yconic - Ivey HBA1 (3rd year) student - ask GOOD questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ivey HBA1 (3rd year) student - ask GOOD questions

A photo of technobus technobus
Hey guys,

Been some time since I was in your position roaming studentawards. Even the site's changed.
Straight up, I had a really tough time choosing what I wanted to do with my life.
Ended up applying to completely different programs and got into everything from UofT engsci, waterloo eng, sciences everywhere and of course Ivey AEO.

Obviously I'm an HBA1 now but the process is very rigorous and self-selecting for the same reason. It takes a lot of careful planning, research and commitment to get to HBA from grade 12. Having an AEO is great but the caliber of students in HBA reflects only the ones that truly deserve it. My point? It's a crazy journey but in the end, it's more than worth the effort. You learn unbelievable amounts in 1 semester and everything is applicable to the real world. All your peers are ambitious and have at least 2 years in another field (people know and respect those who came from eng, science, history, etc).

In terms of getting a sweet job? Ivey is in its own league in terms of recruitment, particularly for the hard-to-break-into fields like investment banking and consulting. Just compare placement reports.

Okay, enough selling. We want only the best to make it and I'm giving up some time to answer any decent questions that can't be found with a simple google search.

Good luck class of 2016.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of IgorMcBeaver IgorMcBeaver
Ok 2 Questions...

1) How much does HBA cost per year? I hear it is $20,000.

2) I'm currently in Grade 12, and my average is roughly 82%. I know there is no chance of AEO, but how hard do I have to work to get into HBA from the Business Program at UWO?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TegtheCoolDude TegtheCoolDude
DUDE! thats amazing!

#1) What was your average in grade 12? that you got into ivey and all the science programs

#2) Do you think I'll get AEO if I pull my top 6 to an 89%

#3) IS there anything that I have to fill in now to tell Western/Ivey that I want to do a double degree?

It would be really nice if you could answer them! :D Thanks a lot man <3
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Redprince Redprince
Hi, I really want go to Richard Ivey for a dual degree in civil engineering and HBA. But, I am having second thoughts because in order for me to keep my AEO i have to maintain an 80% avg for the two years which makes it very risky compared to like Shulich where you have to maintain a 60% avg.

So, based on your personal experiences, is it easy or really hard to maintain an 80% avg?

And, for the long-run is it worth it going for a HBA compared to other business schools?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@TegtheCoolDude wrote
DUDE! thats amazing!

#1) What was your average in grade 12? that you got into ivey and all the science programs

#3) IS there anything that I have to fill in now to tell Western/Ivey that I want to do a double degree?

It would be really nice if you could answer them! :D Thanks a lot man <3

1) 94.5
2) It's possible with an 89%. You'll need to have great leadership experience and put time into writing the application. If you really want in, make the commitment.
3) Not sure on that but to my knowledge, no. Just apply to AEO and a regular UWO program. Ivey AEO is a separate process. Contact HBA office for more info.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Redprince wrote
Hi, I really want go to Richard Ivey for a dual degree in civil engineering and HBA. But, I am having second thoughts because in order for me to keep my AEO i have to maintain an 80% avg for the two years which makes it very risky compared to like Shulich where you have to maintain a 60% avg.

So, based on your personal experiences, is it easy or really hard to maintain an 80% avg?

And, for the long-run is it worth it going for a HBA compared to other business schools?

Engineering/HBA is probably the most useful combination you can get in a Canadian undergrad. Engineers in my class are pretty brilliant and usually do really well because HBAs analytical focus parallels what engineers learn.

As for maintaining 80% for 2 years - no biggie. If you're actually smart, do the work and passionate about getting into Ivey, you'll be just fine. It's the people that aren't motivated or slipped by in high school taking soft courses that have issues progressing.

In the long-run, hell yes. HBA opens so many doors, especially in North America where the alumni have an amazing presence. Heck, banks in California recruit exclusively at Ivey for Canadian hiring because Ivey has performed so well in the past. You learn solid fundamentals, not through memorizing but constant practice making decisions through analysis. If you look up what grads have done with their lives from Ivey... you'll be impressed.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sherrybloosm sherrybloosm

@TegtheCoolDude wrote

You can get AEO with a 87+ average. The difficult part is not getting AEO status, it's keeping the conditions of AEO.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Redprince Redprince
Thx for answering my questions but I have one more,

By looking at the description I assume that you are doing an Ivey dual degree in Engineering and HBA.

My question, is that how are you suppose to survive if you haven't taken other engineering related courses? For instance, i have only taken physics and chemistry, but, first year is general engineering.

So, how am I suppose to excel at courses such as software engineering and computer engineering in university?, if I haven't taken it in high school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Redprince wrote
Thx for answering my questions but I have one more,

By looking at the description I assume that you are doing an Ivey dual degree in Engineering and HBA.

My question, is that how are you suppose to survive if you haven't taken other engineering related courses? For instance, i have only taken physics and chemistry, but, first year is general engineering.

So, how am I suppose to excel at courses such as software engineering and computer engineering in university?, if I haven't taken it in high school.

Actually, no I didn't do engineering but wish I did. This should make me less biased.

The answer is an important one. You don't need to have the exact prior knowledge to do well in a subject. If you learned software/computer engineering in hs before university - what's the point of university? What you need is a solid foundation in maths and physics. If you have the foundation, you should be able to apply the principles to new topics.

The same goes for entering HBA. Myself and others who didn't do BMOS or economics prior to HBA felt disadvantaged compared to our business savvy peers. However, Ivey is completely different than any business program so as time goes on, people who can learn quickly and really think will stand out.

So, don't worry about not having computer engineering courses in hs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TruthfulTruist TruthfulTruist
Hi technobus,

What was your major prior to HBA?

Also, I know Ivey is known for its opportunities in Finance/Consulting. How are the opportunities in other fields, like operations and marketing? How does Ivey specifically prepare you for fields.

You are an HBA1 and first semester is over. Do you have any particular idea of what direction of business you want to go in? (ie finance, marketing). When does job recruitment begin? How are you planning to prepare? How does Ivey help you in that aspect?

You also applied to EngSci amongst Ivey HBA. What influenced your decision to go into business? Did you consider other commerce programs? Why Ivey?

Regards
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nith1231 nith1231
Hi Technobus,

I have a question about HBA from a transfer student perspective,currently i am in my firsts semester at another university;

i wanted to know what the cut-off average is for transfer students from other universities? i understand it says 80+ on the admissions website, but i wanted a personal opinion on standards uwo looks for in transfer students.

How much emphasis is there on math? do they look at high school math marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@TruthfulTruist wrote
Hi technobus,

What was your major prior to HBA?

Also, I know Ivey is known for its opportunities in Finance/Consulting. How are the opportunities in other fields, like operations and marketing? How does Ivey specifically prepare you for fields.

You are an HBA1 and first semester is over. Do you have any particular idea of what direction of business you want to go in? (ie finance, marketing). When does job recruitment begin? How are you planning to prepare? How does Ivey help you in that aspect?

You also applied to EngSci amongst Ivey HBA. What influenced your decision to go into business? Did you consider other commerce programs? Why Ivey?

Regards

Ivey is great for all business fields. The only reason people tout consulting/finance is because it's very difficult to get into unless your school is a "target". For Ivey, this means BCG, McKinsey, Goldman, Moelis, Morgan Stanley, etc all come on campus to recruit. We also place the highest amount of people in such firms. It's actually pretty unfair how Ivey is treated special but if you're in, it's great.

Marketing/Ops is good as well. You'll see the same multi-nationals like P&G, Kraft, GE etc recruiting. From a learning perspective, marketing and ops were awesome courses and I really enjoyed the cases. If you want to pursue either fields, you'll be more than fine.

Recruiting is just like the HBA program itself - intensely competitive. Those who do well and want it bad will get interviews. After that, it's up to the interview to decide offers. Job recruitment begins in January/Feb. You prepare by networking, research, etc.
Ivey has their famed career management system that helps you with whatever you need, if you can get an appointment.

I always wanted Ivey. I cared less about other schools because the people I knew who got in Ivey were the best of the best. These guys were amazing and I wanted in. I knew I would like cases... lectures suck. I wanted the best quality education that would push me to my limits and expand my capacity. Asides from US programs, Ivey is only one that matched what I wanted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@nith1231 wrote
Hi Technobus,

I have a question about HBA from a transfer student perspective,currently i am in my firsts semester at another university;

i wanted to know what the cut-off average is for transfer students from other universities? i understand it says 80+ on the admissions website, but i wanted a personal opinion on standards uwo looks for in transfer students.

How much emphasis is there on math? do they look at high school math marks?

Cut off is 80%. Don't know any transfers below 80%. Most of the transfers this year came surprisingly from Schulich. If you come from weaker programs, have better marks.

HBA first semester is very quant heavy. Analytics is important but math is basic.
They require you to have taken grade 12 math and if not, you'll need university math courses. Ask them about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kimnguyen Kimnguyen
Hi,
I have question:
If 1st+2nd: BMOS and AEOs status. Which one of 2 following ways is correct? Please provide an explanation.Thank you!
(A): 3rd+4th: BMOS and Ivey1,2
5th (optional) if you want to do dual degree --> continue BMOS
(B): 3rd+4th: Ivey1,2
5th (optional) if you want to do dual degree --> continue BMOS
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greatwallpaul greatwallpaul
Have you seen anybody lose AEO status, if so can it be attributed to their work habits like I've been told?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dimethylamylamine dimethylamylamine

@technobus wrote
Hey guys,

Been some time since I was in your position roaming studentawards. Even the site's changed.
Straight up, I had a really tough time choosing what I wanted to do with my life.
Ended up applying to completely different programs and got into everything from UofT engsci, waterloo eng, sciences everywhere and of course Ivey AEO.

Obviously I'm an HBA1 now but the process is very rigorous and self-selecting for the same reason. It takes a lot of careful planning, research and commitment to get to HBA from grade 12. Having an AEO is great but the caliber of students in HBA reflects only the ones that truly deserve it. My point? It's a crazy journey but in the end, it's more than worth the effort. You learn unbelievable amounts in 1 semester and everything is applicable to the real world. All your peers are ambitious and have at least 2 years in another field (people know and respect those who came from eng, science, history, etc).

In terms of getting a sweet job? Ivey is in its own league in terms of recruitment, particularly for the hard-to-break-into fields like investment banking and consulting. Just compare placement reports.

Okay, enough selling. We want only the best to make it and I'm giving up some time to answer any decent questions that can't be found with a simple google search.

Good luck class of 2016.

How's the culture at Ivey? I am a transfer hopeful from another top tier school (Schulich/Queen's/McGill/Sauder), and one of the reasons I am looking to transfer is because of the inherent douchebaggery engrained in everybody's soul here. Are there cliques within the HBA program (AEOs vs transfers, elite p-school graduates vs. public school graduates, Asians vs. whites, etc)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Topiary Topiary
Any of your friends or someone you know not get AEO status with a 95+ average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0