yconic - Ivey, Queens, McGill, Shulich - at what level of American university?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ivey, Queens, McGill, Shulich - at what level of American university?

A photo of Business1234 Business1234
hearing these universities, how does one compare to american university?

i myself have applied to all programs and is most likely going to queens, but hearing my freinds accepted into colgate, upenn, columbia, usd, etc.. makes me feel unworthy

however i would like to point out, that the students attending colgate, usd, etc(not elite ivey leagues, but small iveys) grades are not as high as mine. They are probably at the low 90s, mid-high 80s, but because my school counsellor will inflate grades, and write very good recommendation letters.

so what are ur thoughts? Mcgill, ivey, etc. = what kind of american university?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
It's very hard to compare these schools.

Queen's/Ivey/McGill, in my opinion, are much more worth it than colgate and usd, especially if you are sure about heading into business.
Penn (especially Wharton), and Columbia are a different story though.

Things would also change if you are looking at the university as a whole, or just it's business program/prospects.

You will likely end up with around the same salary after graduating, and US schools for us are (normally) more expensive. It's no doubt you would also get a great job and many great opportunities at each school despite having highly different experiences over the 4 years. I guess it comes down, once again, to a matter of personal preference and fit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu

@Business1234 wrote
hearing these universities, how does one compare to american university?

i myself have applied to all programs and is most likely going to queens, but hearing my freinds accepted into colgate, upenn, columbia, usd, etc.. makes me feel unworthy

however i would like to point out, that the students attending colgate, usd, etc(not elite ivey leagues, but small iveys) grades are not as high as mine. They are probably at the low 90s, mid-high 80s, but because my school counsellor will inflate grades, and write very good recommendation letters.

so what are ur thoughts? Mcgill, ivey, etc. = what kind of american university?

I'd think these universities would probably be equal if not better academically... but when it comes to reputation... of course americans are more famous... (although Canadian universities are now getting more and more recognition worldwide)

And... to get into high reputation schools, it not only about the grades (in fact sometimes grade don't matter that much). It's about extra-curricular and sports... For example 1 person in my school is going to Brown and another went to Harvard last year... they had like what, mid-80s? (Yes, I'm talking about the ivy league schools)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jzliu wrote

And... to get into high reputation schools, it not only about the grades (in fact sometimes grade don't matter that much). It's about extra-curricular and sports... For example 1 person in my school is going to Brown and another went to Harvard last year... they had like what, mid-80s? (Yes, I'm talking about the ivy league schools)

They must have had pretty impressive extra-curriculars!
Canadian unis are also starting to focus less on grades.

PS: thanks for not misspelling "ivy" :thumright
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CityBoy CityBoy
^ No effing way they got into Brown or Harvard with an 85. The lowest average I ever heard that got into Harvard was 93 and I know this person. She had the most extracurricular out of any one in Canada and I'm willing to bet on that. She turned down TD Canada Scholarship, Loran Nationals and got a full tuition scholarship to Harvard. She was really smart, but not like genius.

Edit: Oh crap are you talking about from American school to Brown or Harvard.. oh sorry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu

@Alizarin wrote

@jzliu wrote

They must have had pretty impressive extra-curriculars!
Canadian unis are also starting to focus less on grades.

PS: thanks for not misspelling "ivy" :thumright

one of them was on the junior national hockey team and won some huge north american tournament... the other I think got casted for a tv show...

and I'm talking about getting accepted (well not accepted... the ivy schools were fighting for them) from a Canadian high school...

PS: haha... thanks :P
PSS: american universities (or colleges as they call it) add on up to 10% to Canadian high school students because our education system is more "challenging"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CityBoy wrote
^ No effing way they got into Brown or Harvard with an 85. The lowest average I ever heard that got into Harvard was 93 and I know this person. She had the most extracurricular out of any one in Canada and I'm willing to bet on that. She turned down TD Canada Scholarship, Loran Nationals and got a full tuition scholarship to Harvard. She was really smart, but not like genius.

Edit: Oh crap are you talking about from American school to Brown or Harvard.. oh sorry.

Hmm I think jzliu meant from a Canadian highschool..

Side note: full tuition scholarship at an Ivy is not merit-based and merely means that the student had significant financial need.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Illuminar Illuminar
I'd say they're similar to Michigan
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RobbieF RobbieF

@CityBoy wrote

Do your research. Programs that, for example, major in English only need sightly above average to get into Harvard. You need like an 83 to be accepted into a program like that. Keep in mind that he was talking about Harvard as a whole. If you're applying for law or medicine, it's a different story.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu

@RobbieF wrote

@CityBoy wrote

Do your research. Programs that, for example, major in English only need sightly above average to get into Harvard. You need like an 83 to be accepted into a program like that. Keep in mind that he was talking about Harvard as a whole. If you're applying for law or medicine, it's a different story.

oh they went in for their business program and law
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@RobbieF wrote

... what?

No. Just no. You apply to the entire college, which is extremely selective. You officially choose your concentration (major) after getting in.

And you can't apply to Law or Med school from secondary ...

Even for schools with undergrad biz like Penn, it is as or likely even more selective than the arts/sci college.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu

@Alizarin wrote

@RobbieF wrote

... what?

No. Just no. You apply to the entire college, which is extremely selective. You officially choose your concentration (major) after getting in.

And you can't apply to Law or Med school from secondary ...

Even for schools with undergrad biz like Penn, it is as or likely even more selective than the arts/sci college.

iono... ill ask her

i guessed the business part cus she said in grade 11 she was going into business..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jzliu wrote

iono... ill ask her

i guessed the business part cus she said in grade 11 she was going into business..

Definitely possible career goal, but she'll graduate with a liberal arts degree in Econ, or Math, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Harvard is pretty good. Brown is 2nd tier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Business1234 Business1234
lol why am i so worried about prestige in terms of international rankings :S

i always feel incompetent when comparing queen's commerce to like..NYU business..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Business1234 wrote
lol why am i so worried about prestige in terms of international rankings :S

i always feel incompetent when comparing queen's commerce to like..NYU business..

Why should you? Attending NYU Stern would cost over 55K a year total, much more than any top Canadian schools cost, and you would have to compete with the likes of Wharton and Harvard.

Unless your first priority is being in NYC or the US, NYU's not worth it imo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0