yconic - Ivey people! read here!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ivey people! read here!

A photo of KangJules KangJules
Hello, so basically my decision has been set. I chose to go to Ottawa U Telfer school of management Finance next year. Also, my future plan has been set as well; I am aiming to transfer into HBA third year student after one year of study in Ottawa.

I'm pretty sure I will be able to handle the grades and obtain high 80's but I'm facing a pretty difficult challenge in terms of EC.

Ivey weights EC a lot right? Well i'm currently a student from Quebec and if I go to ottawa that means I only have one year to obtain as much EC as possible... The problem is that one year doesn't show any consistency, perseverance and dedication. What should I do?

Is there any particular clubs/community or any common EC activity that could help me solve this problem (show dedication, uniqueness, consistency, etc in a single year) or am I stuck? :/

Edit: If you've been accepted to Ivey or if you are currently attending Ivey, could you write down your ECs and grades? Thanks a lot!

Also, if you're planning to go to HBA through AEO or not:

What are your current/future plans in terms of EC acvities?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Augustus1 Augustus1
How are you going to transfer to Ivey (third year) after only one year of study at Ottawa? Wouldn't you need to do two years at Ottawa, and apply for transfer during second year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Augustus1 wrote
How are you going to transfer to Ivey (third year) after only one year of study at Ottawa? Wouldn't you need to do two years at Ottawa, and apply for transfer during second year?

In quebec, we do 2 years of cegep (post secondary school) which is equivalent to one year in university. I am admitted as a second year student in telfer
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
well because you will only have 1 yr uni, they will probably look at your highschool/cegep ECs as well (im sure your not the first cegep student to ever apply there). so maybe continue with things in the same line of what you've done so far. also business clubs such as DECA would be a good start -especially if you go to competitions and do well :D some volunteering to show social awareness would be good.

-find positions that show initiative, leadership;
-quality over diversity (200 hrs in one activity as opposed to 20 in 10 activities)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Windsongs4 wrote
well because you will only have 1 yr uni, they will probably look at your highschool/cegep ECs as well (im sure your not the first cegep student to ever apply there). so maybe continue with things in the same line of what you've done so far. also business clubs such as DECA would be a good start -especially if you go to competitions and do well :D some volunteering to show social awareness would be good.

-quality over diversity (200 hrs in one activity as opposed to 20 in 10 activities)

I do have EC in CEGEP but transfering to ottawa U cuts me right off. I'll have 2 years of EC in CEGEP and one year of EC in ottawa as opposed to other students that has 5+ years, now that's true dedication.

I'm planning to maximize my EX with 4 clubs in Ottawa and try getting an exec position in all of them. That would make around only 5 hours in each club per week as opposed to 20 hours of one club per week. I know you said quality of quantity but wouldn't 4 exec position make me look much better than 1 exec position in a single club?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4

@KangJules wrote

@Windsongs4 wrote

I do have EC in CEGEP but transfering to ottawa U cuts me right off. I'll have 2 years of EC in CEGEP and one year of EC in ottawa as opposed to other students that has 5+ years, now that's true dedication.

I'm planning to maximize my EX with 4 clubs in Ottawa and try getting an exec position in all of them. That would make around only 5 hours in each club per week as opposed to 20 hours of one club per week. I know you said quality of quantity but wouldn't 4 exec position make me look much better than 1 exec position in a single club?

Again dont worry about the "cegep is screwing me over" thing. ivey will know how to handle it -they also answered your question on the HBA recruiting thread; you should check it out :)

And your ECs sound great! having 4 exec positions will take lots of time and won't be easy to achieve, but if you can do it it'll be awesome!
Was this helpful? Yes 0