yconic - Ivey vs. Laurier BBA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ivey vs. Laurier BBA

A photo of JulieSkater JulieSkater
I know this kind of sounds like an easy choice. But is the tutiton REALLY worth it? Ivey is SO expensive.

My other concern is my first two years.

I'm accepted into Arts and Humanities with a probable switch to Social Sciences either now or before second year. That doesn't seem that necessary for any sort of job? If I don't go to Ivey, bc it isnt guranteed, im kinda SOL...

but I love the leadership skills and Case Study method of Ivey, it is a unique experience

Any thoughts on a choice here?

And please explain, I know all the info on each school, I just really need a different outlook on this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
31 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Really it depends what you want. Whatever it may be, if you think Laurier can get you that same thing with the same ease as Ivey, then go to Laurier.

Otherwise, go to Ivey - don't worry too much about the tution. Sure it's pretty high for HBA but you'll find solid internships and there are a lot of financing options available.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nazarus nazarus
honey, anything is better than Howard Community College
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
You could always transfer after 2nd year. Your marks will need to be higher than if you had AEO status entering from Western, but nothing impossible.

You would get the benefit of cheap tuition at Laurier and co-op for one year (possibly).

What are you planning on going through for? If it's something like accounting, then Laurier may be way more bang for your buck. But if it's finance...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
You could always transfer after 2nd year. Your marks will need to be higher than if you had AEO status entering from Western, but nothing impossible.

You would get the benefit of cheap tuition at Laurier and co-op for one year (possibly).

What are you planning on going through for? If it's something like accounting, then Laurier may be way more bang for your buck. But if it's finance...

Except, if you enroll in the co-op stream, you won't have the necessary amount of credits to transfer to Ivey in 2nd year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@nazarus wrote

@g93 wrote

Except, if you enroll in the co-op stream, you won't have the necessary amount of credits to transfer to Ivey in 2nd year.

The first work term is in the spring/summer. You would still have 4 study terms completed with the same amount of credits as someone not in co-op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jeffhe Jeffhe
It is without question that Ivey is more renowned than Laurier, however Laurier has many things that Ivey doesn't like coop and much cheaper tuition. In terms of getting a job, I think what matters more is the individual than the university. The fact that you got accepted to Ivey already proves that you are a strong individual. Having said that, if money is really a concern for you, I think you should be confident to choose Laurier over Ivey. Either way, you have the potential to succeed. The only difference is which path you choose to attain that success :) Good luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@nazarus wrote

@g93 wrote

The first work term is in the spring/summer. You would still have 4 study terms completed with the same amount of credits as someone not in co-op.

You're absolutely right. I stand corrected.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm in the same situation but I'm leaning towards Laurier because I want to pursue the CA designation, tuition is cheaper and Co-op can give me needed experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
Go to Ivey...

Coop is great, but it shouldn't persuade you to limit yourself from the many more doors Ivey will open for you. Besides, a whopping 98% get summer internships at Ivey, and they teach their students great interviewing and networking skills so you shouldn't feel you're missing out on much. While I agree the tuition may not be worth it if you're somehow absolutely set on accounting, but I honestly don't see why everyone gets a hard on by CAs. You shouldn't limit yourself to one profession, and the skills you acquire at Ivey (with their cased based teaching) could help you move on to different careers (even if you decide to get your CA first).

As g3 said, if you were looking for anything but accounting this shouldn't even be a disussion; Ivey wins hands down.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You could always go to Laurier for your first 2 years and then transfer to Ivey. I understand that you will be given preference over someone who has never received Ivey AEO status previously.When making the decision remember that it all depends on what you want to specialize in to make sure it is worth paying that extra tuition.

Ian sharer could you give me more reasons why a person should choose Ivey>Laurier if their set on becoming a CA? Remember I'm still in the process of deciding.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@dxb2ont wrote
You could always go to Laurier for your first 2 years and then transfer to Ivey. I understand that you will be given preference over someone who has never received Ivey AEO status previously.When making the decision remember that it all depends on what you want to specialize in to make sure it is worth paying that extra tuition.

Ian sharer could you give me more reasons why a person should choose Ivey>Laurier if their set on becoming a CA? Remember I'm still in the process of deciding.

He said for anything but accounting, Ivey wins hands-down. But...

-Ivey is fully accredited by ICAO
-Ivey is quite arguably the best business school in Canada
-best alumni network
-international reputation (well, as much as Canadian schools get)
-case study method and excellent profs.

... among other things.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jeffhe wrote
It is without question that Ivey is more renowned than Laurier, however Laurier has many things that Ivey doesn't like coop and much cheaper tuition. In terms of getting a job, I think what matters more is the individual than the university. The fact that you got accepted to Ivey already proves that you are a strong individual. Having said that, if money is really a concern for you, I think you should be confident to choose Laurier over Ivey. Either way, you have the potential to succeed. The only difference is which path you choose to attain that success :) Good luck

+ 1

Ivey is better but if Laurier suits your needs better...perhaps that is a better option. Like you said, you've done your research so you know what's up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sali4 sali4

@Jeffhe wrote

I completely agree, I really should use this to justify to a lot of people who have degraded my decision of even thinking of choosing Laurier over Ivey, its not about the university as much as its about the individual. Secondly, I have come across two IVEY HBA grads who are not able to find jobs, mainly because of lack of exp.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of illusive illusive
The tuition is definitely worth it... go to Ivey. I haven't heard of anyone who has graduated from Laurier BBA and got a job at a prestigious company. Ivey is internationally recognized and all the high-end corporations and investing firms take first picks from Ivey graduates.
Ivey > Laurier... no doubt.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kdesjardins kdesjardins
Laurier is a fantastic option. However, I do not think that the two plus two program is anything to be afraid of. Also, when considering the tuition, I believe the saying "you get what you pay for" holds truth here. Remember Ivey is still a public university, they do have an accountability to their students. Its not like your money is going nowhere.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@illusive wrote
The tuition is definitely worth it... go to Ivey. I haven't heard of anyone who has graduated from Laurier BBA and got a job at a prestigious company. Ivey is internationally recognized and all the high-end corporations and investing firms take first picks from Ivey graduates.

You obviously haven't heard of many people from Laurier.

Laurier students get good jobs, it's just that Ivey students get more good jobs, therefore Ivey is the better school. The only area where Laurier is competitive with Ivey is accounting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@illusive wrote

Yeah because Research in Motion isn't prestigious **rolls eyes**
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jmb jmb
LOL ^
+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@illusive wrote

Uh, high-end corporations and investing firms do not "take first picks from Ivey graduates". Ivey graduates are able to land many of these jobs, no doubt, but that is due to their outstanding alumni network, being well-prepared students who enter Ivey as top students, and to a lesser extent the Ivey name and knowing that Ivey has consistently produced top talent. But firms don't go to Ivey and take x number of students just because it's Ivey. If all the students happened to be sh** they would take none that year. Same as any other school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@illusive wrote

Uh, high-end corporations and investing firms do not "take first picks from Ivey graduates". Ivey graduates are able to land many of these jobs, no doubt, but that is due to their outstanding alumni network, being well-prepared students who enter Ivey as top students, and to a lesser extent the Ivey name and knowing that Ivey has consistently produced top talent. But firms don't go to Ivey and take x number of students just because it's Ivey. If all the students happened to be sh** they would take none that year. Same as any other school.

In my honest opinion, a degree from Ivey or Laurier would get you the interview (sure if there's 1 spot left, the Ivey guy will get it). From there it's all how well you do at the interview.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@illusive wrote

There are certain companies that exclusively recruit from Ivey only.

Yeah because Research in Motion isn't prestigious **rolls eyes**

It isn't. I would never want to work for RIM as a student or a recent graduate. Every other student from Laurier or Brock has had a position there. It's a "co-op" farm, probably just in it for the tax credits.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Lol RIM hires mainly from Waterloo and Laurier. Not many from Ivey. Jim Balsillie has also donated to the two schools. Now why would he donate to a "crappy" school?

And RIM isn't prestigious??? OK lets remove every blackberry out there then...Oh wait all Ivey/Queen's/McGill/Schulich/Laurier/ANY BUSINESSMAN uses one. Now we have Ivey grads whining about having to buy an iPhone...To say it's not prestigious...well then can you care to explain what IS prestigious?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote
Lol RIM hires mainly from Waterloo and Laurier. Not many from Ivey. Jim Balsillie has also donated to the two schools. Now why would he donate to a "crappy" school?

And RIM isn't prestigious??? OK lets remove every blackberry out there then...Oh wait all Ivey/Queen's/McGill/Schulich/Laurier/ANY BUSINESSMAN uses one. Now we have Ivey grads whining about having to buy an iPhone...To say it's not prestigious...well then can you care to explain what IS prestigious?

Any company is prestigious to work for... even Walmart... at an excuitive position that is. Though, the prestige of RIM as a company is up for debate, what I am saying is that RIM recruits many low level positions on mass, from many Ontario schools. Working for RIM as a recent graduate or on a CO-OP position is not exclusive or prestigious, you one of hundreds if not thousands of students that have or currently do, and the corporate ladder would be nearly impossible to climb.

But for interests sake, I also would never work for RIM because you would be indefinitely out of a job in a few years. RIM is still too high off their "original invention of the smartphone", has and will eventually loose the market. Their Blackberry lineup isn't what it used to be... mainly because it hasn't changed.

http://www.taipanpublishinggroup.com/tpg/taipan-daily/taipan-daily-050311ryan.html
http://weblogs.dailypress.com/technology/pressforward/blog/2011/05/rim_blackberry_losing_ground_t.html
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kdesjardins wrote
Any company is prestigious to work for... even Walmart...

his totally contradicts what you said when you said RIM isn't prestigious.

@kdesjardins wrote
I am saying is that RIM recruits many low level positions on mass, from many Ontario schools. Working for RIM as a recent graduate or on a CO-OP position is not exclusive or prestigious, you one of hundreds if not thousands of students that have or currently do, and the corporate ladder would be nearly impossible to climb.

es but none more than Waterloo and Laurier. And you think that ANY business is going to immediately throw you into an executive position without any work experience? Even if you graduate from Harvard you still have the climb the ladder. There's a reason many CEO's are above 40 or even 50 for that matter.

@kdesjardins wrote
Working for RIM as a recent graduate or on a CO-OP position is not exclusive or prestigious

o now you're saying no companies are prestigious immediately after graduation.

You said Laurier students did not get jobs at prestigious companies. RIM is great, they get great accounting jobs as well...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kdesjardins wrote

@Username81 wrote

Any company is prestigious to work for... even Walmart... at an excuitive position that is. Though, the prestige of RIM as a company is up for debate, what I am saying is that RIM recruits many low level positions on mass, from many Ontario schools. Working for RIM as a recent graduate or on a CO-OP position is not exclusive or prestigious, you one of hundreds if not thousands of students that have or currently do, and the corporate ladder would be nearly impossible to climb.

But for interests sake, I also would never work for RIM because you would be indefinitely out of a job in a few years. RIM is still too high off their "original invention of the smartphone", has and will eventually loose the market. Their Blackberry lineup isn't what it used to be... mainly because it hasn't changed.

http://www.taipanpublishinggroup.com/tpg/taipan-daily/taipan-daily-050311ryan.html
http://weblogs.dailypress.com/technology/pressforward/blog/2011/05/rim_blackberry_losing_ground_t.html

You could get a position at GS as a secretary, or a janitor (although they probably contract that out), it doesn't mean it is a prestigious position.

So of course you can get a non-prestigious job at a prestigious company.

I think your numbers for RIM co-op students might be a little off. They do hire a lot, but most are in tech-related positions, eg. software engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, and even mechanical engineering, and many of these people come from Waterloo (I think UofT lands the second most). There are business-related positions available, with most coming in sales-related areas. They don't hire that many people. They do favour UW and WLU students slightly, and a lot of them apply since it's virtually next door.

RIM's financials are still strong. Their sales/revenue/profit is still rising, maybe not the same as Apple, but then again who is? (surpassed Google as the world's #1 brand ranked by Millward Brown) RIM has the technology available, they have so many patents and so many good ideas. Their problem recently has been that they have been getting too cheap with the Blackberry and not focusing on the strengths that originally made them a success. They are still very likely to turn things around. Their R&D department is working feverishly to climb the ranks once again.

Was this helpful? Yes 0