yconic - Ivey vs. All
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ivey vs. All

A photo of JSH10 JSH10
People always talk about how Ivey is tops for finance (banking S&T you name it) but nobody ever talks about how Ivey has 600 people in each graduating class, and the majority are ACTUALLY looking to get into finance, thus the competition is much more fierce.

Other lesser known finance schools such as Schulich or Laurier on the other hand have A LOT less people aiming for finance, and less students in the graduating class.

Just as a disclaimer, I am all for Ivey for finance (want to go into S&T myself) and it is actually my first choice (by far), but does anybody want to comment on this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
If you want S&T why go Ivey? Majority of people working in BB S&T come from a quantitative background (I.e. engineering or math). Best bet for S&T is MathDD.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
When you are applying for jobs, I don't think that they allot "OK, we are going to hire 5 students from Ivey, and 5 from Laurier". By my personal logic, I would imagine that they would simply hire the students who appear to be the best. So it does not really matter whether you go to Laurier or Ivey in that regard, you will still be competing against the people who are interested in that same job, whether they are your classmates or not.
However, I can see how getting extracurriculars involving finance or having the top marks in finance-related courses (that make you look the best) will be difficult because people are more passionate about it there.
But look, obviously Ivey's finance program is successful because it's not just a select few people who end up achieving success, it's because the graduating class as a whole gains success. So, yeah, you might not be #1, but you are still on pretty good grounds. Hope that comforts you a little. Don't let your fear of the competition bring you down.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

exactly it has nothing to do with the school. With Ivey, you don't get a strong quantiative background meaning you can't do crap with math. It may be a target for ibanking or consulting, etc. on the corporate side of finance.

But when it comes to S&T, you don't have the skills from the program to succeed in S&T. Doesn't mean you can't get an S&T job - Im sure there are many people in S&T from Ivey.

If you don't believe me, which of course you shouldn't, read this: it's about S&T. http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/st-waterloo
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JSH10 JSH10

@immaculatedx wrote
exactly it has nothing to do with the school. With Ivey, you don't get a strong quantiative background meaning you can't do crap with math. It may be a target for ibanking or consulting, etc. on the corporate side of finance.

But when it comes to S&T, you don't have the skills from the program to succeed in S&T. Doesn't mean you can't get an S&T job - Im sure there are many people in S&T from Ivey.

If you don't believe me, which of course you shouldn't, read this: it's about S&T. http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/st-waterloo

Already read that and have spoken to various Ivey alumni and they are willing to help me out for S&T, and ivey places fairly well in terms of S&T. Of course the DD's place a lot better, but I am not interested in doing 5 years of an undergrad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
How do you figure out which Business sector you want to work in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote

Notsureifsrs.jpg
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote

Notsureifsrs.jpg

lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote

If you are serious, all you have to do is read&research as well as talk to people in different industries
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Thatguy Thatguy
To me, competition is not a major contributing factor to my decision to go to Ivey. I want to go there to receive the best education I can get in finance. If there are 600 other members in the Ivey community, then all the better because I know they are the best of the best and I can learn from them. By having such a vast amount of human talent, it allows me to start networking early.

Ivey is only a stepping stone to my goal. The more the advantage a school can give me, the better, regardless of competition.

Just my personal thoughts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Thatguy wrote
To me, competition is not a major contributing factor to my decision to go to Ivey. I want to go there to receive the best education I can get in finance. If there are 600 other members in the Ivey community, then all the better because I know they are the best of the best and I can learn from them. By having such a vast amount of human talent, it allows me to start networking early.

Ivey is only a stepping stone to my goal. The more the advantage a school can give me, the better, regardless of competition.

Just my personal thoughts.

I like your thinking. +1 :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0