yconic - Ivey vs. AFM
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ivey vs. AFM

A photo of weewuu weewuu
Hey SA Forum! :D

My top two Uni choices are Ivey (received offer) and Waterloo’s AFM – FM (offers start mid-May). I’ve written the AMFAA last weekend and I’m confident that I will receive an offer to the AFM program. I’m currently conflicted as to which offer I should accept (should Waterloo choose to accept me), and it would be very helpful to me to know your opinions. The program I applied for at Western is BMOS.

I’m unsure about whether I want to study Finance or Accounting. I’m currently taking both courses right now and receiving the same mark. Personally, Accounting and I just “click.” The material seems all very straightforward and understandable. On the other hand, Finance is more interesting to me.

I’ve made a list of the pros of both programs below.

Ivey

- Better for Finance
- Case-study method
- Ivey reputation (alumni network, recruiters)
- Broader for business (solid foundation)
- Better Campus Life (in London, school spirit, beautiful campus, no geese xD)

AFM – FM

- COOP
- Better for Accounting (CA: MAcc for direct entrance to UFE)
- Cheaper
- Business courses start year 1
- More friends applying for AFM
- Closer to home by 1hr

I would really like to know your view on my difficult choice. Ivey vs. AFM? Finance vs. Accounting?

Thanks in advance! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of AdJan AdJan
It looks like you already made up your mind; Ivey.

Like you said you are taking both accounting and finance courses in high school and you find Finance more interesting and accounting more or less boring and tedious. However, even though accounting does get more analytic and challenging in university, from what you are saying I don't feel that you take a keen interest in it to pursue it for 5 years in AFM.

Let's get it straight, Ivey will give you better opportunities in finance than AFM. You also like Ivey's program broadness and Western's overall campus better. Unless you are specifically gunning for accounting 100%, AFM is probably not the best choice for you since its so specified. If you go to Ivey thinking all finance, but discover you don't like it anymore, you still have other areas to explore and learn about (if you want to get a CA designation, Ivey lets you pursue that as well).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Junction Junction

@weewuu wrote

My top two Uni choices are Ivey (received offer) and Waterloo’s AFM – FM (offers start mid-May). I’ve written the AMFAA last weekend and I’m confident that I will receive an offer to the AFM program. I’m currently conflicted as to which offer I should accept (should Waterloo choose to accept me), and it would be very helpful to me to know your opinions. The program I applied for at Western is BMOS.

I’m unsure about whether I want to study Finance or Accounting. I’m currently taking both courses right now and receiving the same mark. Personally, Accounting and I just “click.” The material seems all very straightforward and understandable. On the other hand, Finance is more interesting to me.

Ivey

- Better for Finance
- Case-study method

AFM – FM

- COOP
- Cheaper
- Closer to home by 1hr

I would really like to know your view on my difficult choice. Ivey vs. AFM? Finance vs. Accounting?

Under your predicament, I would reccomend going to AFM for the first two years, reassess your feelings about accounting and finance, and then decide whether or not to transfer to Ivey for 3rd/4th year.

The PROS of being in AFM for the first two years over another program for the first two years at Western:

1) new AFM curriculum, you take a lot more finance/accounting courses in first two years (prepares you well for Ivey when you enter it) - I believe after the first two years, you take 3 accounting courses + 3 finance courses, which is WAY more relevant than whatever you are taking in Western BMOS/Econ etc.

2) you get a Co-op term (REAL work experience) in 2nd year (winter term) - accounting jobs available + decent back office finance jobs (Let's be realistic, NO ONE gets front office jobs during first co-op term ever)

The experience will help build your resume when you enter Ivey, which can only help when you're applying for internships in 3rd year.

From what my friends who have applied to Ivey have told me, Ivey takes into consideration your 2B marks (spring term marks) as well, but double check with Ivey admissions to make sure you don't get screwed over cause your 2nd year, 2nd term marks won't be finalized until August. (I believe it's in their Q&A section, I was going to apply to Ivey)

3) If you decide accounting is more of your thing, you can just continue on with AFM and get all the benefits of skipping CKE/SOA + getting a masters degree in 8 months

The CONS of going to AFM first for two years:

1) You might have to re-apply to Ivey again, but I don't think it's that hard to get in (I know three friends that applied that all got in), the co-op experience helps with the application and marks are pretty fair/relatively easy to get at Waterloo, 85+ average is very feasible if you don't majorly slack and have decent studying skills.

2) PS. AFM is NOT cheaper tuition wise than Ivey. After first year, you're paying around 8-9 grand a TERM on tuition. Thus, your second year of AFM will be more expensive than a 2nd year at Western BMOs/Econ/etc. So the 2 years AFM option, then 2 years Ivey will cost around maybe an extra 10k compared to all 4 years at Western, ceteris paribus.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions about AFM.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman
You did apply to AFM's "Business and Finance" co-op option, so it's not like you're "accounting or nothing" at AFM.

There's a lot of finance courses in AFM, and you can double-specialize in accounting and finance too. There's some decent recruitment from the big banks, a couple pension funds, the big insurance companies, and a bunch of large companies, plus the government. Outside of that, you're on your own really. Ivey has better recruitment for finance, and a larger alumni network. They get recruitment from top US firms and companies all across Canada. That being said, remember in order to get the jobs you have to be at the top of your class. They are two uniquely different programs, although both very good. I'll just throw in that Waterloo has case studies integrated into many of the courses, and by the MAcc program everything almost exclusively case-study and case-exams. Not quite Ivey but it's far from void of the case-study method.

Compare the pros and cons for both schools. You have most of your cost/atmosphere/distance/etc. type pros/cons worked out, so all that's left is the more academic side of things. If you haven't already, talk to some more current students, and get all of your questions answered. Add that to your pros/cons list, decide which are most important, and make a decision. Best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Junction wrote

2) PS. AFM is NOT cheaper tuition wise than Ivey. After first year, you're paying around 8-9 grand a TERM on tuition. Thus, your second year of AFM will be more expensive than a 2nd year at Western BMOs/Econ/etc. So the 2 years AFM option, then 2 years Ivey will cost around maybe an extra 10k compared to all 4 years at Western, ceteris paribus.

I'm assuming they live in the area (since they said London is 1+ hours away) so they would save on residence/food costs if they went to Waterloo. That combined with the 2 years of Ivey being slightly more than AFM makes Waterloo the cheaper option. Also there's co-op earnings too.

I was going to mention the whole go to AFM then transfer to Ivey argument. It's a legitimate consideration imo. You can transfer into Ivey from AFM, but you won't be able to transfer from Western to AFM (unless you want to start in 1st year).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@Junction wrote

@weewuu wrote

Ivey

- Better for Finance
- Case-study method

AFM – FM

- COOP
- Cheaper
- Closer to home by 1hr

Under your predicament, I would reccomend going to AFM for the first two years, reassess your feelings about accounting and finance, and then decide whether or not to transfer to Ivey for 3rd/4th year.

The PROS of being in AFM for the first two years over another program for the first two years at Western:

1) new AFM curriculum, you take a lot more finance/accounting courses in first two years (prepares you well for Ivey when you enter it) - I believe after the first two years, you take 3 accounting courses + 3 finance courses, which is WAY more relevant than whatever you are taking in Western BMOS/Econ etc.

2) you get a Co-op term (REAL work experience) in 2nd year (winter term) - accounting jobs available + decent back office finance jobs (Let's be realistic, NO ONE gets front office jobs during first co-op term ever)

The experience will help build your resume when you enter Ivey, which can only help when you're applying for internships in 3rd year.

From what my friends who have applied to Ivey have told me, Ivey takes into consideration your 2B marks (spring term marks) as well, but double check with Ivey admissions to make sure you don't get screwed over cause your 2nd year, 2nd term marks won't be finalized until August. (I believe it's in their Q&A section, I was going to apply to Ivey)

3) If you decide accounting is more of your thing, you can just continue on with AFM and get all the benefits of skipping CKE/SOA + getting a masters degree in 8 months

1) You might have to re-apply to Ivey again, but I don't think it's that hard to get in (I know three friends that applied that all got in), the co-op experience helps with the application and marks are pretty fair/relatively easy to get at Waterloo, 85+ average is very feasible if you don't majorly slack and have decent studying skills.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions about AFM.

In regards to reapplying. Not having your 2B term puts you at a disadvantage because Ivey likes to see all your marks. With that being said, if you have good marks, it won't matter too much. This is what Ivey Reps have told me.

Good points on AFM tuition. A lot of people are mislead on that - AFM is facking expensive.

Also, theoretically going to a good program for the first 2 years and then transferring to Ivey is a decent idea. Generally though, people are too weak-willed to move schools after settling in. And, why not take advantage and have the time of your life for the first 2 years at UWO?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of weewuu weewuu
Thanks for the insight, everyone! You’ve given me a lot to think about. :D

I have thought about going to AFM for 2 years and then transferring to Ivey but I’m nervous that I might not get in again. This is because 2/3 of the spots in Ivey are reserved for students with AEO status. Availability is already decreasing. In addition, students from any university can apply in their second year. Another point is that, I’m actually surprised that I received AEO offer on the first day. I consider my ECs and average pretty mediocre relative to other Ivey applicants.

Some questions that I would like answered in a UW student’s POV include:

Classes

1. What are the average class sizes?
2. If someone has a question, do they raise their hand and ask it? Or do they go home and try to figure it out themselves? What happens if you can’t find the answer?
3. How do lectures work? Is there a PowerPoint for every lecture that you can download beforehand?
4. Do profs always come to class?
5. Are there still test/quizzes? Or just exams?
6. What do you need to after each lecture? Just review? Is there still assigned homework?
7. What are labs?
8. What are some other differences between high school classes and Uni classes/lectures?

Rez

1. If I am in the AFM program, it is mandatory that I live in V1? Or is it just recommended?
2. V1 has one large single-sex washroom for 14-16 students. Even with the daily housecleaning staff, does it get dirty? :/
3. How is the caf food? What are some off-campus restaurants that students typically go to?

Random

1. What are some exec positions I can apply for in terms of councils? For example, are there any year ones in the student committees for AFSA? (http://www.uwafsa.ca/?page_id=5921)
2. What does your typical day look like? :D
3. If you were trying to convince me to go to the AFM program, what would you say? xD

I didn’t realize I typed this much. TBH, I was just typing in whatever questions came to mind.
It would be great if I can have all of them answered though! ^ ^

Thank you, guys! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To give you my honest opinion, if you're worried you won't be able to get into Ivey again as a 2nd year applicant, I would encourage you to reassess if a career in finance is right for you.

Reality Check: Even at "elite" finance schools such as Queens/Ivey, not a whole lot of them get those coveted front office finance jobs that entice high school students into pursuing a career in finance.

Especially with the shaky economy, people landing i-banking/sales&trading jobs at the big banks are all but a handful (and they have top grades/top EC/top personalities).

In regards to all the questions you asked; I would recommend going onto campus, taking a tour that the UW Visitor's Center provide, and requesting to speak with someone in SAF to get them answered.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@weewuu wrote
Thanks for the insight, everyone! You’ve given me a lot to think about. :D

I have thought about going to AFM for 2 years and then transferring to Ivey but I’m nervous that I might not get in again. This is because 2/3 of the spots in Ivey are reserved for students with AEO status. Availability is already decreasing. In addition, students from any university can apply in their second year. Another point is that, I’m actually surprised that I received AEO offer on the first day. I consider my ECs and average pretty mediocre relative to other Ivey applicants.

Some questions that I would like answered in a UW student’s POV include:

Classes

1. What are the average class sizes?
2. If someone has a question, do they raise their hand and ask it? Or do they go home and try to figure it out themselves? What happens if you can’t find the answer?
3. How do lectures work? Is there a PowerPoint for every lecture that you can download beforehand?
4. Do profs always come to class?
5. Are there still test/quizzes? Or just exams?
6. What do you need to after each lecture? Just review? Is there still assigned homework?
7. What are labs?
8. What are some other differences between high school classes and Uni classes/lectures?

Rez

1. If I am in the AFM program, it is mandatory that I live in V1? Or is it just recommended?
2. V1 has one large single-sex washroom for 14-16 students. Even with the daily housecleaning staff, does it get dirty? :/
3. How is the caf food? What are some off-campus restaurants that students typically go to?

Random

1. What are some exec positions I can apply for in terms of councils? For example, are there any year ones in the student committees for AFSA? (http://www.uwafsa.ca/?page_id=5921)
2. What does your typical day look like? :D
3. If you were trying to convince me to go to the AFM program, what would you say? xD

I didn’t realize I typed this much. TBH, I was just typing in whatever questions came to mind.
It would be great if I can have all of them answered though! ^ ^

Thank you, guys! :D

Check your inbox, and do what Junction said. Ask for someone in AFM that lives in V1 LLC if possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
Caveman -could you answer this question on here? :P

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AdJan AdJan

@weewuu wrote

Rez

I can give you a bit of insight on this, I visited UW's campus and talked to student in AFM and V1 personally.

1. No it's not mandatory, however it is a living learning community so generally you will be living with other AFM students. Advantages I would guess that it makes you feel very close with each other and makes it easy to find study groups. A possible disadvantage is the same as the advantage; you're living with the same exact people you see in some classes. It is more difficult, not impossible to say the least, to branch out and meet other students in other programs (other students in different programs do still live in V1, just the diversity is decreased compared to other residences).

2. Everyone says its pretty empty in the washrooms because everyone has different schedules which they follow. Example, being a student starts class at 8am while another starts their class at 1pm. Bathrooms do get dirty, however I don't think they will be nothing like general public washrooms where everyone uses it and does whatever they want in there. Everyone living in residence is going to be using the same bathroom everyday, so they're not going to abuse it and leave, they'll have more respect than you think. However, the bathrooms do get dirtier as the day goes on just from general usage.

3. Everyone says caf food at V1 blows; no joke everyone does say that. Other than on-campus eateries there is a plaza right next to UW with a plethora of restaurants; Chinese food, Indian food, Harveys, bars, etc. The quality of this food I hear is better and cheaper than the food on campus. Don't hold me to #3 because personally I have not experienced all of the off campus food compared to on campus.

**cavemen care to forward me the PM? I'd like to know some answers to those questions too. :)

& just to the OP and the overall decision, I still think you should take Ivey without looking back. Your posts are worrying about not getting accepted into Ivey after 2nd year, and I think as much as you see potential in AFM, if you got rejected from Ivey after 2nd year, you wouldn't be content with completing AFM anymore. That's how I personally feel that you're responding to other people's replies who push AFM.

I think you are considering AFM over Ivey AEO because you don't want to do the two years of a different program before Ivey begins and you want to make better use of them than going to BMOS or whatever. If you accept AEO, you're a basic shoe in for Ivey after 2nd year. However is taking that risk, of not using AEO status, worth it for you if you don't happened to be accepted after 2nd year?
You need to consider the short run (AFM) versus the long run (Ivey) as I see it in your situation.

P.S. I'm not against AFM at all, it's actually my first choice. You seem very set on Ivey though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I currently live in V1. I don't get why so many people are scared of the V1 washrooms... It's standard dormitory style living. University residences used to only be of this type (Sharing Washrooms, No Kitchen). Schools now have been putting in suites but chances are if you live on residence, you'll be living in a residence similar to V1 no matter what school you go to.

I'll try my best to answer weewuu's questions.

Class:

1) In first year, most of your classes will have 200 students. A lot of people don't go to class though. In AFM, you'll have a couple classes that are quite small like around 60 people.
2) Generally, profs answer students questions when they raise their hand.
3) Depends on course/prof. The new trend is to have profs post lecture slides online if people want to print them before hand. I felt it was sufficient to just bring a notebook and take notes in Lecture though since it's better to write things down.
4) Yes. I've heard bad stories at all schools with sh*tty profs just skipping lectures. This won't happen at UW for AFM rest assured.
5) There is a midterm (Sometimes 2) and an exam. There are sometimes assignments with small weightings that serve as the point as tests (Making sure the material is retained). Although I know in AFM some courses have quizzes.
6) Theoretically, you should review the material after a lecture. Almost no one does this realistically lol. People are natural procrastinators.
7) Labs are just part of a course. For e.g. in AFM I believe they have a math lab where they go in and are given work for marks to be completed by the end of the lab. Labs can be different for different courses. You'll also have tutorials. It's just a time slot where you can go in for a course where you can get help from a TA. Generally there is assigned optional work from a tutorial that is given for practise.
8) From my experience so far, there are a lot of differences. It depends on the courses though. Obviously more material is covered in less time. You can go long periods of just attending lectures without retaining information (This goes back to your questions on tests). High school teachers babysit their students in general compared to University.

Rez
1) No, nothing is mandatory
2) I answered above
3) I hated V1 cafe food. I stopped eating there after first semester

Random
1) If you're into AFM, there is AFSA. I was actually an AFSA deputy executive in first year before I switched out of SAF. But other than that, there are lots of councils, I'm sure you'll find something.
2) Typical day? Wake up at 9:00. Go to class from 9:30 - 12:30 ish. Eat Lunch. Loaft for a while. Do some sort of physical activity. Eat Dinner. Do some assignment work. Chill with friends. Sleep.
3) I switched out of SAF so I have nothing to say for this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
for any of the non-suite residences (including st.jeromes in this), is there a kitchen+lounge (or just kitchen mainly) at the end of the hall (or even basement :P ) for students to use? or is there none at all?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Windsongs4 wrote
for any of the non-suite residences (including st.jeromes in this), is there a kitchen+lounge (or just kitchen mainly) at the end of the hall (or even basement :P ) for students to use? or is there none at all?

There's usually a lounge with microwave + fridge. I've seen kitchens in non-suite lounges before but it's very rare.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of weewuu weewuu

@Junction wrote

Would you say that those three friends of yours that applied to Ivey and got in are at/near the top of the class?

@AdJan:
LOL, I will never be 100% Ivey AEO or AFM, but I know that I will have to sacrifice one option. I feel like choosing a university is the biggest choice we ever had to make at our age. Especially since you will never really know if you made the right choice or not. There are just too many possibilities! ):

Does anybody know what order the AFM acceptances come out in? More specifically, do the PA (CA) applicants receive offers before the FM (BF) ones? Also, are offers sent on a rolling basis or in batches?

Thanks to everyone that helped answer my questions!! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@weewuu wrote

@Junction wrote

Would you say that those three friends of yours that applied to Ivey and got in are at/near the top of the class?

@AdJan:
LOL, I will never be 100% Ivey AEO or AFM, but I know that I will have to sacrifice one option. I feel like choosing a university is the biggest choice we ever had to make at our age. Especially since you will never really know if you made the right choice or not. There are just too many possibilities! ):

Does anybody know what order the AFM acceptances come out in? More specifically, do the PA (CA) applicants receive offers before the FM (BF) ones? Also, are offers sent on a rolling basis or in batches?

They come in all at once (save maybe a couple where they screw up or something). Offers to CA and B&F come in at the same time. (at least they did last 2 years)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Waterloo is much better in terms of pure co-op placement numbers. Even in Ivey HBA, I don't think the employment levels stack up to Waterloo co-op.

That being said... go to Waterloo if you're sure you want to do accounting. If you want to do anything else, I'd personally recommend Ivey, as although its strengths may be finance, you'll have the opportunity to pretty much any field of business. Going to Ivey and then doing accounting is kind of silly though. It's not accelerated by ICAO so you'd have to take summer courses or additional courses after your HBA to get your CA. It's also a fair amount of dollar bills without realizing any of Waterloo's benefits.

If you want to do accounting and still want to go to Western, you might be better staying in MOS all four years (not a joke).

P.S the traditional bathrooms at Western are pretty filthy
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dimethylamylamine dimethylamylamine

@onlymatthew wrote
Waterloo is much better in terms of pure co-op placement numbers. Even in Ivey HBA, I don't think the employment levels stack up to Waterloo co-op.

UW co-op placement rate is unreal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@weewuu wrote

@Junction wrote

Grade-wise, I would say they are in the top 25% of the class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ivey312 ivey312
Transferring to Ivey is a lot easier than getting a job in Finance. I don't think you should be worried about getting into Ivey after 2nd year since its not that difficult. You should think more about whether or not you would be willing to transfer since it would be a change in culture and you would have to make new friends etc. I'm in Ivey and I have some friends who transferred from other schools and a lot of them found it to be a difficult transition. The culture is different, recruiting is different and the case method is different. I'm not saying you can't adapt, but I do know some people that are not too happy. Some were top students at their old schools but weren't able to adjust to Ivey and get Finance jobs for the summer. Both are good programs but I chose Ivey since I wasn't sure I wanted to do accounting. Ivey just gave me a lot more flexibility and I'm really happy with my choice. Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JR24 JR24

@ivey312 wrote
Transferring to Ivey is a lot easier than getting a job in Finance. I don't think you should be worried about getting into Ivey after 2nd year since its not that difficult. You should think more about whether or not you would be willing to transfer since it would be a change in culture and you would have to make new friends etc. I'm in Ivey and I have some friends who transferred from other schools and a lot of them found it to be a difficult transition. The culture is different, recruiting is different and the case method is different. I'm not saying you can't adapt, but I do know some people that are not too happy. Some were top students at their old schools but weren't able to adjust to Ivey and get Finance jobs for the summer. Both are good programs but I chose Ivey since I wasn't sure I wanted to do accounting. Ivey just gave me a lot more flexibility and I'm really happy with my choice. Hope this helps!

Hey Ivey 312 I was wondering what kind of grades you need to have to get Finance jobs out of your grad year (top 25%?)

Also what courses do you recommend 1st and 2nd year that would help us at the actual HBA1&2, thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic

@JR24 wrote

@ivey312 wrote

Hey Ivey 312 I was wondering what kind of grades you need to have to get Finance jobs out of your grad year (top 25%?)

Also what courses do you recommend 1st and 2nd year that would help us at the actual HBA1&2, thanks!

Grades =/= jobs. Grades play a very small part in finding a job.

Networking skills, a diverse resume that reflects your interests (and not just resume stuffing!) and interview skills count are more significant factors.
Was this helpful? Yes 0