yconic - Ivey HBA Transfer chances
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ivey HBA Transfer chances

A photo of hbatransfer hbatransfer
I was just wondering if there is a known ACTUAL cutoff to transfer into the HBA after 2 years of university. I already completed 1 year and am expecting an average over 85% in a BBA degree with good EC's. I was considering transferring next year, what are the chances?

I had a friend with a 90 avg rejected as transfer (maybe bcz of EC's) so I wanted to hear if any HBA students or ppl with AEO knew the cutoff for ppl without AEO.

I heard its 33% non-AEO, so with the increased class size, thats like 200 students (I heard class size is now 600 =S) I tried to look up some numbers for transfer admits, but couldnt.

any help would be great =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of masonuwo masonuwo
From all of the similar questions I myself have asked.. the answers are usually the same..

Each year is different and each application is different depending on many many things.

I would check out a few things:

- The Official Ivey Recruiting thread on here
- http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/discover/annual-report/index.htm This is the Ivey annual report that has all the stats from last years HBA class
- The Ivey web page in general--lots of information there including student profiles (one of which being a transfer student)
- If you have twitter you can ask @iveybusiness for help on anything (also do that on the Official Ivey thread--very helpful!)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Oh wow, congrats on getting in as a non-AEO.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks masonuwo, i didn't think the annual report would hold that info - it seemed like a place to put the balance sheets. lol

so it seems like only 10% are non western students... were u one of those? is there any stats on non-western applicants chances?

the other thread definitely has a a lot of answers for my questions, thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@hbatransfer wrote
Thanks masonuwo, i didn't think the annual report would hold that info - it seemed like a place to put the balance sheets. lol

so it seems like only 10% are non western students... were u one of those? is there any stats on non-western applicants chances?

the other thread definitely has a a lot of answers for my questions, thanks!

As far as facts go, Ivey likes to generalize in saying that APPROXIMATELY 2/3 of the class are AEO, and the other 1/3 are non-AEO (Western students and Transfer students). As you saw in the Annual Report from last year, it was 68% AEO, 22% non-AEO (this is my category) and the 10% Transfer students. That's my knowledge on the facts side of things.

As for what I've overheard and been told (this is not based on any legitimate Ivey sources), I hear that the class sizes are growing year by year, and also the number of AEOs are also growing. Ivey likes the fact that students make a committment to them from high school and that's why such a privilage is given to them. They also like Western students too, however that doesn't mean there isn't room for transfer students. If the number of AEOs grow, I am guessing the number of transfer students will fall more than Western students--and they will only accept VERY impressive applications.

The most unfortunate thing is that there is no solid way of telling anyone their "chances" of being accepted because it depends on so many things. Next year could be a very easy or an insanely hard year to get accepted. I guess if you compare the annual reports you can look for a trend? Other than that you just need to make sure you have a very competitive application. I've talked to transfer students who have done some pretty impressive things.. but on the other hand I've talked to some that were no more impressive than an average non-AEO applicant who also got accepted.

It's a strange strange process and I drove myself crazy trying to figure it all out! :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
i was at guelph bcomm coop and i got into ivey and queens commerce but since i wanna do CA i chose queens:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

msonuwo- thanks! Congrats on your acceptance. I noticed thee same things through the annual reports, and well i have a similar co-op background as agabriel with a little higher marks,so i hope that it evens out with the ECs etc.

agabriel - congrats on the acceptance and hope you enjoy queens! how involved were you with ECs apart from your co-op? i think ivey takes this into consideration!

Do you guys know what is the EARLIEST that ivey accepts non-western/non AEO transfer students? I was hoping to know that since if it is after April then I will have to enroll in summer courses (in case I am not accepted, i will have to continue my regular program)...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@hbatransfer wrote
msonuwo- thanks! Congrats on your acceptance. I noticed thee same things through the annual reports, and well i have a similar co-op background as agabriel with a little higher marks,so i hope that it evens out with the ECs etc.

Do you guys know what is the EARLIEST that ivey accepts non-western/non AEO transfer students? I was hoping to know that since if it is after April then I will have to enroll in summer courses (in case I am not accepted, i will have to continue my regular program)...

Thanks for the congrats :) I hope everything works out for you!

..as for the timing, all I can tell you is that transfer students in some cases are given conditional offers well in advance--likely for reasons such as the one you just mentioned. I would talk to an Ivey rep from admissions to know for sure because each application is treated differently.

I've talked to many transfer students who were given conditional acceptances halfway through the school year! ..and some that didn't get acceptances until early July!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of baller7 baller7
Hey Darren! I said hi to Brent for you! Guess what, his cousins goes to the same high school I attended..haha.

Anyway, during my SAO day, they said that AEO is a marketing gimmick....they do that so us students attend Western instead of another university. Is this true? Where are you getting that 68% are AEO and the remaining are non-AEO?

I didn't want to apply for AEO if I had the same chance if I applied in my 3rd year...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@baller7 wrote
Hey Darren! I said hi to Brent for you! Guess what, his cousins goes to the same high school I attended..haha.

Anyway, during my SAO day, they said that AEO is a marketing gimmick....they do that so us students attend Western instead of another university. Is this true? Where are you getting that 68% are AEO and the remaining are non-AEO?

I didn't want to apply for AEO if I had the same chance if I applied in my 3rd year...

The stats show that approximately 2/3 of the HBA classes are composed of AEOs and 1/3 of non AEOs. Around 80% of AEOs get their 80% average (But not all of them choose to go to Ivey).

It's definitely harder to get into Ivey if you're a non-AEO as they give preference first to of course the AEOs and then to the AEOs who did not make the 80% requirement. With that being said, if you're a toptier student, I don't think getting into Ivey HBA will be too difficult.

And, whether you believe AEO is a marketing gimmick or not in terms of admissions, there are significant advantages of attending UWO AEO in years 1 and 2 if you plan on going to Ivey.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
The stats show that approximately 2/3 of the HBA classes are composed of AEOs and 1/3 of non AEOs. Around 80% of AEOs get their 80% average (But not all of them choose to go to Ivey).

It's definitely harder to get into Ivey if you're a non-AEO as they give preference first to of course the AEOs and then to the AEOs who did not make the 80% requirement. With that being said, if you're a toptier student, I don't think getting into Ivey HBA will be too difficult.

And, whether you believe AEO is a marketing gimmick or not in terms of admissions, there are significant advantages of attending UWO AEO in years 1 and 2 if you plan on going to Ivey.

+1 to that for sure!

AEO is basically a free pass through the admissions process.. even if you did NOT keep your 80% average.. you still have an advantage over non-AEO applicants. The more AEO's there are the higher the bar is set for transfer students and Western non-AEO's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of johndoe12345 johndoe12345
1. There is no actual cutoff, besides the arbitrary 80% needed to be considered. Anything over 80% passes the test, and you're judged based on leadership, commitment, and program rigor. More rigorous programs, such as engineering, may get a break under individual circumstances.

2. There is a cutoff for Ivey scholarships. Usually around 90%. Once you meet the cutoff, you're once again judged by the same parameters. Where you spent your previous two years does not matter.

3. There are about 520 people in HBA1, about 70 of them are non-UWO transfers.

4. Not having AEO status puts you at no disadvantage whatsoever. If your average is above 85% and you have proven yourself, you will get in. AEO provides a safety blanket when you're on the lower end of the stick, I guess. They may turn down a transfer with 80% and decent ECs, but they're less likely to turn down an AEO with the same stats.

5. Earliest transfer acceptance this year was in the beginning of April. AEO acceptances came later.

6. If you do not achieve 80% as AEO, you have advantage only over those who did not achieve 80% and are not AEO. Under no circumstances are you more likely to get in, without meeting the cutoff, than someone from another university who has met the cutoff and has more impressive credentials.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vince1266 vince1266
Anyone on this thread/forum who applied for a transfer actually got in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of johndoe12345 johndoe12345

@vince1266 wrote
Anyone on this thread/forum who applied for a transfer actually got in?

Yes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0