yconic - Ivey internship questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ivey internship questions

A photo of DaToTochen DaToTochen
I have a question about Ivey. For the first two years, since you are not in the Ivey HBA program, how good are your internship prospects? Can you get any good internships at all?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Ivey career services won't be able to help you at all. You'd have to use Western career services so you'd be on a level playing field in years 1 and 2. You'll have the Ivey AEO name to leverage though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
Ivey career services won't be able to help you at all. You'd have to use Western career services so you'd be on a level playing field in years 1 and 2. You'll have the Ivey AEO name to leverage though.

So for the first 2 years it will be hard to get an internship? how much does the AEO name help you in comparison to "regular" western students?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Its up to you how you can use the AEO name. I can't tell you much because I'm in the same position as you really.

With strong networking, skills and etc. I don't think it would be too hard to find a relevant summer internship.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
It doesn't matter where you go, getting internships in your first two years is extremely hard and rare, and any positions you may get will NOT be for your business knowledge but for your perseverance, drive, and enthusiasm for relevant experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IveyRecruiting2011 IveyRecruiting2011
Although we don't offer full Career Management services to students with AEO status, we still invite you to some exclusive AEO events including a talk about how to search for summer jobs with one of our CM advisers. We also organize summer chat sessions with HBAs to talk about their summer experiences.

On top of all that, Western has a great team for their career office, they have their own career postings, host job fairs as well as resume editing sessions. Definitely a great help and start to your career search.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote
It doesn't matter where you go, getting internships in your first two years is extremely hard and rare, and any positions you may get will NOT be for your business knowledge but for your perseverance, drive, and enthusiasm for relevant experience.

How hard is it overall to get internships in your first 2 years?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
I got a buddy in first year at Queen's Commerce who got an internship with First National in first year. Nothing's impossible. Just try hard and network well :).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@IanSharer wrote

+ 1

You will essentially be useless. They will use you for menial tasks, pay you minimum wage, and in exchange will teach you/show you how to do some things. Then you put it on your resume. They will hope you will work for them later when you are a wildly successful Ivey grad, but ultimately you will turn them down for greener pastures.
Was this helpful? Yes 0