class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@serena87 wrote
Were you an AEO student?
What was your average and ECs?

Yes.

My highschool average was 92. My main EC was being the president of a club, other ECs I had were mostly sports related.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Topiary wrote

@Zyzz wrote
My Application:
ECs:

50/50

A lot will hinge on how you frame your application. You have to really make your ECs stand out and show your leadership qualities. PM if you want some more personal advice.

I'll get back to most of your PMs tonight, I fly out of town early tomorrow so It might be about 24 hours before I can get back to you guys again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vancouver44 Vancouver44
Hey what do you think my chances are?

As of term 1 (lets imagine the marks stay the same)

Law- 94
Economics- 94
English- 91
Pre Calc- 86

Average 91.25

ECs

Humanitarian trip to Dominican Republic- lots of leadership, teamwork ect
Hockey ref and Baseball ump for 5 years
Hockey and baseball player for 10 years
Dishwasher/ cook for 1 year
Counsellor at Outdoorschool- BC thing, kinda like a weeklong summer camp, except through school, lots of leadership, teamwork ect
Leader at a daycamp for 2 weeks
Ski team and golf team for a couple years
student council and international ambassador at school

Thanks a lot for doing this
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IveyHBARecruiting IveyHBARecruiting
Hi there,

It's always nice to see current Ivey students helping out prospective students and providing them with additional feedback. I just wanted to introduce myself as well if anyone had any further questions. My name is Alan Neal and I am a 2012 HBA Graduate from the dual degree program with science. I am currently one of the recruiters for the HBA program therefore am responsible for being a main point of contact for high school students looking to move into the program. It's great to see so much interest in the program. If you are interested in clearing up any of the rumors, or just want more specific questions answered on the program or application process, as both a graduate of the program and someone now involved with the program, I can be quite useful. I'm sure I would be able to help with any concerns, issues or questions you have. Feel free to send me an email at aneal@ivey.ca, or give me a call at 519-661-2111 ext 88538. If you're in the area, you can always drop by my office in the old Ivey Building rm 2G18 to have a sit down chat.

Cheers,

Alan
Was this helpful? Yes 0